Old Iron - Blackstone Generator

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

fcwlp
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed.

I install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems in my area and consult on solar system design/operation.

Old Iron - Blackstone Generator

Post by fcwlp »

I recently acquired a new customer that has been off-grid for longer than solar panels have been around (our town only got electricity in 1965). Current system uses four VFXR3648s and five FMxx CCs but retains the original 3-phase Blackstone diesel generator. The Blackstone is an impressive piece of hardware that is bit larger and much noisier than the new Hondas, Kohlers, Generacs, etc. I recommend turning the volume up as even at max volume on my computer it is not as loud as in person. :grin:

Blackstone generator running - https://drive.google.com/file/d/16BaNbC ... sp=sharing
Blackstone generator exhaust - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yt3E9L ... sp=sharing
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Old Iron - Blackstone Generator

Post by raysun »

Holy Cow!

You DO NOT want to be down wind of that beast!
fcwlp
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed.

I install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems in my area and consult on solar system design/operation.

Post by fcwlp »

It has been two hours and my ears are still ringing.
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 48v OB inverter and charge controller, hub and mate3s.

Post by JRHill »

That is a hoot. I love it! It brings back a memory. An acquaintance loaned me a JD 730 single cylinder with the factory loader. It was like one of those power units at the county fair where it would hit every once in a while to keep it spinning when the governor called for it. Under load the thing could give you whiplash until you spinned it up a few more RPM. I mean a very few RPM. Torque? Loud? Oh yeah. The carburetor wasn't to much advanced from a bowl the spilled fuel into the intake.

And like your video you could count the ignition stokes easily. It was one heavy chunk of cast iron and steel. You would be challenged to stall it and breathe at the same time.