Where can I find wiring diagrams for connecting an EnergyCell battery to an existing setup?

Discussion about the OutBack Energy Cell Batteries
profmweiss
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: 7.29 kW PV array (Jinko panels) with a 7.6 kW SolarEdge 240V single-phase inverter. No battery storage (yet), looking to add an OutBack EnergyCell battery to our system

Where can I find wiring diagrams for connecting an EnergyCell battery to an existing setup?

Post by profmweiss »

Hi folks,
We have an existing PV array without battery storage and are looking to add some battery storage to our existing system. All of the solar installers in my area either only sell complete turnkey systems, so don't want to work with someone who already has panels and an inverter, or only work with the Tesla Powerwall, which I am not interested in. Based on some reading online it seems that the OutBack EnergyCell 800RE might work well with our setup, but as I am neither an electrician nor a DIYer I don't dare approach this job myself. I contacted a local electrician and asked him for a quote on connecting the EnergyCell battery to our setup, but he said he would need to see a wiring diagram first before he could give me any information.

The wiring diagrams page at https://www.outbackpower.com/resources/ ... g-diagrams doesn't seem to have what I am looking for -- or if it does, I lack the expertise to find it. Can someone help me locate the information I need so that I can pass it along to the contractor that I hope will be able to work with us?
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Re: Where can I find wiring diagrams for connecting an EnergyCell battery to an existing setup?

Post by raysun »

Is the installed SolarEdge system configured to accept a 48 Volt battery? If so, connection of a lead acid battery like the 800RE is going to consist of battery (+ and -) cables, with b(+) routed through a properly sized circuit breaker, and b(-) through a battery monitor sensing shunt most likely. An install guide is available here: https://www.altestore.com/static/datafi ... 0Guide.pdf
That's a big, expensive battery.
It's pretty much in the cost ballpark of the LG RESU lithium ion batteries SolarEdge claims are compatible. I don't have experience with that brand, but lithium ion may be a better choice for integration and service life.
provo
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Evergreen EC-120 (4 strings, total 1920W)
2 SimpliPhi 3.8-m-24V (150Ah each)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC
Honda EU3000is generator
Grid connection, no selling back

Re: Where can I find wiring diagrams for connecting an EnergyCell battery to an existing setup?

Post by provo »

It's unlikely you'll be able to simply add batteries to the existing system.

SolarEdge has a "StorEdge" inverter, but as Raysun noted, the battery selection may be limited. Otherwise your best option would be to add a second inverter (like an Outback Radian) that does support a wide variety of batteries, and then use AC coupling between the SolarEdge, the Radian, and the batteries.

Do a search in this forum on AC coupling -- it's a hot topic right now :grin: .

Also check out this page in the Outback website:

https://www.outbackpower.com/applications/ac-coupling
fcwlp
Forum Emperor
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed.

I install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems in my area and consult on solar system design/operation.

Post by fcwlp »

Please provide the SolarEdge inverter model number. There were some SolarEdge inverters that used a 48V battery but to my knowledge all current SolarEdge inverters are designed only for the high voltage batteries from SolarEdge or LG Chem.
If your inverter is an HDWave model it is definitely a HV model. Options then are:
- Go with the HV batteries and additional hardware that is required, while understanding the risks of using a lithium-NMC vs LFP chemistry. (NMC chemistry is capable of thermal runaway and is one reason LG Chem recalled all their batteries last year.) I have made a decision to not install NMC chemistry lithium batteries on any occupied structure.
- Use AC coupling to as previously described.
Mike Curran
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Outback - Garage roof (2007/2017):
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one FM80 (2007/2020 - replaced MX60)
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80 (2017)
- 2 grid-tied VFXR3524A-01's series stacked, replaced GVFX's (2020)
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah (2007)
- Hub10.3, Mate3s, FNDC, RTS. Tigo ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar - Barn roof: (2012)
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied

Outback Skybox - Barn roof: (2019)
- 14 Talesun 275W in series (DC array input to SB inverter/charger)
- 3 SimpliPhi 3.8 batteries, 48V, 225Ah total
- AC coupled input from 14 Talesun 275W, Enphase M215 microinverters

Battery systems operate in grid-tied, net metering w/backup mode
All self-designed and self-installed

Post by Mike Curran »

If you need to add a battery-based inverter for AC coupling, if I were you I would consider Outback's Mojave hybrid inverter, which is designed specifically for an AC coupling application. https://outbackpower.com/products/item/mojave-inverter Outback also offers a Mojave package that includes a battery but it's the type fcwlp is not recommending. The Mojave quick start guide has a wiring diagram but it may not be what your electrician is looking for. Https://outbackpower.com/downloads/docu ... ve_qsg.pdf
https://ei.tigoenergy.com/p/pZXn7SZQyO45
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Hctc107221