Generator season, Mate3, OpticsRE

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 48v OB inverter and charge controller, hub and mate3s.

Generator season, Mate3, OpticsRE

Post by JRHill »

For years I've wondered this and it is even more confusing now**: Its generator season and the genset is running and its AC pass through time. The readings on the Mate3 and OpticsRE are confusing. No problem with the AC power In going to the Charger and out to the batteries. But is the pass through being measured separately from the charging loads? It seems so but then sometimes I wonder?

It must be, otherwise the Max AC in would be meaningless. The Max AC In should be the sum of both the load for battery charging AND the pass through.

Add to this that the VFXR is in support mode - I don't remember why, I didn't annotate it. Its been that way for a while (year?). If the generator is running, the usual evening loads: If the Genset is running, the water well pump is running (~800 watts, I can see that from the system pressure gauge), What am I seeing? HOW IS THE SUPPORT mode depicted on the Mate3 or OpticsRE? Some times the well pump power load does not align with the pressure gauge with the pump running. It's not for a minute or so, it goes for a while and the data doesn't catch up

Sometimes I see a phantom 600 watt load on top of the stuff to the TV/DTV/internet and silly internal loads. I think it might be both chest freezers and both refrigerators but that is crazy because they wouldn't all start and stop at the same time.

AN AC SHUNT internal to the VFXR? Is there now log? The info is there. Can one find it?

** The T105 batteries on the water well are End-Of-Life and not usable so the well is plugged into the house 120vac and the Water Well panels/controller are shut off. When the water well pump (Grundfos AC/DC) fires up it loads the inverter. But it doesn't make sense on the Mate3.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Parallel Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Re: Generator season, Mate3, OpticsRE

Post by raysun »

The various displays, and the way different equipment/software DISPLAYS AC kW (kVA actually) is a bit confusing.
First about the generator pass through to the house loads. It doesn't seem to be directly measured at all. At least not directly displayed. Rather the remainder of Generator kVA - Charging kVA = Pass Through kVA.
20221123_130207.jpg
System showing about .3kVA inverter load and PV charging.
20221123_130240.jpg
System showing Generator AC input (3.7kVA) Inverter Charger output (3.3kVA), and PV charging. House Load: 3.7 - 3.3 = 0.4kVA

Support is selected because it uses the generator more efficiently than Generator mode. If Support were to actually "kick in" on a house load greater than the generator output, there would be 0kVA going to charging, and some amount of Inverting. How much? Total House Load - Generator AC Input. I believe Optics changes the "Right Now, You Are" to Support. The Mate Web app changes the Inverter line to Support on the status screen.
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 48v OB inverter and charge controller, hub and mate3s.

Post by JRHill »

Hmm, for as long as I've spent looking at OpticRE, maybe my eyes have screen burn. I don't believe I've ever seen "Right Now, You Are" to Support".

Wouldn't this show up in the Event History? Never seen it.

I am done thinking OB stuff is intuitive. But then I sympathize: who's intuition?
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Parallel Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

It's doubtful you've ever drawn enough load to need more than your generator can put out, so it's likely the inverter never switched into Support.
If you're curious, set the Gen Input AC Limit to a low value (try 8A or so), crank up the generator, then turn on your largest loads (up to the inverter limit, but 2kW should be enough.) The system should start inverting and blending that with the generator output.