Radian Temp Sensor Fault/Failure

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability
jakobw
Forum Member
My RE system: 20x150W Sharp Panels
FM80
GS4048A
MATE3S
100AH LifePo4

Radian Temp Sensor Fault/Failure

Post by jakobw »

Hey guys,

I've got a Radian GS4048A showing both a fan failure and an internal temperature sensor failure. It looks to be for the right module based on the data from OPTICSRE. I haven't opened up the inverter yet but I was wondering if this was a common issue? Should I be looking for a replacement sensor and fan? The unit was only installed 2 1/2 months ago and the fault started 2 weeks ago.

I'll update once I've had a look inside. Hopefully today or tomorrow.

Thanks!
Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Re: Radian Temp Sensor Fault/Failure

Post by Greg T Fordan »

In a GS8048A, there is no right module, just left. It is the big, rectangular box where the fan is attached to the top.
To test if the fan is functioning: Turn the battery disconnect off, then turn it on. The fan will do a self-test and run for several seconds. If it doesn't, it is most likely a fan problem. No, fan failure 2 months after install is not a common issue.
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies
jakobw
Forum Member
FM80
GS4048A
MATE3S
100AH LifePo4

Post by jakobw »

Thanks for getting back to me Greg. I took the cover off just now and I can see there is only a left module just as you mentioned. However, I do want to clarify I have the GS4048A rather than the GS8048A.

After taking the cover off, I found the fan was not running. I rebooted the inverter (disconnect off/disconnect on) and the fan started right away. It ran at full speed and then slowly throttled to 0. At this point, the MATE3S logged an active fan failure. The fan spun up again to around 15% it sounded like and then stopped a second time. Then the MATE3 also logged a temperature sensor failure, same as before. And both failures are currently showing active.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Greg T Fordan

Post by Greg T Fordan »

Jakobw, that was a typo. I meant GS4048A.

Yeah, I think I now know what the problem is. I dig through your Events history. On 10/24 you changed the setting of your Module Control from LEFT to BOTH. I assume this is the time when you started getting those 2 errors. Then, yesterday, you changed it from BOTH to AUTO, and still having same issues.
SOLUTION: Go back to the setting of LEFT for Module Control and you will never have that problem again.
Good luck. I hope I am right.

Greg
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
jakobw
Forum Member
FM80
GS4048A
MATE3S
100AH LifePo4

Post by jakobw »

Ah!

When I changed that, I was under the impression the GS4048A had 2 modules and I was trying to balance the charging load rather than having it completely on the left module. My mistake! The fault has completely cleared now.

Thanks Greg!
Greg T Fordan

Post by Greg T Fordan »

You're welcome. I'm glad you are error free now. :smile:
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
drawthow
Forum Member
My RE system: Flexnet-dc
Fm80-150dc
Gs4048a
Mate3s

Post by drawthow »

Greg

I have been having the same problem for quite sometime. Looked at the setting you recommended and mine were set to auto as well, when back to left and the problem went away. I believe this changes when I flashed the firmware. Could the firmware have that as a default? GS Firmware: 001.006.070