Need someone to repair my inverter, Charlotte NC

A place to post images and descriptions of your OutBack Power System

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

daveanthes
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Outback Flexware GVFX3648

Need someone to repair my inverter, Charlotte NC

Post by daveanthes »

I purchased and installed an Outback system 10 years ago. It worked perfectly until the inverter went bad a few weeks ago. I can't seem to find anyone to want to repair it. Everyone wants to sell me a new system for $20,000 - $30,000. I understand it may be old but I think that it's still usable with a new or upgraded inverter. Can anyone out there help me. I will pay for transportation if needed I've seen units out there selling for $2,500. See attached pictures of what I have.
Attachments
IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3418 (1).jpg
IMG_3416 (1).jpg
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Parallel Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Re: Need someone to repair my inverter, Charlotte NC

Post by raysun »

You might contact the folks at Zonna Energy:
https://www.zonnaenergy.com/solar-inverter-repair/
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Parallel Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

For reference.
The latest model that would be a drop-in replacement for the GVFX3648:
https://www.solar-electric.com/outback- ... erter.html

It would require as well upgrading the Mate to the Mate3s:
https://www.solar-electric.com/outback- ... oller.html
VARCEL
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: FLEXMAX 80 , WITH INVERTER

Post by VARCEL »

similar issue here, I have more troubleshooting to do but it is hard to find someone to service my system, everyone wants to upsell a system.
raysun
Forum Emperor
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

VARCEL wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:40 am similar issue here, I have more troubleshooting to do but it is hard to find someone to service my system, everyone wants to upsell a system.
Same answer. Call the folks at Zonna. They are helpful in diagnosing the problem, and if it's a failed inverter, providing parts, or repairing it.
daveanthes
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Outback Flexware GVFX3648

Post by daveanthes »

I can get a replacement inverter, I just can't find anyone that will do the work. No one
wants to unhook the old one and rehook the new one up.
raysun
Forum Emperor
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

daveanthes wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:41 am I can get a replacement inverter, I just can't find anyone that will do the work. No one
wants to unhook the old one and rehook the new one up.
That is a universal issue. Companies that do installations have their field people trained to do new installations on specific equipment. Working with old systems requires sending out their valuable, and scarce, engineering resources, as they never know what they will run into. When the homeowner gets a bill for a "simple" inverter replacement that also took hours to figure out why the original inverter failed, rewiring and component installation to bring a 10 - 20 year-old system up to current NEC and local electrical codes, and a myriad of other issues, large and small, that may crop up, the whole thing turns out to be a lose-lose for homeowner and service provider alike.

Your best bet would be to find a willing electrician who would do the job of inverter replacement, and hope there's no other issues.

The GVFX3648 is a pretty old unit. I'm guessing there's other equipment installed, but not listed in your profile. Some of it (e.g.: Mate) may need updating along with a new inverter.
Also, how the existing system is configured - grid tied, off grid - makes a difference in how the change is carried out.
Battery model and age, backup generator, solar panels and charge controllers, even availability of network/internet access, all play a role in making a swap moderately straight-forward, or hellishly complex.
You might start by filling out your profile more fully. We can help with whatever course of action you take from there, if we know fully what you're dealing with.