Inverter Stops Charging when Plugged into AXS Port

MasonVines
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: AXS Port, FlexMAX Charge Controller, FX2524MT Inverter/Charger

Inverter Stops Charging when Plugged into AXS Port

Post by MasonVines »

Our setup is as follows.
One battery bank connected to two inverters (FX 2524 MT).
Both inverters are set to Master.
The inverters are connected to a HUB (port 1 and 2) and the HUB is connected to the AXS port.

Sometimes, more often than not, the inverter plugged into port 1 will not charge the batteries. A voltage is detected, but charging will not start.
Often, as soon as I unplug the inverter from port 1, the inverter begins charging the batteries. Plug it back in, it stops.
Switch ports and whichever inverter is in port 1 will stop charging the batteries.
Unplug the HUB from the AXS Port and plug it into a MATE3s, both inverters will charge the batteries.
Any idea what the AXS port could be sending that makes the first inverter stop charging?

I realize our setup is a bit unorthodox. We have separate AC generators hooked up to each inverter, so I don't believe we can stack as slave/master.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Parallel Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Re: Inverter Stops Charging when Plugged into AXS Port

Post by raysun »

Unorthodox is one way to put it. 😉
There cannot be two Masters active on a system.
Hopefully both inverters are servicing entirely different AC load circuits, otherwise the lack of AC OUT sync would risk exhausting the magic smoke from the power FETS.
Since the inverters can operate autonomously, and have survived so far, one possible work-around is to configure each of them with the proper individual AC input and charging parameters, disconnect one of the inverters from the Hub/AXS port, then run the separated inverter charging sessions.
Not know the full extent of the system "unorthodoxy", it cannot be judged how advisable the above suggestion is. YMMV.
The best approach, of course, is to parallel stack the two inverters and feed them with a generator capable of handling the combined charging and AC "cabin" loads.
MasonVines
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: AXS Port, FlexMAX Charge Controller, FX2524MT Inverter/Charger

Post by MasonVines »

Yes, our AC load circuits are separate.
Your suggestion is where we are headed. We are using the AXS port data to populate a custom GUI. If we have to unplug it we'll just have some dead fields (not the end of the world). Another solution we're looking at is connecting to a separate AXS port, but our spare isn't working currently.

Thanks for confirming what we believed. Now I can stop trying to get it working and move on to other things.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Parallel Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

MasonVines wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:01 pm Yes, our AC load circuits are separate.
Your suggestion is where we are headed. We are using the AXS port data to populate a custom GUI. If we have to unplug it we'll just have some dead fields (not the end of the world). Another solution we're looking at is connecting to a separate AXS port, but our spare isn't working currently.

Thanks for confirming what we believed. Now I can stop trying to get it working and move on to other things.
KISS rules the day. 😄
My first system, and every similar system, struggles with operational stability at the hands of underpowered backup generators.
Fin.