Just getting started with Radian 8048 and EG4

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

markrb
Forum Member
My RE system: Canadian Solar 255W panels (20) w/Optimizers
Solar Edge SE3800A Inverter
Radian 8048A-01
EG4 LiFePower4 Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries (48V/100Ah x 3)

Just getting started with Radian 8048 and EG4

Post by markrb »

Hi Folks,
I am just getting to the point in development of my renewable system where I am trying to commission my Outback Radian 8048 with my (3) EG4 LifePo4 batteries. I bought these after a fair amount of research that showed they were compatible with my SolarEdge PV system, and that they were fairly simple to operate.
I attempted to startup the system per directions, ie just switch the batteries on, and let them power up the inverter. When I did this, I heard the clicking of the pre-charge resistors, and then each of the batteries shut down with the alarm light on in quick succession. I bought a total of 3 batteries because it was shown that 1 battery alone would not be enough to power up the Outback. It appears at this point that even 3 batteries is not enough to power up the inverter. I could use some help at this point. Can you please point me to any other discussion threads that go over this, or give any other directions that will help move me along?
I would sure appreciate it. Everything is on the line here, and I would like to get this system operational.
Thank you very much.
pss
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Re: Just getting started with Radian 8048 and EG4

Post by pss »

This is my take: I strongly suggest you contact the Chinese manufacturer and integrator of the batteries you purchased. They should be happy to help you solve your problems with your Outback equipment. I don't think its right for you to bother Outback tech support regarding this issue. Absent that solution, I suggest you return your batteries for a full refund and spend a little more money on a battery system designed and tested and which provides technical support and is compatible with your Outback equipment. Many persons on this forum will help you with that.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Parallel Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

I don't use a Radian or EG4 battery, so this is definitely comments from the Peanut Gallery...
"Econo" batteries, like the EG4 series look good on paper, but seem to be modest performers in the real world. The real-world startup of a GS8048 under load could easily draw 1000A for a very short duration. The typical startup load would be less spectacular, but 400A is not out of the question. In fact, IIRC, the spec sheet called for something in the neighborhood of 465A. I haven't studied them in depth, but don't think three EG4s are up to that spec.
To help things along with the available battery current, a stepped startup routine may be helpful:
• Turn off every "house load" circuit breaker at the main load panel.
When the system is powered up, appliances, pumps, etc., all starting at once can create an extraordinary demand for battery current. By turning off each branch circuit, now, they can be brought on line in an orderly, and less demanding manner.
• Open the AC OUTPUT disconnects.
This will relieve the battery of needing to start the inverter and service downstream load demand concurrently.
• Open the two MAIN INVERTER disconnects.
The 8048 consists of two 4048 modules and common control/power circuitry. Starting both at once may be too much for the EG4s.
• Power up the battery.
Make sure all three blocks are on line and within nominal operating specs.
• Close ONE of the MAIN INVERTER disconnects.
This should power up the system circuitry and one 4048 module. The crux of the startup will be charging the power supply main capacitor. Hopefully three EG4s have enough current capacity to do so before their BMS' or the GS8048 control logic pulls the plug.
• Close the second MAIN INVERTER disconnect.
The GS8048 should now be fully powered up and idling.
• Close the AC OUTPUT disconnects.
The "house loads" main panel should now have power available.
• Close each main panel branch circuit.

Hopefully the sequence above will keep the battery from choking on startup. If its still not up to the task, there's a couple of other hacks. Use at your own risk. YMMV.
• Create a lead acid "jump start" battery to connect in parallel with the EG4 battery for the purpose of starting the GS8048. Once started, disconnect the jump start battery. 4 of the 12V marine starter/deep cycle style batteries are ideal for this service.
• Build an external Capacitor Charge circuit to moderate the inrush current when starting the GS8048. This consists of a power resistor in line with the battery lead at startup, that is switched out of circuit after a very few seconds.

Good luck!
Last edited by raysun on Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pss
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Post by pss »

Raysun, I couldn't have said it better!
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Parallel Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

pss wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:39 am Raysun, I couldn't have said it better!
Hope it works!
provo
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Evergreen EC-120 (4 strings, total 1920W)
2 SimpliPhi 3.8-m-24V (150Ah each)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

Here's a link to a thread about this battery:

viewtopic.php?p=96504&hilit=EG4#p96504

There are others -- do a search on EG4 in the upper right corner.
mahendra
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Outback Radian 8048, Mate 3, Gs load centre, FM80

Post by mahendra »

You are going to have start up issues and surge shut off withcthis battery.
The BMS has a design fault .
The distributor does not seem to have a handle on this issue .
Your best bet is to swap the bms out overkill bms is good but JM bms is better.
Eg4 warranty sucks.