FX2532MT

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Marine Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

rwohleb
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: FX2532MT

FX2532MT

Post by rwohleb »

What is the minimum wattage genset that will let the FX2532 charge up the battery bank? I have a portable genset that is rated 1,600 continuous on propane. My diesel genset is inop so I'm looking for a temporary backup for use while at anchor.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Parallel Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Re: FX2532MT

Post by raysun »

Wow! That's a collector's item inverter model. At first I thought 2532 was a typo, but no, its a real thing! (Somebody must have had a big pile of 8V batteries in the lab.)
Looking at the specs, maximum AC Input current is 30A(AC). Maximum DC charging current is 35A(DC). The charging power, at maximum, would be around 35A x 32V = 1.1kW. I'm guessing the maximum AC Input current for the charger is about 12A.
Whether the 1.6kW rated generator will support charging depends on the loads on the inverter while charging is taking place. The generator output will be about 13A(AC), and that will be split between loads and charging. The loads have priority so will take what they need, with the remainder going to charging. If the loads exceed 1.6kW the inverter will drop the generator and draw battery power.
To make the system work as smoothly as possible set the Generator AC Input Current Limit to the rated AC output of the generator (13A or so.) Set the Charger AC Input limit to the value that safely charges the battery during Bulk. The maximum setting (12A or so) will result in 35A DC charging current.