OPTICSRE and non Outback inverter

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

wodiwodi
Forum Member
My RE system: 3kW PV primary array
1kW PV secondary array
24 Volt 1320 Ah Lead Acid battery set. Yuasu Enersun SSL consisting of 6 x 4volt units.
2 x FlexMax 80 MPPT controllers for primary array,
1 x Plasmatronics PWM Regulator, PL60, for secondary array
OB Hub4,
OB Mate2 (not currently used),
OB FLEXnet DC
OB AXS_PORT with OpticsRE
The Inverter is a 4KVA Latronics LS 4024 (it is the newer model which is actually 4.5KVA).

OPTICSRE and non Outback inverter

Post by wodiwodi »

Is there any way of having the OPTICSRE graphical representation of the flow of currents include the output to a non Outback inverter? I am aware that there is no reason why they should accommodate this sort of non proprietary information, but given it only needs to indicate that some current is flowing out of the battery as indicated in the "From battery" column in the main graph, I can't see that it would be difficult to implement.
That information is available from the shunts linked to the FNDC.
The same would apply to other forms of input such as current from a non outback CC or from a wind generator.
There are probably more important things to do but this should be easy to implement.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: OPTICSRE and non Outback inverter

Post by raysun »

wodiwodi wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:53 pm Is there any way of having the OPTICSRE graphical representation of the flow of currents include the output to a non Outback inverter? I am aware that there is no reason why they should accommodate this sort of non proprietary information, but given it only needs to indicate that some current is flowing out of the battery as indicated in the "From battery" column in the main graph, I can't see that it would be difficult to implement.
That information is available from the shunts linked to the FNDC.
The same would apply to other forms of input such as current from a non outback CC or from a wind generator.
There are probably more important things to do but this should be easy to implement.
If a shunt is configured to do so, the FNDC does show the DC current flowing from the battery to whatever is attached to the load side of the shunt. You are already seeing that, of course. With an Outback inverter connected, Optics gets information from the inverter itself, communicating via the Mate. Non-Outback inverters don't support that communication so the nature of the device (e.g. Inverter) and AC data is not available.

All three shunts on the FNDC can be connected to any compatible DC current source (or load). Outback gear will identify itself and provide additional data to Optics. Non-Outback gear is simply inldentified as "Other".

As far as getting the GUI to allow manual entry of non-Outback gear, it wouldn't be as trivial a task as it might seem. The application is architrcted on data the Mate gathers when it automatically interrogates all the (Outback) devices. A good deal of Optics operability is predicated on interacting with those "known entities".
wodiwodi
Forum Member
My RE system: 3kW PV primary array
1kW PV secondary array
24 Volt 1320 Ah Lead Acid battery set. Yuasu Enersun SSL consisting of 6 x 4volt units.
2 x FlexMax 80 MPPT controllers for primary array,
1 x Plasmatronics PWM Regulator, PL60, for secondary array
OB Hub4,
OB Mate2 (not currently used),
OB FLEXnet DC
OB AXS_PORT with OpticsRE
The Inverter is a 4KVA Latronics LS 4024 (it is the newer model which is actually 4.5KVA).

Re: OPTICSRE and non Outback inverter

Post by wodiwodi »

Thanks again for the clarity. I know that I am just suggesting companies put time into things that are likely to make greater but unnecessary complexity.

In my recent related posts I am really just trying to put aside the fact that SOC calculations and their graphical representations are simply not the gold standard of battery health. Answers are bringing me down to earth so to speak :grin: