upgrading mate to mate3s

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power
martyzman
Forum Junior Member

upgrading mate to mate3s

Post by martyzman »

Hello,

Will the mate3s "Learn" the settings of my two inverters and three charge controllers when I swap out the mate or will I need to copy out all of my existing charge controller and inverter setings to enter them into the mate3s?

Thanks... Marty
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: upgrading mate to mate3s

Post by raysun »

martyzman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:47 pm Hello,

Will the mate3s "Learn" the settings of my two inverters and three charge controllers when I swap out the mate or will I need to copy out all of my existing charge controller and inverter setings to enter them into the mate3s?

Thanks... Marty
All the charging parameter values are stored in the individual devices. When the Mate powers up, it interrogates the devices and "learns" the settings of each.
martyzman
Forum Junior Member

Post by martyzman »

raysun wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:57 pm

Thanks... Marty
All the charging parameter values are stored in the individual devices. When the Mate powers up, it interrogates the devices and "learns" the settings of each.
Does the Mate3S learn the sell settings on my GTFX2524 inverters?
martyzman
Forum Junior Member

Post by martyzman »

martyzman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:20 pm

Thanks... Marty
And thanks raysun for your original answer.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

Thanks... Marty
I'm strictly off-grid, so this I cannot answer.

Note, the Mate3s will not be able to transfer the old Mate parameters, as the two devices cannot be active at the same time and wouldn't communicate with each other anyway.

The Mate3s has parameters not included in the older Mate models. While the 3s will read in the device parameters, there may be additional settings that are undefined. I tend to walk through all the settings on the Mate to confirm values, and to assure there are no "suprises".
martyzman
Forum Junior Member

Post by martyzman »

raysun wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:34 pm

I'm strictly off-grid, so this I cannot answer.

Note, the Mate3s will not be able to transfer the old Mate parameters, as the two devices cannot be active at the same time and wouldn't communicate with each other anyway.

The Mate3s has parameters not included in the older Mate models. While the 3s will read in the device parameters, there may be additional settings that are undefined. I tend to walk through all the settings on the Mate to confirm values, and to assure there are no "suprises".
No Problems on the Grid Tied config. I'm sure I will figure it out. I realized there would be newer settings and startup configs in the Mate3s that are not included my existing Mate. Sure would be nice to dump the Mate to a file that the Mate3s could read. Hmmm, suggestion for the Devs??? Would make our installer jobs a lot easier.

Anyway, thanks again raysun for the information.