blackdiamondff
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Radian 8048
3 FlexMAX DC 100
Blue ION 2.0 48v
14kw Kohler 14res off grid generator

How to integrate Sundanzer 24v Freezer

Post by blackdiamondff »

I recently acquired a 12v/24v Sundanzer freezer, and am trying to find the best way to integrate this into my system. I've seen a few posts on here, but nothing quite matches. Basically it looks like I should ideally install a DC distribution panel with low batter relay shutoff driven from the radian aux connectors to disconnect freezer load on low SoC. My question is, does anyone have a good example of a DC distribution panel? I haven't been able to find any examples or application notes for reference.

Thanks
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: How to integrate Sundanzer 24v Freezer

Post by raysun »

All that "legacy" 12/24V DC gear harkens back to the early days of off-grid solar where every watt was hard to come by, and AC inverters didn't exist for the home consumer.

The system in your profile is 3 generations removed from those days.

Adding a DC panel is feasible, but far from practical. You will also need a 24VDC source from your 48VDC battery.

Far simpler is to buy a 24VDC power supply that's fed from conventional 120VAC.

Far more sensible is to sell the DC freezer and buy a standard 120VAC unit. Even the cheapest ones are very efficient these days.

Our off-grid system is 6kW inverter, 7kW PV array, and 22kWH LiFePo4 battery. We run two households off it with two full sized refrigerators, two chest freezers, dish washer, microwaves, convection ovens, and pretty much every appliance a typical American consumer would have. We don't even come close to taxing our power resources.

Keep it simple will serve you much better in the long run.