NorthStar NSB BLUE+ 190FT Imbalance or Bad Battery

Discussion about the OutBack Energy Cell Batteries
kARTechnology
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: 1) FlinInfini Lite 5kw(Voltronic InfiniSolar V 5k)
Longi Mono 375Wp ~6kw
Exide Lead Acid - SolaTubular 6LMS150 x8 (300Ah)

2) FlinInfini Lite 5kw(Voltronic InfiniSolar V 5k)
Longi Mono 380Wp ~6kw
Leoch Pure Lead Carbon PLH+C 190Ah

India

NorthStar NSB BLUE+ 190FT Imbalance or Bad Battery

Post by kARTechnology »

Hi, I have a 48v setup with a lookalike of NorthStar NSB BLUE+, from LEOCH, PLH+C 190FT with the same spec sheet from Leoch, totaling 190ah 48v
running since 8 months, it was performing well.
I use Bulk 56.4 and Float 54.4 in my inverter, a Voltronic InfiniSolar V 5K Hybrid
power outages are rare and its more like 1-2 hours, and 10 times a month, and load is around 500w to 2000w on battery power. when sun is bright i take it to like 4000w since the power is being pulled from the solar panels.

Recently i tested the battery performance off-grid+after sunset with a 2000w load and found it barely makes 20 mins. at the end the voltage drops rapidly and i checked the batteries individual and found one battery at the first + terminal side of the series was dropping to like 8.5-8v before the inverter shuts down(cut off at 42v) where as the remaining batteries are lying in the 12.7v range.

I am not sure if its a bad battery or charge imbalance, and how do i correct it? I was told a 5 year warranty for these batteries. Can that one battery be revived? force equalize at 14.4 for 4 hrs?

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: NorthStar NSB BLUE+ 190FT Imbalance or Bad Battery

Post by raysun »

I've no experience with this battery, but ran very similar EUROBAT designs with similar VRLA/AGM lead-carbon architecture for about 5 years.

One characteristic I noticed is they run great, until they fail catastrophically. You may wish to try a "rejuvenation" charge, but to have one monoblock in a series string behave as described, assuming the interconnect cables are properly torqued, and low, equal resistance, the most likely scenario is cell failure.

You may wish to consult with the distributor/manufacturer about the test requirements needed to submit a warranty claim. The testing can be somewhat arduous.

One suggestion from the picture. The monoblocks should be evenly supported along their bottom surface. There is no benefit to elevating them on less than full support, and it may lead to the weight of the battery distorting the plastic case, which could, in an extreme event, cause the tightly spaced plates to warp.

Good luck!
kARTechnology
Forum Junior Member
Longi Mono 375Wp ~6kw

Longi Mono 380Wp ~6kw

India

Post by kARTechnology »

Sorry for the
raysun wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:16 am I've no experience with this battery, but ran very similar EUROBAT designs with similar VRLA/AGM lead-carbon architecture for about 5 years.

One characteristic I noticed is they run great, until they fail catastrophically. You may wish to try a "rejuvenation" charge, but to have one monoblock in a series string behave as described, assuming the interconnect cables are properly torqued, and low, equal resistance, the most likely scenario is cell failure.

You may wish to consult with the distributor/manufacturer about the test requirements needed to submit a warranty claim. The testing can be somewhat arduous.

One suggestion from the picture. The monoblocks should be evenly supported along their bottom surface. There is no benefit to elevating them on less than full support, and it may lead to the weight of the battery distorting the plastic case, which could, in an extreme event, cause the tightly spaced plates to warp.

Good luck!
Sorry for the late reply.
I've contacted the manufacturer for replacement and it's under process. Seems like they will replace only 1 bad battery. Though I suspect 2. They checked the batteries internal resistance and voltage under load..
They have told to charge each battery individually with a 12v charger/inverter before again making the bank.
Yes, I will change the wooden surface to cover the full area.
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS. X240 with big Bertha way off in the shop. Off grid.

Post by JRHill »

Your original message was 6 June 2021 and the batteries were eight months old. Now you may get a new battery under warranty. You know the new battery won't necessarily perform better than the others in the string. Even at 8 months. Now you suspect another battery?

Respectfully, maybe you need you look at the charging parameters. Absorb limit and time, float and float time, low voltage shut down, etc. And to low voltage, how low do you go? How do you know? From Raysun "You may wish to try a "rejuvenation" charge, but to have one monoblock in a series string behave as described, assuming the interconnect cables are properly torqued, and low, equal resistance, the most likely scenario is cell failure."

I don't want to be overly simplistic but it is often viewed that the solar batteries are like car batteries. They go until they don't. Not. And yes. But the solar batteries need a whole different lovin'. Never, if you can help it, take them low. What has been your low point?
kARTechnology
Forum Junior Member
Longi Mono 375Wp ~6kw

Longi Mono 380Wp ~6kw

India

Post by kARTechnology »

JRHill wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:27 pm Your original message was 6 June 2021 and the batteries were eight months old. Now you may get a new battery under warranty. You know the new battery won't necessarily perform better than the others in the string. Even at 8 months. Now you suspect another battery?

Respectfully, maybe you need you look at the charging parameters. Absorb limit and time, float and float time, low voltage shut down, etc. And to low voltage, how low do you go? How do you know? From Raysun "You may wish to try a "rejuvenation" charge, but to have one monoblock in a series string behave as described, assuming the interconnect cables are properly torqued, and low, equal resistance, the most likely scenario is cell failure."

I don't want to be overly simplistic but it is often viewed that the solar batteries are like car batteries. They go until they don't. Not. And yes. But the solar batteries need a whole different lovin'. Never, if you can help it, take them low. What has been your low point?
Sorry for late reply. I'm not getting email notifications from this forum. Will check the settings.

I'm getting a new single battery in next few days and they have told to charge each of them individually with a single battery inverter and then make the bank.
Low voltage parameters are right, float 13.8, bulk 14.1 and timing for absorb is non configurable.