Settings for New NSB 190 AGMs replacing FLA"s

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Shell
Forum Member
My RE system: Off Grid System : FXR Series VFXR3524A Inverter/Charger, FLEXmax 80 Charge Controller, FLEXnet DC Battery Monitor, HUB Communications Manager, MATE3 System Display and Controller, FLEXware Surge Protector. 8 Northstar NSB190FT Blue+ in 4 strings of 2 to make 24v (each 24v pair hooked to Victron Energy Lynx Distributor (808ah) with Magnum Energy Class T 300 amp fuse between batteries and inverter in a vented battery box. Solar Array consists of 6 190w solar modules wired in two series strings of 3 modules each. Midnite Solar PV Combiner. Also 8 BP 75w panels with MidNite Solar Kid Charge Controller and MNBIGBABY Combiner

Settings for New NSB 190 AGMs replacing FLA"s

Post by Shell »

I am receiving new Outback NSB 190 batteries for my existing system. The person who was supposed to help me with hooking them up just told me that he would hook them up but won't do any of the programming. No one where i live can do it, so it is up to me. The current system I have is in the attachment. I know I will have to change the parameters to the battery specs, in the Mate3 and not sure how to hook up the Flexnet DC to the new AGM's. I also have a Firman WH03242 3200/4000W 30A Duel Fuel Inverter Generator for charging and backup that i always run on propane so it is usually 3200W input.
Will i have to change parameters in the FM80 and the Mate3 or just the Mate3?
Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20240709_0002_NEW.pdf
(186.57 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
raysun
Forum Overlord
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Re: Settings for New NSB 190 AGMs replacing FLA"s

Post by raysun »

The new battery consists of (Outback) Northstar NSB190FT Blue+ battery blocks? How many?
Shell
Forum Member
My RE system: Off Grid System : FXR Series VFXR3524A Inverter/Charger, FLEXmax 80 Charge Controller, FLEXnet DC Battery Monitor, HUB Communications Manager, MATE3 System Display and Controller, FLEXware Surge Protector. 8 Northstar NSB190FT Blue+ in 4 strings of 2 to make 24v (each 24v pair hooked to Victron Energy Lynx Distributor (808ah) with Magnum Energy Class T 300 amp fuse between batteries and inverter in a vented battery box. Solar Array consists of 6 190w solar modules wired in two series strings of 3 modules each. Midnite Solar PV Combiner. Also 8 BP 75w panels with MidNite Solar Kid Charge Controller and MNBIGBABY Combiner

Post by Shell »

Thank you for replying. I have 8 of them coming. I have also noticed the FLEXnet DC monitor is reading inaccurately on my existing batteries, so that makes me a bit concerned. I have read about having to re calibrate it, but people are still having issues with it.
raysun
Forum Overlord
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

Shell wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:01 pm Thank you for replying. I have 8 of them coming. I have also noticed the FLEXnet DC monitor is reading inaccurately on my existing batteries, so that makes me a bit concerned. I have read about having to re calibrate it, but people are still having issues with it.
To confirm, they are the BLUE+ and not the RED+ batteries?
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

The FLEXnet DC is only as accurate as the parameter values programmed into it. (One of the design engineers was fond of saying: "You lie to it, and it will lie to you".) It cannot "automagically" adjust its monitoring values, as does not have any ability to plumb the battery internals. To keep it accurate, periodic capacity testing and adjustments made in accordance with the results.
The existing battery is obviously not being replaced to change the color scheme. Likely it has reached the end of its service life. As a battery degrades to end of life, it becomes more erratic in behavior, and more difficult to track capacity. The parameter values put in when the battery was new (granted they were put in correctly in the first place) will not be reflective of the parameter values as the battery has aged.
By all means, set up the FNDC with the new battery values, and use it to monitor. The battery's health and longevity will depend on it.
Last edited by raysun on Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shell
Forum Member

Post by Shell »

Yes the batteries are at the end of their life. The FLEXnet DC says they are fully charged all the time.
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

Shell wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:16 pm Yes the batteries are at the end of their life. The FLEXnet DC says they are fully charged all the time.
Did I mention erratic behavior?
"Full charged" all the time is certainly not normal. However, in this case, it's likely not the battery alone as the source of weirdness. Another possible cause is the shunt (Shunt A usually) tracking the inverter / battery circuit is disabled.
SumPowerRays
Forum Expert
My RE system: Off Grid
(1) Flexpower Radian 8048A
MATE3s, HUB 10.3, FN-DC, RTS,
(2) FLEXmax 100 AFCI charge controllers
(12) Northstar Blue 190FT batteries 606 AH
(24) REC 365NP2 Panels.
(4) Arrays of 2190 watts each.

Post by SumPowerRays »

Shell wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:01 pm Thank you for replying. I have 8 of them coming. I have also noticed the FLEXnet DC monitor is reading inaccurately on my existing batteries, so that makes me a bit concerned. I have read about having to re calibrate it, but people are still having issues with it.
At 12 volts times 2 batteries for 24 volts; for your FXR inverter, 8 Northstar blue will give you 4 parallel strings for your batteries. Typical reccommended maximum is 3 parallel strings.

From page 16 of the Northstar Blue manual; If using a battery monitor device such as an OutBack FLEXnet DC, program the charge efficiency to 97%; return amps to 1% of capacity; and charge voltage to 0.4 Vdc below absorption.
Amp-Hours: Based on the 20-hour capacity Charge Time: 1 minute
Charge efficiency: 97%
Return Amps: 1% Adc
Charge voltage: 13.7 Vdc

NorthStar NSB BLUE+® Required Compensation
The factor is 2 mV per cell (0.024 Vdc or 24 mV per battery) per degree C above or below room temperature (77°F or 25°C) when the battery is regularly cycled.

Link to Battery manual
https://www.solar-electric.com/outback- ... ml#reviews
Shell
Forum Member

Post by Shell »

Thank you so much for all of your input, i really appreciate it! With 8 of the 12v batteries in 4 strings of 2 to make 24v. I would have each 24v pair hooked to bus bars to make for more even charging and discharging of each pair. Is that sufficient for the parallel connections? Is it an issue? I am trying to maximize ah. This configuration would give me (808ah) but of course only half of that.
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

I would have each 24v pair hooked to bus bars to make for more even charging and discharging of each pair.
Yes, this is helpful. Each 24V string must be wired to the bus bars with electrically identical cables. I opt for new cables with a new battery, and if in the U.S., use these guys to fabricate them: https://www.batterycablesusa.com/
1st class cables, cheaper than I can do them for myself, next day fabrication and shipping.
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

To commission the new battery, there will be changes to make on the Mate, FNDC, FXR, and FM. They are mostly all around "charging" menus - Global Charging on the Mate, Battery Charging on the FNDC, FXR, and FM.

Is the existing battery rack being reused?
Is the system on OpticsRE?
Is there an AC source (grid, generator) connected?
Shell
Forum Member

Post by Shell »

Thank you.
I do not have a rack they will be in a vented box.
I have OpticsRE, though i have never used it with my current batteries because my internet connection was non existent when I first set up. I now have internet access through my wireless carrier and phone has mobile hotspot so I can use my laptop. The Mate3 screen does display OPTICSRE but i think the DHCP function has not been enabled because the status reads connecting. So I will have to enable that.
My generator is not auto start, so I have to manually start it, and then it syncs to charge batteries. No grid power.
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

Shell wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:02 pm Thank you.
I do not have a rack they will be in a vented box.
I have OpticsRE, though i have never used it with my current batteries because my internet connection was non existent when I first set up. I now have internet access through my wireless carrier and phone has mobile hotspot so I can use my laptop. The Mate3 screen does display OPTICSRE but i think the DHCP function has not been enabled because the status reads connecting. So I will have to enable that.
My generator is not auto start, so I have to manually start it, and then it syncs to charge batteries. No grid power.
OK.

You'll find it helpful to get Optics up and running. From the main status screen, press PORT key. The ethernet info should pop up.
I prefer manually entering the IP info, if your router accepts non-DHCP enabled hosts.
Once Optics RE is enabled, it will be easier to walk through all the necessary configuration screens for battery charging

Commissioning the battery:
190Ah × 4 = 760Ah
Depending on initial battery state, it may take a good deal of time to reach full charge. I'd suggest using the generator/inverter for the initial charging so the charge current can be tracked. The generator/inverter feed steady current so is easier to track than the variable solar charging.
Shell
Forum Member

Post by Shell »

hello again. So i see that the DHCP is ENABLED and the all of the addresses are visible in the ETHERNET ADDRESSES screen in the Settings Menu
But only the Mac Address is displayed and all other addresses are at 000.000.000.000 and OPTICSRE says connecting when i press the PORT key. Not sure what i am missing here.
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

The Mate isn't picking up address data from your DHCP server.
Last edited by raysun on Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
provo
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Evergreen EC-120 (4 strings, total 1920W)
2 SimpliPhi 3.8-m-24V (150Ah each)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC
Honda EU3000is generator
Grid connection, no selling back

Post by provo »

Shell wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:02 am So i see that the DHCP is ENABLED and the all of the addresses are visible in the ETHERNET ADDRESSES screen in the Settings Menu.
But only the Mac Address is displayed and all other addresses are at 000.000.000.000 and OPTICSRE says connecting when I press the PORT key.
Have you read this document from Outback?

I see download problems -- try this
optics_conn_app_note (3).pdf
(438.52 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by provo on Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shell
Forum Member

Post by Shell »

The only way i have internet is through my phone which i use as a mobile hotspot to use my laptop. So if i am not home or near the Mate3 OPTICSRE won't work? Is this correct?
provo
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Evergreen EC-120 (4 strings, total 1920W)
2 SimpliPhi 3.8-m-24V (150Ah each)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC
Honda EU3000is generator
Grid connection, no selling back

Post by provo »

Shell wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:40 am The only way i have internet is through my phone which i use as a mobile hotspot to use my laptop. So if i am not home or near the Mate3 OPTICSRE won't work? Is this correct?
My Mate3s talks to my internet router, and my iPhone (running Chrome, Safari, and others I'm sure) also talks to that same router at a distance. I set it up once and fixed it a few times, but others here can tell you much more.
Shell
Forum Member

Post by Shell »

Well that answers that. I can not use the OPTICSRE because i have no wat to hook up a modem or router in my remote setting. Thank you for your help on this!
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

Though streaming data from the Mate is not your goal, this doc has a "LAN only" debugging procedure: https://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/ ... ta_Use.pdf

Since the broadband connection is going to be enabled only when you are there with mobile hotspot, Optics will be of little use (beyond the GUI for configuration while on site.)

I'd suggest digging into the hotspot's DHCP requirements. Is it WiFi only? If so, there is no WiFi on the Mate, only wired ethernet. A Wifi adapter can be employed. Is one available?
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

Shell wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:04 am Well that answers that. I can not use the OPTICSRE because i have no wat to hook up a modem or router in my remote setting. Thank you for your help on this!
If remote monitoring and control is important, you may wish to invest in a hotspot that can be installed at the site.

An alternative if sophisticated on-site monitoring and control is needed is to install Andrew Welch's WattPlot on a small PC. (I use one of those cheap Chinese NUC-style PCs). WattPlot has far more capability than Optics, runs locally (no WAN needed) and has a very sophisticated and easy to use command language that can automate just about every function you can think of.
Shell
Forum Member

Post by Shell »

Hello again. Do i set all the charge controller parameters through the Mate 3 or the FlexMax 80 or both? Do i have to reset to factory defaults first?
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

Shell wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:15 am Hello again. Do i set all the charge controller parameters through the Mate 3 or the FlexMax 80 or both? Do i have to reset to factory defaults first?
The FlexMax Battery Charging parameters can be set using either interface. The Mate3 is a bit easier to use, as the parameters are displayed in a more organized manner.
Shell
Forum Member

Post by Shell »

Oh thank you, that helps.
Shell
Forum Member

Post by Shell »

Hello again. So i have a question about the RTS . If it is set to WIDE does that mean it will override all user set parameters? Do i need to set it to LIMITED ? Also do i need to set the Profile Wizard batter type to AGM?