Total Use Time and Kw of Inverter

General Talk

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

kiwisolar
Forum Expert
My RE system: VFXR3048E
FM80-150VDC
Flexnet DC
Hoppecke Sun Power VR-M 6V 250AH batteries (16 total, 48V).
Gentech EP8000HSRE-RS Generator with Honda 390GX engine.

Total Use Time and Kw of Inverter

Post by kiwisolar »

Hey all, I'm trying to figure out if my system is "paying for itself" (hahahahahahahahhahahahaha oh lordy its cost me so much).

Anyway, i can't seem to find a summary of the total time and total kw out of the inverter in OpticsRE.
Any suggestions on where I might find such info?
kiwisolar
Forum Expert
FM80-150VDC
Flexnet DC

Re: Total Use Time and Kw of Inverter

Post by kiwisolar »

Ahh I just found "Battery Lifetime kAH Removed" in the FlexnetDC page, so that's probably what I need.

In my case if anyone is interested, it reads 145 kAh, so I calculate ~7000kwh at 48v over 4years.
At $0.20/kwh I've "saved" ~$1400 NZD not counting daily line charges so maybe add another $1000NZD.

I've also not spent approx $100,000NZD by not having to connect to the grid (loooong way to run cables), so if I count that I am happier in life haha.
Echo5
Forum Whiz
My RE system: FLEXmax 80, VFXR 3024, MATE3s, HUB10, FLEXnet DC, 2x150Ah Sterling LiFePO4 24V batteries, 8x220w panels in 4 strings of 2.

Post by Echo5 »

I think the Outback equipment is pretty poor at measuring energy produced. For one thing, I am pretty sure it rounds the reported Amps output to the nearest integer. In fact it may well be truncating rather than rounding - it is hard to tell. I am pretty sure Andrew Welch (the WattPlot author) has also said that he had to take steps to interpolate the Amp values output by the Outback equipment in order to calculate power values.

Soooo.... I just decided not to bother worrying about getting an accurate value from Outback and just purchased a surplus analog power meter. This is one of those spinning wheel count up devices commonly used to measure the consumption in domestic environments (the thing the meter reader reads). This device was quite inexpensive (on the order of $15 USD) - I got it off Amazon UK. There are many surplus ones available nowadays since most of Europe is converting to smart meters.

I just placed the meter on the output line in between the inverter and the primary circuit breaker (as it would be at the power entrance to a house) and I get very accurate readings. The power companies are not in it to loose money and so the meter is very sensitive - recording even very low power consumption loads. Because they were so cheap, I also put one on the Grid input feed in between the line in and the Inverter so in the event I have to pull from the grid I can record that.

Works great!
Kimono: Free and Open Source Outback Monitoring software
http://www.OfItselfSo.com/Kimono
bluespur
Forum Guru
My RE system: VFX3024x2
Flexmax60x2
3000W total solar, 135w panel array and 220w panel array
Mate3
12xHawker Perfect Plus 8PZS120 FLA batteries
Own built generator Kubota D600 engine, 7.5Kw gen head

Post by bluespur »

google DDM15SD , its a din rail mount Kwh meter
raysun
Forum Overlord
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

Outback doesn't really measure Power (W) as much as Volt Amps (VA). The latter are more useful when engineering stuff that has to be stable within a wide range of power factors.
External metering is the way.
Outback does it for the DC side with the FNDC, but not the AC side.
kiwisolar
Forum Expert
FM80-150VDC
Flexnet DC

Post by kiwisolar »

Well it looks like my installer was smart. There's already a KW meter on the powerboard leading out to the house (not the fancy digital one someone linked, but still a wee module on the power board).
Total 5648kwh. I don't think it knows the difference between solar and generator though. Not that the generators sent much to the house, but it has charged the batteries.
Good times, pointless musings :)
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 48v OB inverter and charge controller, hub and mate3s.

Post by JRHill »

One thing about being off grid is I don't get the subscription to Ruralite via the PUD. I really like the publication - it's a family friendly magazine of rural folk features and PUD tidbits. When it comes out I can usually find a copy on the USPS desk in the box area. Within the last year I got our localized issue and noted that the average, year around billing was north of $150, as I recall. So I had to do a little math.

Our original self designed and installed system was the immediate thing to consider. Power rates were less but lets move forward. That original equipment paid off hand over first in 10 years, as I recall. But in that time I had to change out the lead battery bank 2x. The original calculation included the 8ea L16s. I was ahead of the average but we live different from flick the switch, air conditioned people. Plus we had a battery change out at the 5 year mark. It's obvious that batteries are expendables and the core system isn't. So I separated them.

The core system has performed, for dollar payback, extremely well. It had paid for itself, even if I had a grid connection. [yes, we had to live different with no AC or flick the switch mentality] The expense has been the consumable part and that is storage. Three+ years back I was up against yet another battery change out (2nd) so I bit the bullet. Plus I had to change out the inverter - which had a problem for AGS but that was my fault but was needed for new programming and batteries. Whatever, sunk costs

In the three years since I went LP04 I do NOTHING. And this year things have even gotten crazier and that is we use so much power we give no thought to it. Think about that. Oh, gee, at sunset we are at 80% at sun down. Whatever. In a few days I might have to run the generator. I need a gen run anyway.
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 48v OB inverter and charge controller, hub and mate3s.

Post by JRHill »

BTW, there was a estimate to get grid power up the canyon HALF way here. That was $250k. And that was the cost share at 50%. The gov't declined the cost share.