Equalization

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Grid Tie Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

intellact
Forum Czar
My RE system: GVFX 3624 and MATE/MATE3/AXS Port with four Surette flooded lead-acid batteries (24V). Deactivated wind turbine. System now acts as UPS back-up. Monitored by WattPlot, of course.

Equalization

Post by intellact »

Wishing to equalize my batteries, I go to WattPlot ACKcess and request Equalization from the inverter tools. My GVFX3524 immediately starts putting my batteries up to 30V, as expected. So here's my question...

:?: Why does the inverter show an Operating Mode of Charging (3)?? :???:
Shouldn't the mode be Equalizing (6)?!?

Does anyone know the answer to this one?

P.S. For anyone who is into Modbus, the MATE3 has a System Control Block in which register 11 (OB_Control_Status) has a bitfield, one of which is supposed to indicate EQ Charging. Not surprisingly, it does not have that bit set.
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot
raysun
Forum Overlord
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Re: Equalization

Post by raysun »

Strange little glitch, and a hassle, I'm sure, if trying to monitor status.
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 48v OB inverter and charge controller, hub and mate3s.

Post by JRHill »

I'm curious: Operating Mode of Charging (3) showed up when starting an EQ but did it move to Equalizing (6) shortly +/- afterward?

Seems too silly a question to be asking you two but it's the first thing I thought of...
intellact
Forum Czar
My RE system: GVFX 3624 and MATE/MATE3/AXS Port with four Surette flooded lead-acid batteries (24V). Deactivated wind turbine. System now acts as UPS back-up. Monitored by WattPlot, of course.

Post by intellact »

That is an entirely reasonable question.

No, it didn't.

However, the MATE3 display did indicate that equalization had started and the countdown time was running. #-o

The same internal status bitfield also indicated that the inverter was in Search, even though that clearly was not the status of the inverter. I can forgive the MATE3 for not necessarily indicating precisely what the inverter was up to, but the MATE3 manages the equalization process - either the status is Equalizing or it isn't. :mad:

As someone trying to support software that controls OutBack systems, if my program is submitting a request for Equalization to begin, I need to be able to confirm that the command was received correctly and is being executed. Since the MATE3's own status does not reflect what is actually happening, I now have to go to some lengths to program the software to check the battery voltage over time and confirm that it is rising to the Equalize setpoint before I can confirm that the command had the intended effect.

That is very frustrating. :evil: (But not unexpected with these devices.)
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot
raysun
Forum Overlord
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

It would be exceptionally frustrating.

My sense of it is there's two dev paths for the Mate code: one that's Modbus/Sunspec compliant; and the other stuff.
It looks like Equalize status is in the "other stuff" library, and the developer couldn't or wouldn't take the extra steps to inform Modbus.

I wonder how Optics manages the charger status? Ever do a packet trace on EQ Start from the System Tools menu?
(One thing I've noticed is the status doesn't show up right away, and if the command fails, there's no feedback. I wonder if even the "inside developers" had to look for bread crumbs...)
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

I was going to say something.... But I won't. I just hope our OB buddies come back. And I hope the product line continues onward.
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

JRHill wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:34 pm I was going to say something.... But I won't. I just hope our OB buddies come back. And I hope the product line continues onward.
I'm learning Dutch.
SumPowerRays
Forum Expert
My RE system: Off Grid
(1) Flexpower Radian 8048A
MATE3s, HUB 10.3, FN-DC, RTS,
(2) FLEXmax 100 AFCI charge controllers
(12) Northstar Blue 190FT batteries 606 AH
(24) REC 365NP2 Panels.
(4) Arrays of 2190 watts each.

Post by SumPowerRays »

raysun wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:42 pm
JRHill wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:34 pm I was going to say something.... But I won't. I just hope our OB buddies come back. And I hope the product line continues onward.
I'm learning Dutch.
I had previously learned a little Dutch will working there, but the reality was all my co-workers spoke English which was a required langauge for employment at the time. I am turning a little blue at the moment too.
I have installed two smurf inverters, one Sol-Ark in the last month. Next week is a scheduled install of MidNite's new AIO.
Hoping the "out"-back product makes a come back also. And not just in AI communications or promises.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

I'm always in Dutch. Someday I'll visit the place to see how I fit in.
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

SumPowerRays wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:25 pm
raysun wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:42 pm
I'm learning Dutch.
I had previously learned a little Dutch will working there, but the reality was all my co-workers spoke English which was a required langauge for employment at the time. I am turning a little blue at the moment too.
I have installed two smurf inverters, one Sol-Ark in the last month. Next week is a scheduled install of MidNite's new AIO.
Hoping the "out"-back product makes a come back also. And not just in AI communications or promises.
I notice if I handle anything containing chineseium the skin on my hands turn green.

I don't know if I can master Dutch. Not sure I can make the phlegm-clearing sounds in polite company. Those folks may have a penchant for orange hair and strange beer, but they're all willing to speak English to us "simple folk".

I started digging into a little piece of endemic weirdness with my factory-wired Flexpower Two that I've worked around until now, and it's got me tearing out whatever hair I might have left.

If I can't get it resolved and in frustration hold my breath until I turn blue, do you think it would help?
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

JRHill wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:32 pm I'm always in Dutch. Someday I'll visit the place to see how I fit in.
😅
You might be in Dutch my friend, but you're a loooong way from the Netherlands.
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

And just like that, Andrew's serious post goes right off the rails.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

raysun wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:42 pm And just like that, Andrew's serious post goes right off the rails.
Andrew can handle it if he can figure out Outback stuff. But it's good to know even he (and you) still scratch your head.

Andrew, you need to put some Phi batteries into your system. They'll give you some extra time for what's really important.