Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

metama
Forum Member
My RE system: Outback 3524 Master
Outback 3524 Slave
Mate 3

Not Charging / Generator removed / Mystery connection

Post by metama »

Team, I have a issue with a few variable to track down.

We are getting a generator replaced.
Before the old generator was removed a week ago the system charged batteries on AC power.

Currently the system will received AC Power, start to charge for a few seconds and stop charging. (Battery voltage is low under cutoff).

On inspection; a loose DC High Gauge cable from one of the Inverters Battery Negative cable is disconnected. (Most likely related to the generator removal. But....)

System is setup with 2 parallel Master/Slave FX inverters. A negative cable connects between the inverters and onto the DC negative bus/bank.

If you take this loose cable and metering it you get 24V from the 24V DC bank positive and the loose cable.

Would this cable to connected to the AC neutral buss or AC Ground?
Would this relate to the lack of charging? Unrelated. Seems as if both inverters have connection positive and negative to the Battery bank.

Also look like the fan is out and sending an error message. Assuming that would not impact charging?

Any thought to help track this down?
Help appreciated.
raysun
Forum Overlord
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Re: Not Charging / Generator removed / Mystery connection

Post by raysun »

If wired properly, each inverter should have an individual battery (+) lead, with a circuit breaker disconnect from the positive battery bus.
Each inverter should have an individual battery (-) lead from the negative battery bus.
Unless the generator was a DC output unit, it would not have a direct connection to the battery, rather, it would have an AC connection to the inverters' AC INPUT terminals via individual AC circuit breakers.
Was the grid also wired to the inverters? If so, the grid and generator would need to be first connected to a manual or automatic transfer switch, the output leads of which would wire to the inverters' AC INPUT terminals, as above. Was this the case?
metama
Forum Member
Outback 3524 Slave
Mate 3

Post by metama »

The wiring you listed is what I expected.
So, if one assumes that cable is a Netative to the battery bank.

A. Does a fan error stop charging.
B. How do you troubleshoot a system that stops charging after a few seconds.

Yes the generator and the AC have a selector and breakers before the AC to inverters.

We have the 2 inverters. The primary has been fine (untill a recent fan error). The slave I am about to pull one to send for repairs (I think it is an AC Board), it has reported low AC and will not pass through. It will invert.

The current AC Voltage is read correctly on the master and in range. No errors other then the fan.

I am about to pull the system to install a charger controller, and would like to figure out any current issues before I sent the unit off and rebuild the system.
raysun
Forum Overlord
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

Your profile lists 3524 as the inverter model. What's the full designation?
VFX3524?
VFX3524M?
VFXR3524?
metama
Forum Member
Outback 3524 Slave
Mate 3

Post by metama »

gvfx3524 x 2
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

Vintage inverters!
IDK about the mystery cable.
A fan failure could potentially interrupt charging, as charging creates a good deal of heat.
metama
Forum Member
Outback 3524 Slave
Mate 3

Post by metama »

Follow up. It was simple the Shore power at that Marine. It worked most of the time, but that week the Inverters would not take the shore power for charging. Back in my slip and all is well.
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

metama wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:54 pm Follow up. It was simple the Shore power at that Marine. It worked most of the time, but that week the Inverters would not take the shore power for charging. Back in my slip and all is well.
All the Outback inverters qualify the AC Input before using it. None more so than the GVFX - Outback's first grid-interactive FX inverter. They did boucoup engineering on that. It was the inverter that spawned the need for inverter generators in order to get clean enough AC input from a portable.