Temp sensor when using multiple charge controllers

Discussion about the FM100 AFCI Charge Controller
Lara2023
Forum Member
My RE system: Hawker Batteries 4 (6-85-33) total 3380ah, 12k watt panels with 6 outback charge controllers, Mate 3s

Temp sensor when using multiple charge controllers

Post by Lara2023 »

All, I wanted to verify that with the Mate3s the charge controller connected to port 1 becomes the master meaning all other temp sensors can be removed? Thanks so much for replies!
raysun
Forum Overlord
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Re: Temp sensor when using multiple charge controllers

Post by raysun »

With equipment connected to an Outback Hub, the inverter in Port 1 can act as the master for temperature controlled charging with an RTS attached. I don't think a FlexMax charge controller can assume the mastering role.
The Mate does not participate in temperature compensation.
Lara2023
Forum Member
My RE system: Hawker Batteries 4 (6-85-33) total 3380ah, 12k watt panels with 6 outback charge controllers, Mate 3s

Post by Lara2023 »

Thanks, that's helpful. So every cc is on its own than, makes sense.
raysun
Forum Overlord
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

Lara2023 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:51 pm Thanks, that's helpful. So every cc is on its own than, makes sense.
Unfortunately, that is true.
The FlexMax80's "legacy" design, good as it is, has some glaring limitations. Most notably sharing battery voltage information between controllers. Each is autonomous, and battery voltage is their common language. Fastidious calibration, and high quality conductors between controllers and battery, will have them working in concert.
I believe the FM100 addresses the common voltage/multiple controller issue. It is designed with remote voltage sense, so battery voltage, and IIRC, temperature compensation voltage, can be shared among like controllers.
The Outback solution would be to replace the FM80s with a couple FM100s.
The Electron
Forum Guru
My RE system: I troubleshoot & maintain off-grid systems in many different scenarios, a few are total redneck messes I stumble across, some are pretty nice. Experience with multiple stacked FX's and Radians & Optics

Post by The Electron »

Just took a peek at an FM100 via optics, no mention of battery temp in any category, will investigate when on site in a few weeks. (the master Radian shares batt temp like good children should) They share a hub
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

The Electron wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:26 am Just took a peek at an FM100 via optics, no mention of battery temp in any category, will investigate when on site in a few weeks. (the master Radian shares batt temp like good children should) They share a hub
From the FlexMax 100 manual:

Remote Temperature Sensor Port
An optional battery Remote Temperature Sensor (RTS) is recommended for accurate battery charging.
When the system includes an OutBack MATE3s system display, a HUB Communications Manager,
and multiple devices, only one RTS is needed. The RTS should be connected to the port on the
FLEXmax 100. The system display gives this port the highest priority and will communicate
compensation values to all other devices.
Specialized temperature compensation is available. See page 43 for more information.
The Electron
Forum Guru
My RE system: I troubleshoot & maintain off-grid systems in many different scenarios, a few are total redneck messes I stumble across, some are pretty nice. Experience with multiple stacked FX's and Radians & Optics

Post by The Electron »

When all else fails, read the destructions! Will be moving the sensor from the master radian to port 1, notwithstanding-- any known issues out there folks with not having the stacked radian master on port 1?
raysun
Forum Overlord
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

The Electron wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:57 am When all else fails, read the destructions! Will be moving the sensor from the master radian to port 1, notwithstanding-- any known issues out there folks with not having the stacked radian master on port 1?
It seems the Radian in port 1 can provide the same networked temp comp data. I don't know that changing it out would make a difference.
The FM100 in port 1 would be useful if non-outback inverters were being used.
The Electron
Forum Guru

Post by The Electron »

After i posted that, i remembered reading that during the months-long wait for the FM100's. Yet it would be nice to see that value displayed in the FM's info in Optics......Will ck WattPlot in the meantime, will poke around onsite if need be and report back!