Inverter shuts down under high load (VFX2812M)

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in RV Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Lee1234
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: VFX2812M

Inverter shuts down under high load (VFX2812M)

Post by Lee1234 »

My inverter shuts down when on high load (Microwave 1500W). All lights are off on inverter after shutdown. No error messages or lights. It typically comes back on randomly after several minutes or hours.

Voltage at inverter terminals when under load 12.5v (13.5v when not under load).

It is about 10 years old.

Any ideas on cause (Just old age?) and other debugging procedures. Would you recommend replacing boards or the entire inverter?
raysun
Forum Overlord
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Re: Inverter shuts down under high load (VFX2812M)

Post by raysun »

The symptoms sounded like Low Battery Cut Off, but the voltage measurement doesn't appear to support that. Is the reading taken as the load is running and the inverter is shutting down, or after its dark?
It's possible a 10 year-old inverter is reaching retirement age. It's also possible some replaceable components are failing.
If you are in North America, you might contact Zonna Energy.
https://www.zonnaenergy.com/solar/repla ... s/fx2012t/
They stock replacement boards, and better yet in this case, offer free advice, as well as repair services. They're good about testing and replacing what's needed, v.s. just buying the boards and hoping that fixes the problem.
Lee1234
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: VFX2812M

Re: Inverter shuts down under high load (VFX2812M)

Post by Lee1234 »

12.5v is the reading at the inverter terminals under high load prior to shutdown (the length of time before shutdown is random and sometimes it doesn't happen).

Thanks for the feedback!