Parts Support for GS8048 after fan failures

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability
etcm
Forum Whiz
My RE system: radian & power center
20x305 watt Helios panels
FM80 x 2
200RE x4

Parts Support for GS8048 after fan failures

Post by etcm »

My left side inverter fan started making noise so I opened it up expecting to find a blade touching a fan shroud or something similar. The fan hub was rattling inside the fan body - i pulled on the lead and the tension pulled the center hub allowing for it to turn smoothly (New fans right and left are ordered.) While checking the left fan, I observed the right was not running. I swapped the right fan lead to the left fan
power jack _did not run, swapped the left fan lead to the right jack - it did not run either. Restored and left side fan ran as it was prior to swapping. Conclusion: right side fan is failed AND right side fan power does not have output. MATE3 had no fan failure, no high temp warnings (NOTE: Right XFMR was 107C, FET's and CAP's were both 60-70C) and this is still almost winter in Indiana (it snowed today)
Issue: Outback tech assist identified that it was probably the power supply card .. but I would have to send it in with an initial fee of $90 plus parts/labor for repairs. I was thinking the Spare 215 for $132 (multiple sites) was a good deal and I'd go for that instead. I almost ordered it until I saw the warning, "This part does NOT work with the original GS8048 or GS4048" and I have a GS8048. The card and all of the visible components look identical.
Does anyone know why the "spare 215" does not work in the GS8048?
The "spare 200" (online cost ~$2000 ) is identified as the replacement power supply card for the GS8048, but that is really as assembly with two cards, one that looks like that spare 215 and a larger card that is about 3 times the size.
For now, I just connected a 120mmx120mm computer fan to the right side using the 12VDC AUX power; the fan runs continuously and is a 0.15A fan versus a 0.7 A outback fan .. but all of the temps are lower and should hold until the new fans arrive in a couple of days.
Sure wish I had a schematic of the card to troubleshoot myself...
fcwlp
Forum Emperor
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed.

I install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems in my area and consult on solar system design/operation.

Re: Parts Support for GS8048 after fan failures

Post by fcwlp »

I have seen reports of issues with that PCB assembly on the original Radians.

Your right fan is only going to come on when the temps of the components are high enough to require the fan. It could be during your test, that the power being inverted did not require the right module or not enough power to heat up the right module components. So, good new is, based on your tests you definitely have a bad right fan but not necessarily a bad board.
inMichigan
Forum Virtuoso
My RE system: 42 SP-335's (14.1kw) -> 4 FLEXmax 80's / 100 AH CALB in 17 cells/ FLEXnet DC / MATE3 -> 2 Radian GS8048A and watched over by Vantage Pro 2+ PWS

Post by inMichigan »

Looking thru my Radian installation and operators manual, I'm not finding the answer to this question:

Besides complete powering down and verification that this Radian is not hot, is removing that fastener while changing fans going to drop a nut on the INSIDE of that inverter assembly? I'd hate to think I have to disassembly that as well to change the fan. I haven't ordered and received the replacement fan, perhaps it comes with instructions. I just want to plan ahead if this is a short job, or a long job.
fan.jpg
I had high temperature alarms. Even after removing and blowing out with compressed air the front covers, and some blowing up and down thru the hardware. It happened again. Upon further investigation, I found one fan of my Slave GS8048A to be frozen.

PS I'm really glad to find a stuck fan vs something more ominous.
Located in SE Michigan
etcm
Forum Whiz
FM80 x 2
200RE x4

Post by etcm »

I recommend to order a fan as soon as possible. Maybe a 2 pack. The fan install is very easy to do. Outback has a .pdf file that shows how. It is easy and if you notice, it has only 4 screws that insert from the top..no need to worry about dropping a nut into the unit.
inMichigan
Forum Virtuoso
My RE system: 42 SP-335's (14.1kw) -> 4 FLEXmax 80's / 100 AH CALB in 17 cells/ FLEXnet DC / MATE3 -> 2 Radian GS8048A and watched over by Vantage Pro 2+ PWS

Post by inMichigan »

etcm wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:57 am I recommend to order a fan as soon as possible. Maybe a 2 pack. The fan install is very easy to do. Outback has a .pdf file that shows how. It is easy and if you notice, it has only 4 screws that insert from the top..no need to worry about dropping a nut into the unit.
Perfect! Yes, I ordered an additional spare for the Radian, as well as one for the FM80's for 'just in case'.
Located in SE Michigan
smcewan
Forum Whiz
My RE system: 3 x 150ah lithium batteries, flexmax 80, flexmax 60x2, 8 x 320w panels, 21 x 270w panels, mate3, 4048a radian inverter

Post by smcewan »

Where can I order a fan? Mine is making a noise and compressed air didn't fix. Looks like a piece of cake to replace, but I cant find where to get the official part.
raysun
Forum Overlord
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

smcewan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:02 pm Where can I order a fan? Mine is making a noise and compressed air didn't fix. Looks like a piece of cake to replace, but I cant find where to get the official part.
You might try Zonna Energy.
https://g.co/kgs/NhuNn6P
etcm
Forum Whiz
FM80 x 2
200RE x4

Post by etcm »

Thanks for the reference.