6 Samsung 130 watt panels
Outback vfx 3524 inverter and mate system controller
Outback Flexmax 60 mppt charge controller
8 Trojan L16reb batteries
Honda eb5000 gas generator
Off grid since 2004

Small dc panel for outbuilding.

Post by fgeremia »

I need to install a small panel for a few light circuits - 24V dc - for a small building next to my home.
It’s my understanding that square D QO series of load centers and breakers can be used. Is this correct? My Outback load center is in my home, and I’d prefer to have a separate load center with breakers right in the outbuilding.
Thanks, Dan
fcwlp
Forum Emperor
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed.

I install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems in my area and consult on solar system design/operation.

Re: Small dc panel for outbuilding.

Post by fcwlp »

I thought QO were DC rated to 35-40V but current spec sheets do not list. I knew you could not use on a 48V system.
I normally use a Midnite Solar box like this, https://www.solar-electric.com/misobigbabox.html for DC breakers. You have been off-grid for long enough to likely have accumulated some breakers that will fit the box. If not, the Midnite breakers are cheaper than QOs.