Mate 3S down

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power
jmktexas
Forum Expert
My RE system: gvfx 3648, fm80, 12 trojan J185-re, hub 10-4, mate3, fndc monitor, 12 CSX-310P canadian solar panels
+
20 450 panels, Fpr 8048a (8kw radian, 2 fm80 cc, fndc, 20kw lifepo4 batteries

Mate 3S down

Post by jmktexas »

About a week ago mate quit switching from grid zero to grid tie as programmed in flextime. Tried deleting all settings in flextime and reprogrammed.
Today lights started flashing randomly while trying to reprogram again then it became totally unresponsive. Tried a reboot but mate refused to recognize sd card.

System appears to be operating normally without mate but I have no idea if I'm in grid zero or grid tie. I figure when sun goes down I'll be able to determine that. Batteries are charging and loads are being carried so I guess radian and fm's are running correctly.
Emailed Outback but I expect that to take a couple of days to hear from anyone so I thought I'd reach out here. Any ideas?
jmktexas
Forum Expert
My RE system: gvfx 3648, fm80, 12 trojan J185-re, hub 10-4, mate3, fndc monitor, 12 CSX-310P canadian solar panels
+

Re: Mate 3S down

Post by jmktexas »

Okay Outback responded today and once again I have made problem more than it was. Just like a computer, when you have a glitch turn everything off and turn it back on. Just unplugging mate wasn’t enough. I had to shut entire system down and start over and everything seems to be fine. Only question Outback and myself have is why it even happened. Regardless I was very impressed with their response time.
EA6LE-ONE
Forum Czar
My RE system: System 1:
MATE3s, 3 x Radian GS8048A,
6 x FLEXmax 100, HUB10,
2 x EnergyCell 48V 2700RE,
1 x FLEXnet DC, 6 x FLEXware ICS Plus,
78 x PANASONIC VBHN325SA17 325W

System 2:
MATE3s, Radian GS8048A,
2 x FLEXmax 100, HUB10
1 x EnergyCell 48V 2700RE,
1 x FLEXnet DC, 2 x FLEXware ICS
21 x PANASONIC VBHN325SA17 325W

Post by EA6LE-ONE »

jmktexas wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:35 pm Okay Outback responded today and once again I have made problem more than it was. Just like a computer, when you have a glitch turn everything off and turn it back on. Just unplugging mate wasn’t enough. I had to shut entire system down and start over and everything seems to be fine. Only question Outback and myself have is why it even happened. Regardless I was very impressed with their response time.
might be just the cables. try to buy some good quality network cat6 patch cables and replace the ones that came from outback.
if you can find shielded cables, try to get those.
pss
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Post by pss »

I am not sure that the suggestion made by EAGLE-ONE should be performed. Maybe yes, maybe no. And here is why: The cables supplied by Outback in my system were colored dark green and came in varying lengths I believe. I have never had a problem with them in 6 year.s

But that aside, I am not aware that the Outback cables are standard ethernet cables or even standard ethernet POE cables. Standard is used to mean wired T568A or T568B.

Anyone can take an 8 strand cable and use one pair for transmit and receive and another pair for power and connect them to whatever set of pins on the connector that they want to use for their devices.

The Mate 3 and 3S receive power over the ethernet cable from a specific port on the Outback Hub. Then an intranet is set up and transmitted.

If you think your Outback cables are bad, I would first get replacements from Outback unless Outback tells you they are standard ethernet cables Cat5e or better. If they are not standard, then using a standard cable may not work or even result in a shorted connection.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

In this circumstance, both @EA6LE-ONE and @pss are correct, though drawing orthogonal conclusions.
The Outback communication cable is wired with a standard 8 position RJ45 connector, but it IS NOT Ethernet standard. Rather, the signaling supports MODBUS and uses the RS-485 transmission control protocol. This is a serial protocol using 2 wires (half duplex) or 4 wires (full duplex). I'm not sure which OB has implemented, however, OB tech support says the cable signals are compatible with ethernet Cat5/Cat6 "straight through" cables.
I won't go down the rabbit hole of shielded v.s. unshielded, but will say I've replaced several of the OB "green" cables with Cat5/6 in the past and had them work. I've also replaced old "green" cables with new "green" cables on occasion and had that work as well.
jmktexas
Forum Expert
+

Post by jmktexas »

I don't know about cable replacement. This Radian FlexPower is only 6 months old. I have been guilty of having "happy fingers" in the past and I'm not sure that I didn't create a problem trying to get flextime to function correctly again. Outback suggested upgrading firmware. I'm not sure if that will help but I'll upgrade. Using 1-4-3 now and upgrade is 1-4-7.

I'm desperately trying to be more deliberate in any changes I make. Really a personal challenge for me. :grin: If it happens again I'll try changing cables.
santafedave
Forum Guru
My RE system: GS8048-A-300AFCI 8 KW 48V Mate3s with 2 FM100 charge controllers pre wired.
21 Canadian Solar 320 Watt PERC MC4 CS3K-320MS panels.
3 Canadian Solar 325W Module Mono Perc 1000VDC panels.
Fortress eVault Max 18.5 kWh battery
8 FullRiver AGM DC400-6 Sealed Batteries 415AH 6V L16 size Replaced.
Fireraptor quick disconnect.

Post by santafedave »

To keep track of changes I make to my system I use the note tab on the OpticsRE website. Works great and I also found out when I corresponded with Outback they can look at your notes and see the pics that you post on the OpticsRE which helps a lot when trying to troubleshoot a problem.
The Electron
Forum Guru
My RE system: I troubleshoot & maintain off-grid systems in many different scenarios, a few are total redneck messes I stumble across, some are pretty nice. Experience with multiple stacked FX's and Radians & Optics

Post by The Electron »

Whatever protocol Is used thru these cables, the way stacking communications function isn't bad, as i have seen CRAZY with long runs of these cables ran along 12/240/48V etc etc (jam packed full) and there were no known.......... coms errors. But you can never go wrong with shielded cables, as long as typically the shield is grounded on one end only! (the device 'electrically?' closest to the ground rods)
jonathanpr
Forum Member
My RE system: Radian 4048A inverter, FM80 Flexmax Charge Controller, MATE3S Controller, 8x Outback 200PLC Carbon Batteries, 15 Trina 280W panels

Post by jonathanpr »

My MATE3S seems to have a similar problem. The display is completely blank. There is no green light where I connect the network cable, we have tried resetting by pulling the cable that powers the unit from the Outback port (I have not been home for all of this, so my family is helping, and they are not familiar with the system). When I get home in a couple of days, I will try to replace the cable that powers the unit. Fingers crossed! These are completely not available to purchase. The soonest I can get a replacement seems to be in August! Not only that, but the price is about 50% higher than when I bought it 5 years ago.
Jonathan Friedman
Arecibo, PR
"Physics doesn't care what you believe." - Scott Denning and many others