Forum Member
My RE system: Outback Radian GS8048
Flexmax 80 x2
Mate3s
Storz Lithium 10247 x2

Mate 3s Questions

Post by qballrail »

Questions regarding my Mate 3s

1) Historically, I have been able to monitor my system remotely using my Netgear router. Since my Internet is unreliable, I do not use OpticsRE or Outback's proprietary hub. After investing thousands of dollars in this system, I can't justify more investment to remotely monitor from another website. My solution has performed flawlessly until recently. The Mate now refuses to connect, let alone transmit data. I have run down multiple possible causes: Router is not the issues as I am able to remote in and administer. Also communicates with other nodes on my network. Replaced cables, using cat5e, cat6, and 7, all known good-working cables, to no avail. Com port light on Mate illuminates yet is not communicating. Not seeing traffic (no blinking green light). Using static IP, etc same as internal network. No settings have been changed since my original configuration. Once again, this was working flawlessly until recently. What am I missing?

2) Power level graph no longer reports because graph table appears to have scrolled to lower voltage values. This occurred after coms died. Currently graph shows lower teens voltage while it historically showed values between 45v and 65v. How do I scroll back up to the actual voltage readings?

3) Does a hard reset of the Mate restore factory settings?

4) Why does the firmware version show v.1.4.7 when the readme.txt is 1.3? Also, is 1.4.7 most current for this module? I seem to recall videos using v3 and higher.

System:
Radian GS8048A
Flexmax 80 x2
Mate 3s
LPF SP5.12-LFPv4 x4 Batteries

Thanks in advance.
JD
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
2 Midnite Solar MNPV6 combiners w/20A DC disconnects.
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator
Off-Grid

Re: Mate 3s Questions

Post by raysun »

qballrail wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:50 am Questions regarding my Mate 3s

1) Historically, I have been able to monitor my system remotely using my Netgear router.
Since my Internet is unreliable, I do not use OpticsRE or Outback's proprietary hub.
Its not clear how system monitoring is being done. Are you accessing the Mate3s internal web app?

Without the OB Hub, is the Mate plugged directly into the Radian?
2) Power level graph no longer reports because graph table appears to have scrolled to lower voltage values. This occurred after coms died. Currently graph shows lower teens voltage while it historically showed values between 45v and 65v. How do I scroll back up to the actual voltage readings?
IDK what's being described here. Maybe post a picture?
3) Does a hard reset of the Mate restore factory settings?
There's a Reset to Factory Defaults function in the Settings menu on the Mate.
4) Why does the firmware version show v.1.4.7 when the readme.txt is 1.3? Also, is 1.4.7 most current for this module? I seem to recall videos using v3 and higher.
For the Mate3s, v.1.4.7 is the latest firmware.
Videos referencing V.3 are likely referring to the discontinued Mate3. Do not attempt to install Mate3 firmware on the Mate3s.

Mate3s manuals and user guides can be downloaded here: https://www.outbackpower.com/resources- ... umentation
qballrail
Forum Member
Flexmax 80 x2
Mate3s
Storz Lithium 10247 x2

Post by qballrail »

1. Yes. Mate is connected directly to inverter. Using internal web page.

2. The graph I refer to is the battery voltage meter which displays levels for the past 24 hours. Posting a picture with the device I have is proving more difficult than it should because of the size limitations imposed by this site.

3. My goal is not to reset to factory defaults, rather asking if power cycling (unplug/replug) the module would do this.

I've consulted the user guide however it doesn't adequately address my issues.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01 - Series Stacked, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

My goal is not to reset to factory defaults, rather asking if power cycling (unplug/replug) the module would do this.
This will restart the Mate and load the configuration saved in it's NVRAM. During boot up, the Mate interrogates connected devices (only the inverter in this case) and reads in their configurations.
qballrail
Forum Member
Flexmax 80 x2
Mate3s
Storz Lithium 10247 x2

Post by qballrail »

raysun wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:32 pm
My goal is not to reset to factory defaults, rather asking if power cycling (unplug/replug) the module would do this.
This will restart the Mate and load the configuration saved in it's NVRAM. During boot up, the Mate interrogates connected devices (only the inverter in this case) and reads in their configurations.
You are saying my settings will not reset with power cycle, correct?

Can you address my other questions? The first two questions are my main concerns.

Thanks.
raysun
Forum Emperor
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

qballrail wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:53 pm
raysun wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:32 pm
You are saying my settings will not reset with power cycle, correct?

Can you address my other questions? The first two questions are my main concerns.

Thanks.
Settings will not reset with power cycle.

If #1 refers to not being able to access the Mate web app, power cycling the Mate should restore communication.

#2 IDK to what the question refers.
qballrail
Forum Member
Flexmax 80 x2
Mate3s
Storz Lithium 10247 x2

Post by qballrail »

There is only one graph available in the Mate3s that I have found, which is Battery Status. (perhaps power level was confusing). From the home page, which displays the status bars, generator status, etc., pressing the 2nd soft menu button gives the battery status in numeric values of minimum, maximum, and current. Press the Graph soft menu button gives a graphical representation of battery status for the past 24 or 36 hours. Previously, it displayed the correct voltage on the y-axis pertaining to my system (48v), with values between 40 and 60 volts. Now the y-axis displays 10 - 20 v and obviously does not display the correct graph line. This needs to be restored to the original voltages which reflect the actual voltage of my system. Do you or anyone here know how to do this?

Also, just to be clear on the power cycling (unplug/replug to radian) will NOT wipe my settings and bring down the system, is this correct?

Thank you again.
raysun
Forum Emperor
Off-Grid

Post by raysun »

With Optics available, I'll confess nearly total ignorance of the Mate's "graphic" data display capabilities, so perhaps someone else will step in to answer the question.

Every piece of Outback equipment is designed to operate autonomously. Each store their configuration and operational data internally, in non-volatile RAM (NVRAM). For example, once the inverter is configured, the Mate can be disconnected, and the inverter will execute its basic functions. Should the inverter be shut down and restarted, it will resume operation with its programmed parameters. The Mate stores its configuration in NVRAM as well. Power-cycling the Mate will reset its hardware to startup state, the NVRAM will be read for operating parameters. Then the Mate will interrogate its "Outback network" and enumerate the equipment it finds. Each device (only the inverter in your case) will have its parameters read so the Mate has a full "operational view". Equipment parameters are not modified during Mate startup. The parameters for connected equipment is only modified by accessing the configuration menus via the LOCK function on the Mate.
It is safe to "cold start" the Mate by unplugging it from the "Outback network", waiting a moment, then plugging it back in. Doing so will likely reset the Ethernet processor to it's functioning state and restore access to the Mate's web app via the LAN.