How to Remove MX60 Upper Front Cover?

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Richard Fairbanks
Forum Member
My RE system: Three solar panel/charge controller systems:
• The original (2007) system, consisting of four, 200W Sanyo HIP200BA3 solar panels wired in parallel, going to a (dearly cherished!) MX60, and
• Two new systems (as of 2020.4), each consisting of four 325W Panasonic VBHN325SA17 solar panels wired in parallel, going to a FM80.
The three OutBack controllers are then wired in parallel, feeding a 48V, 750AH battery bank consisting of three strings of eight Fullriver AGM DC250-6 batteries.
Location: Camped out in the remote mountain wilderness of Utah

How to Remove MX60 Upper Front Cover?

Post by Richard Fairbanks »

Greetings, folks!

I have a replacement set of buttons that need to go into my MX60, but the top cover is resisting coming off to get inside.

The four screws have been removed. What else do I have to do to get the top cover off? One of the buttons is now jammed inside and I canÔÇÖt get it to release back out. I would like to do this ASAP!

Thanks!!
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Re: How to Remove MX60 Upper Front Cover?

Post by Kurt Lundquist »

This is for the FM60 but it should be pretty much the same procedure. http://legacy.outbackpower.com/pdf/manu ... cement.pdf

Removing the push nuts on the back of the display is difficult to do without breaking the studs. If you have a Mate and the controller is working I suggest you do not bother with the button replacement. If you do the replacement it is a good idea to use a new Sil-Pad instead of reusing the old one.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/
jazzer
Forum Expert
My RE system: PS2 with GVFX3648, MX60, Mate (v4.2.1), FN-DC, 327AH AGM 48V battery banks [234AH EV185A-A, 93AH UPS12-350MR], 3470W mixed modules composed of 6 strings in 56-60V nominal (83Vmp) configuration

Post by jazzer »

I'm in the same boat. My keypad was failing years ago and I called Outback and somebody mailed me a keypad and some push nuts. That envelope is still sitting next to it. The buttons do not work at all anymore. I am resizing my array now and will be maximizing the GVFX3648 and MX60 together. I remember that the MX60 can be set to an output current limit of 70A. While I expect mine would rarely reach this I need to increase it beyond 60A. I may have already done it years ago but I can't get in to see it. The Mate does not show any setting in the menu ADV\CC\CHGR\output current limit -- it is blank.

So I either need to get access to this or I will have to open up the MX60 and try to replace that keypad. If there is a video that shows how to best avoid breaking the studs that would be very helpful. But if I can get the MATE to allow the setting (or at least display it) maybe I can avoid going into the MX60 altogether.

Thanks.
ralphday224
Forum Virtuoso

Post by ralphday224 »

I replaced the button board on my MX60 many years ago, before replacing it with a Midnitesolar Classic. It was major surgery. You need to have it on a bench, not on the wall still. At that point in time Outback would send you the part, instructions and maybe a video. At any rate, it was not as easy a component swap as on one of their inverters (helped someone replace a board on an inverter, piece of cake).

Ralph
jsmith
Forum Member
My RE system: 12 Shell SQ 165 and 175 (2kW)
MX60
2 FX3048T
X240 Autotransformer
Mate (original)
FNDC
Hub-4
Hawker PowerSafe AGM Battery, 1800 Ah
Northern Lights 8 kW Diesel Generator

Post by jsmith »

Does this help?
MX60 Fan Replacement Instructions_REV_A.pdf
(713.69 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
ralphday224
Forum Virtuoso

Post by ralphday224 »

That pdf instruction set looked like what I remember. A complete teardown almost.

When my fan started to fail I didn't want to go through the process again, so I put a 4inch muffin blowing on the controller all the time.