MX60 failure after Hurricane Irma

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

downscote
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: 7 kw GFVX (2) inverters with FX 60 charge controller. 8@ 12V lead-acid batteries linked in series and parallel for 24V. 12@ 125 watt Kyocera array, nominal @72V array.

MX60 failure after Hurricane Irma

Post by downscote »

When Hurricane Irma hit, my MX60 charge controller was compromised in some fashion. System IN was going to about 120V, and I was getting a "PV Cold" message when the system woke up (my technicians had never experienced this message before).
So MPPT and other functions maybe were compromised. I was getting some solar power (as my panels were not damaged). Outback Support said this should only occur with the MX60 with very low temperature and only above 135V, but I am in the tropics!
I recently replaced the MX60 with a FX60 and the system now appears to be behaving normally with the PWM and MPPT fully operative. So this is a bit of a conundrum. I thought I would post to see if anyone else had a similar experience.
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Re: MX60 failure after Hurricane Irma

Post by Kurt Lundquist »

How is your array wired? Your profile says 72V nominal so I would guess you have 2 strings of 6 in series. 72V nominal is pretty hot (Voc is over 130V). Your climate is temperate so I can see it working out for the most part. Normally I shoot for 60V nominal.

What is the peak voltage that you are seeing on the FM60? You can check this by looking at the stats screen on the controller. Just press the second button from the left under the screen. You should see the word "Today" in the top left. Right below Today will be the peak voltage "Vp".

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/
downscote
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: 7 kw GFVX (2) inverters with FX 60 charge controller. 8@ 12V lead-acid batteries linked in series and parallel for 24V. 12@ 125 watt Kyocera array, nominal @72V array.

Re: MX60 failure after Hurricane Irma

Post by downscote »

72 V nominal array wired as you indicate (24V battery bank). The max IN presently registers at 117.8V. The FX60 is functioning normally and is at present in MTTP Bulk with average IN voltage of 72-86V. The problem after Irma was that the MX 60 would start off at about these latter voltages and then abruptly rise to IN of about 117-120V, but not drop The MPPT message would then immediately show "PV Cold" and the cycle would repeat. The IN voltage was considerably below 135V and I am in the tropics (below the Tropic of Cancer) so "cold temperatures" cannot be an explanation. To me this suggests that Hurricane Irma (thru' a surge before the grid-tie was interupted for 3 months or a lightning strike) somehow damaged the MX 60 controller, but as I am not an electronics expert, this is purely speculation. I just wondered if anybody else had experienced a similar problem.