MX60 not charging - help

Discussion about the MX60 Charge Controller

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

uuccio
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: MX60 charge controller + 1 PV panel + 5 x 100 Ah 12V batteries on a boat

MX60 not charging - help

Post by uuccio »

My system is on a sailboat and has worked fine for 9 years until the last few weeks. The MX60 appears to have stopped charging. It is now showing 0 amps charge but PV voltage (somewhere between 26 and 45) and battery voltage (today it was 13.0 after been charged at the dock, but the other day after a day and night out in an anchorage, it was 12.0). It periodically goes to Sleep, then does the MPPT scan and goes back to sleep. Any ideas as to how to troubleshoot this?

So far I have tried disconnecting the MX60 from the battery banks and restarting the controller pressing the #1 and #3 soft-touch buttons. I have also tried connecting it to the engine battery rather than to the house banks, but nothing changes.
Mike Curran
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Outback - Garage roof:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one FM80 (2007/2020 - replaced MX60)
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80 (2017)
- 2 grid-tied VFXR3524A-01's series stacked, replaced GVFX's (2020)
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah (2007)
- Hub10.3, Mate3s, FNDC, RTS. Tigo ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar - Barn roof: (2012)
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied

Outback Skybox - Barn roof: (2019)
- 14 Talesun 275W in series (DC array input to SB inverter/charger)
- 3 SimpliPhi 3.8 batteries, 48V, 225Ah total
- AC coupled input from 14 Talesun 275W, Enphase M215 microinverters

All self-designed and self-installed

Re: MX60 not charging - help

Post by Mike Curran »

If those 5 batteries are wired in parallel and are 9 years old I suspect you have one or more failed batteries. I'd start troubleshooting by taking voltmeter readings on each battery. When you find any that are low you could disconnect them and use the remaining batteries until you can replace them all. Batteries in parallel tend (over time) not to be charged equally, leading to premature failure - although it's surprising how long yours have lasted in this configuration.
https://smart.tigoenergy.com/p/pZXn7SZQyO45?date=2021-04-19
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Hctc107221
uuccio
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: MX60 charge controller + 1 PV panel + 5 x 100 Ah 12V batteries on a boat

Post by uuccio »

Thanks Mike, the current house bank batteries are a few years old (the first set lasted 7 years). I also tried connecting it to the engine battery which is new but the result was the same. IÔÇÖm aware that batteries in parallel are not ideal but the boat system being 12v I cannot really think of a practical (read cheap) alternative. However if you know if one iÔÇÖd love to hear it... IÔÇÖm always looking to learn and tinker to make things work better :)

In any case the current problem doesnÔÇÖt seem to be the batteries.
Last edited by uuccio on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Post by Kurt Lundquist »

I suggest you check all connections between the PV array and the charge controller input. A loose or corroded connection is often the culprit.

For a different test, you can disconnect the PV from the charge controller. If the PV voltage on the screen goes to 0V then there is an internal problem with the MX60. PV voltage should rest somewhere below the battery voltage. On my 12V system at work, the charge controller reads 10.4V in and 13.8V out with the PV disconnected.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/
uuccio
Forum Junior Member

Post by uuccio »

Kurt Lundquist wrote:I suggest you check all connections between the PV array and the charge controller input. A loose or corroded connection is often the culprit.
Thank you, that would make sense, as voltage is reaching the controller but if the connection is corroded, it may have too much resistance and allow little current through. I haven't have time to check today but will do so next and report the results.
Kurt Lundquist wrote: For a different test, you can disconnect the PV from the charge controller. If the PV voltage on the screen goes to 0V then there is an internal problem with the MX60. PV voltage should rest somewhere below the battery voltage. On my 12V system at work, the charge controller reads 10.4V in and 13.8V out with the PV disconnected.
-Kurt
In my case the voltage slowly goes down to around 12V (battery was 12.7V) so it seems ok.
uuccio
Forum Junior Member

Post by uuccio »

The connections seem ok. I have another charge controller. I will swap out the MX60 and see if the system works.

Edit: Turns out I missed one connection and it was completely corroded. Problem solved! Thank you Kurt!
jbakker
Forum Guru
My RE system: 2 VFX3648 Inverters 1 FM60 150VDC Charge Controllers Mate3 3.4 KW of panels 15kw JC Onan NG Generator made in 1975.
1 Midnite Classic 150, FNDC. I have the Volt battery but it's not being used.
Now using 48 volt 425 AH Narada Lithium cells and 1 250 Amp 48 VOLT DALY BMS.

Post by jbakker »

A good thing to make part of your maintenance schedule is once a year power the system off completely and check all connections.
I do this on my system and i do this to the machines at work as well.
You would be surprised how lose connections can come over time.

Just my 2 cents eh