Forum Junior Member
My RE system: 3 ea. Outback FM 80 Charge Controllers
4ea. Outback VFXR Inverters
Hub
Mate

Mate display locks up intermittently

Post by dmolletti »

Greetings,

New to the forum but have an outback system that's been performing flawlessly for 12 years. Upgraded to sealed batteries 18 months ago. Loving it.
Problem:
Lower right quadrant the Mate went to solid squares. Ordered and installed the new Mate and it worked flawlessly for about 2 weeks and then I saw the display was frozen. As in still showing all the screens which you can cycle through but the auto rotation on summary stops and the data is old data from whenever it froze. The soft keys all function and allow me to step through all the summary screens but they are all old data. Sometimes by holding down the second soft key and having it roll through the various summary screens repeatedly it will "wake up and the INV light comes on and it is reading again. other times it will not. I disconnect from CAt 5 and let it sit for some time and sometimes it will work again for a couple of weeks with normal summary screens rotating and dynamic output and inverter readings. Then it locks again.
I thought it might be a firmware weirdness as this one shipped with 4.2.2 but I put the old one back in and now it does the same thing after a week or 2 of running fine. I've been rotating them out and it's the same behavior for both units now.
Both of them when plugged in boot up and find all the ports no problem but then don't report data. I've rebooted everything and this has been the case for a few months now.
Any ideas on what to try next? Who in the heck has a serial interface anymore?
Mucha appreciation for the sharing of knowledge here!

DMo
bluespur
Forum Virtuoso
My RE system: VFX3024x2
Flexmax60x2
3000W total solar, 135w panel array and 220w panel array
Mate3
12xHawker Perfect Plus 8PZS120 FLA batteries
Own built generator Kubota D600 engine, 7.5Kw gen head

Re: Mate display locks up intermittently

Post by bluespur »

Id try changing the cat5 cable, especially if its a green one, lots of reports on here of that fixing anomalies
Cheers
Garth
EA6LE-ONE
Forum Czar
My RE system: System 1:
MATE3s, 3 x Radian GS8048A,
6 x FLEXmax 100, HUB10,
2 x EnergyCell 48V 2700RE,
1 x FLEXnet DC, 6 x FLEXware ICS Plus,
78 x PANASONIC VBHN325SA17 325W

System 2:
MATE3s, Radian GS8048A,
2 x FLEXmax 100, HUB10
1 x EnergyCell 48V 2700RE,
1 x FLEXnet DC, 2 x FLEXware ICS
21 x PANASONIC VBHN325SA17 325W

Post by EA6LE-ONE »

also try to change the SD card.
pss
Forum Czar
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Post by pss »

I would install a Mate 3S (your profiles says mate, so I am going to assume it is a Mate 3). Then I would firmware upgrade to 1.4.7 The symptoms you describe are firmware related. And best practices for this behavior are to remove the SD card, insert into Windows 10 PC, look at directories and files. Often will be corrupted. Format the SD card, copy back your saved older logfiles, extract latest firmware to the SD card and then power cycle the Mate 3S, insert SD card and update firmware as soon as you are able. Optionally, disconnect ethernet cable from your local network connection during firmware update as some people have reported issues in the past when ethernet cable still connect. I however have not.
dmolletti
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: 3 ea. Outback FM 80 Charge Controllers
4ea. Outback VFXR Inverters
Hub
Mate

Post by dmolletti »

Appreciate the replies! Good suggestions but...
It is not a Mate 3 it is the original Mate installed about a decade ago. Also, the replacement I got is the original Mate. So no SD card and yeah, I have pinched new ends on the cat 5 connection to hub that runs about 100 ft. but it worked flawlessly for years.
TIA
EA6LE-ONE
Forum Czar
My RE system: System 1:
MATE3s, 3 x Radian GS8048A,
6 x FLEXmax 100, HUB10,
2 x EnergyCell 48V 2700RE,
1 x FLEXnet DC, 6 x FLEXware ICS Plus,
78 x PANASONIC VBHN325SA17 325W

System 2:
MATE3s, Radian GS8048A,
2 x FLEXmax 100, HUB10
1 x EnergyCell 48V 2700RE,
1 x FLEXnet DC, 2 x FLEXware ICS
21 x PANASONIC VBHN325SA17 325W

Post by EA6LE-ONE »

so, best fix is to buy a Mate3s. Is like discovering a new dimension upgrading from the mate.