Use AGS to fill the gaps in reaching full charge?

Discussion about the OutBack Mate Remote

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

jtzako
Forum Whiz
My RE system: OBPS Auto transformer PSX-240
2x Inverter VFX 3648
2x OBPS PS2DC Industrial Control Panel 3004905
OBPS MX - 60 MPPT Charge Controller
Kohler Generator 14RESA
1x OBPS Mate
15x Sharp ND-208U2 Solar Panels
16x Deka Pro Master 8L16T875 batteries

Use AGS to fill the gaps in reaching full charge?

Post by jtzako »

My Offgrid system seems to be unable to reach full charge on the batteries reliably during winter months and it has caused them to have major issues that I am working on recovering from. However, it also doesnt always get low enough voltage to kick in the AGS. Is there a way to make AGS run up to Absorb if the system doesnt reach that value for x days (like 2 days or something?)

I currently only have the original Mate and no battery monitor (flexnet DC or whatever is an upgrade for the future). I also dont see a way to tell when the AGS last ran, is there a log of that on this original Mate?
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFX 3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3, FNDC, 3ea 3.8 PHIs. And still, a wonderful wife.

Re: Use AGS to fill the gaps in reaching full charge?

Post by JRHill »

It's been many years since I used the Mate1 so I can't recall if it has any event log. I don't think so, esp for AGS.

With my most recent FLA batteries which have been retired, there was a period where they had aged enough that through the night that the AGS would kick in by around 5 or 6am and begin a charge cycle. The seasonal timing of this coincided with enough daily sunlight that the batteries entered the solar day mostly charged then went through Absorb and to Float, wasting a lot of solar potential at the expense of generator run time. I think this is what you are asking about**. What I did was to lower the Absorb voltage on the inverter and shorten its time. Then the FM could finish the charge cycle through the day with the least amount of generator run time.

It was an experiment which saved some gasoline but only helped until the winter season rolled in and I lost solar inputs - about four to six weeks. But it worked for the time. Again, I haven't used the Mate1 for a long time so your experience may be different.

** Edit, thinking about this and coming back to it: No, there is no way to schedule something like that every few days. It's going to be voltage based Period with a Mate1. It happens or it doesn't based upon voltage. Even with a Mate3x this can't be done. You can program a run schedule (maybe?) but it will happen whether you want it or not.

Coming out of the winter season I have been pondering adjusting things for a gen run before daybreak so the solar can finish the charge off. It's just not that that easy. And the SimpliPhi batteries behave so much differently that the FLA units.
Last edited by JRHill on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtzako
Forum Whiz
My RE system: OBPS Auto transformer PSX-240
2x Inverter VFX 3648
2x OBPS PS2DC Industrial Control Panel 3004905
OBPS MX - 60 MPPT Charge Controller
Kohler Generator 14RESA
1x OBPS Mate
15x Sharp ND-208U2 Solar Panels
16x Deka Pro Master 8L16T875 batteries

Post by jtzako »

JRHill wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:26 am It's been many years since I used the Mate1 so I can't recall if it has any event log. I don't think so, esp for AGS.

With my most recent FLA batteries which have been retired, there was a period where they had aged enough that through the night that the AGS would kick in by around 5 or 6am and begin a charge cycle. The seasonal timing of this coincided with enough daily sunlight that the batteries entered the solar day mostly charged then went through Absorb and to Float, wasting a lot of solar potential at the expense of generator run time. I think this is what you are asking about. What I did was to lower the Absorb voltage on the inverter and shorten its time. Then the FM could finish the charge cycle through the day with the least amount of generator run time.

It was an experiment which saved some gasoline but only helped until the winter season rolled in and I lost solar inputs - about four to six weeks. But it worked for the time. Again, I haven't used the Mate1 for a long time so your experience may be different.
Yeah, it does seem like Mate 1 doesnt have logs. My solar on a really sunny day this time of year seems to be able to get the charge into the 51 to 55 volts range at best. (my ~ 3000 watt solar array gets up to about 2500 watts these days with no clouds and that only lasts an hour or two) I do plan to increase the solar this year but that will probably not be until closer to summer.

I believe the poor state of my batteries (which are 1.5yrs old) is due to the previous owner not getting them up to Absorb often enough. I have been reconditioning them and they have improved to the point that the generator doesnt run on its own via AGS anymore (unless we get a day with lots of clouds) since the voltage takes long enough to drop that the solar picks it up again the next day. I just want to avoid this issue with the batteries happening again. I'm not sure with just this Mate1 I can do that or not.
sodamo
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Post by sodamo »

I”ll second Jim’s view above. As I recall the only Mate 1 logging may be related to Error codes, if any.
I’m also a long time proponent of using the generator for less than full charge to get me to the point PV can take over. As discussed with my installer nothing detrimental with multiple short runs to get there. Easy to do via AGS, besides adjusting the Absorb settings you can tweak the trigger settings, start gen at slightly higher voltage/SOC and terminate earlier to let sun take over. I’ve also been known to cheat and do a manual run. For example maybe today was a PV deficit day and I know my system won’t make it thru the night without generator, so maybe I’ll run long enough to get me to morning. Worst case if tomorrow doesn’t start out sunny, another run.
This is even easier with my SimpliPhi upgrade but worked well with previous batteries.
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFX 3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3, FNDC, 3ea 3.8 PHIs. And still, a wonderful wife.

Post by JRHill »

sodamo wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:29 pmI’ve also been known to cheat and do a manual run.
Yup. More manual intervention but it works well if monitored and adjusted as needed.