User system info

Website & Forum Discussions
Check here for our Welcome Message

Moderators: administrator, OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS. X240 with big Bertha way off in the shop. Off grid.

User system info

Post by JRHill »

Some folks ask a question or pose an issue but have not supplied any system details. It can be really hard to answer because the devices, system voltage, battery bank, etc are all critical to a useful non-confusing answer.

Here is another part of the puzzle: Grid connected or Off Grid. This seems to be coming up more often.

I just updated my profile to include Off Grid.

I also believe some people are overly sensitive about personal information on line and just won't provide it. Sigh. Anyway, please consider adding ALL the pertinent info in your profile. Of course, not any PII. As for location it can really help to have a region so as to differentiate someone in Africa from northern Canada.

Best,
JRH
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Re: User system info

Post by David LeBow »

In total agreement, thanks for the post.

We currently have two OutBack Forum-specific profile fields: "My RE System" and "My Optics Site Name".

"My RE System" helps others (forum users, OutBack staff) help you, since they can get some information about your set up without you having to repeat it on every post or them having to ask every time.

If you're using OpticsRE, "My Optics Site Name" helps OutBack staffers by letting them take a peek at how your system is configured and operating without having to reach out to get the site name.

The underlying forum engine (phpBB) has a few off-the-shelf profile fields as well, one of them is "Location", which could be used as JR has suggested.

So... here's a question to the forum: are there other custom profile fields which would be useful to have? We can easily add them.

We can add text, yes/no, selection list types of options, so if you have something which could/should be "multiple choice", list what the options might be. For example:

Caption: Grid Connection
Option 1: Grid-Tied
Option 2: Off-Grid

Let the suggestions begin!
David LeBow
Sr. Director, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

When answering many questions the first need is a basic, but concise, equipment manifest and configuration. I'm not sure how to create a template for that, but maybe a new-member welcome dialog that outlines the cogent profile details and rationale for them would help.

A lot of speculative responses and back-and-forth could be avoided if the pertinent information is at hand.

What I look for:

FlexPower installation: Model (One, Two, Three), Inverter(s) and Charge Controller(s) types
Or
Inverter model(s)
Charge Controller models(s)
System Controller model
Battery Monitor model
PV Array
• Panel model(s) and/or STC data
• Array wiring scheme
Battery
• Monobloc model
• Voltage
• C20 AH capacity
Backup Generator model
BoS components
• DC Panel and disconnects
• AC Panel and disconnects
• PV Combiner(s) and disconnects
• Cabling specs
Other equipment attached to system or battery.
AC Output configuration
• 120V single phase
• 240V split phase
• 208V three phase
• 220V single phase
• etc.
System type
• Grid connected
• Off grid
Management and monitoring systems
• OpticsRE
• WattPlot
• etc
I don't know anyone, including me, with such a comprehensive and concise profile, but if that information was available from the get-go, issue resolution would be more efficient.
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS. X240 with big Bertha way off in the shop. Off grid.

Post by JRHill »

All that could scare some folks away. But those who actually want to ask a question, if there was a drop down saying "Please complete your system profile," that would help. This would only occur to forum users who have no profile. It would also help sort out the spam stuff. It also helps with folks who have mixed systems. This is an OB forum. There are other forums for people who want to experiment with a controller from one mfr or/and inverter from another or vv. Hey, great. We'd help, if possible. And if we had more info maybe we could help.

Just kicking an idea. I'm not sure the forum can deal with the suggestion.
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Post by David LeBow »

I'm not sure the forum can deal with the suggestion.
Yeah... unfortunately, no. We could make those fields mandatory when registering, but that will cost us some headache as well, I'm afraid.
David LeBow
Sr. Director, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

David LeBow wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:47 pm
I'm not sure the forum can deal with the suggestion.
Yeah... unfortunately, no. We could make those fields mandatory when registering, but that will cost us some headache as well, I'm afraid.
We all get pretty good at 20 questions. Maybe a simplified manifest and helpful FAQ that nobody will read. 😀
EmmaS
Forum Junior Member

Post by EmmaS »

The software design process should be flexible and easy to maintain https://mlsdev.com/services/web-development. It should address changes in demand and adapt to these changes. For example, a program should be simple to use and maintain. Ideally, it should have all of the components and modules arranged in a hierarchy. A good software design will minimize the intellectual distance between the user and the program. If a software is not flexible, then it may not be useful to the user. Therefore, a software should be able to adapt to change.
Last edited by EmmaS on Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Curran
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Outback - Garage roof:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one FM80 (2007/2020 - replaced MX60)
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80 (2017)
- 2 grid-tied VFXR3524A-01's series stacked, replaced GVFX's (2020)
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah (2007)
- Hub10.3, Mate3s, FNDC, RTS. Tigo ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar - Barn roof: (2012)
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied

Outback Skybox - Barn roof: (2019)
- 14 Talesun 275W in series (DC array input to SB inverter/charger)
- 3 SimpliPhi 3.8 batteries, 48V, 225Ah total
- AC coupled input from 14 Talesun 275W, Enphase M215 microinverters

Battery systems operate in grid-tied, battery backup mode
All self-designed and self-installed

Post by Mike Curran »

David LeBow wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:43 amSo... here's a question to the forum: are there other custom profile fields which would be useful to have? We can easily add them.

We can add text, yes/no, selection list types of options, so if you have something which could/should be "multiple choice", list what the options might be.
What I have trouble with is when I'm writing a response to a post, I usually forget some system detail that the OP did (Bravo!) include in his profile. I would like to be able to see the OP profile while drafting my response. Not a big deal, and I've kinda gotten used to trying to remember the needed details, but still... - Mike
https://smart.tigoenergy.com/p/pZXn7SZQyO45?date=2021-11-10
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Hctc107221
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Two SimpliPhi 3.8-m-24V
(300Ah total)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC
Grid connection (no selling)
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

Mike Curran wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:25 am
I would like to be able to see the OP profile while drafting my response. Not a big deal, and I've kinda gotten used to trying to remember the needed details, but still...
Great idea! Sometimes I open a second tab for my response, but I usually forget. Having the profile visible would be easier.