Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

New 18650 capacity record (maybe)

Post by raysun »

"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip" and nowhere is this truer than battery development.

But in a hopefully hopeful development:
https://electrek.co/2021/06/10/egeb-nan ... -ion-cell/

U.S.A. designed and planned for on-shore manufacture.
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS.

Re: New 18650 capacity record (maybe)

Post by JRHill »

Thanks for this. It brings up something I've meant to look into for a while. In my simplistic mind I have the idea that whether a car, a powerwall, our PHIs or a major utility RE backup, they are made up of bunches of these 'lil cells bundled together in various configurations with their proprietary battery maintenance systems. It seems hard to believe and I am sure its not just that simple as far as packaging. One of these days I'll look look into it further for a good explanation and understanding.

I've not looked into the inners and packaging of LI stuff other than my cordless drills and drivers and the resulting torque and battery longevity of the tools. But those tool battery packs can generate some real heat on charging and discharging. But not the PHIs for all they contain. And their safety to be in the house.

In the days when some were distrustful of internal combustion vs steam there had to be some of the same suspicions and confusion. I feel more and more like one of those ancients.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

This guy keeps coming up in You Tube. I hate 99.9% of the videos up there and rarely watch any, but at least this guy speaks rationally about Lithium (and lately especially LiFePo4) battery builds.

This is a pretty good intro build video: https://youtu.be/zStEtH9Le-w

I'm pretty sure Phi uses 18650 or possibly 36650 cells in a 16P, nnP arrangement. Where the rubber meets the road with all vendors, from Anon Chi Guy to Tesla, is the BMS. There's lots of stock ones, but its a place where proprietary (and quality) engineering can make a competitive difference.

Yesterday, I helped a friend install a 48V @ 100AH "Chi-Comm" lithium battery. The difference in fit and finish between it and a Phi 3.8-48 is like the difference between a Pinto and a Shelby Mustang. It will get him down the road, and if the engine throws a piston, there's about $800 in parts there, max.

He laughed when I pointed that out, and said we should get into the build business. I'd do it, just for fun, except its damn near impossible to get the parts shipped into Hawaii. In the old days it would be easy. We'd find a pilot in a sea-side bar with a DC3 and fly Kona... herbal suppliments to the mainland, then use the proceeds and the plane to fly battery parts to the islands. That last part is where the real money is.
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS.

Post by JRHill »

I'll check that out. TY.