Discover Lithium Battery Self-Discharge Curve

Discussion about pairing third-party batteries with OutBack equipment
AllPawDrive
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Still shopping

Discover Lithium Battery Self-Discharge Curve

Post by AllPawDrive »

Has anyone received a self discharge curve over time from Discover for their AES LiFePO4 batteries?

What I have found from Discover is the following:

“Systems should be put into storage at 80% SOC and checked monthly to ensure SOC does not fall below 20%. At 20% SOC the battery will self discharge in approximately 2 months.”

I’m looking at a remote seasonal application where checking in on the batteries monthly would require a satellite data plan.

The off grid application would be using minimal power when unoccupied so there’s no problem with the battery SOC if everything is working fine. Power will be used to control temperature and humidity in the equipment panel and some safety/security lighting. It’s the case where something goes wrong. My plan is to configure the system to shut off power, if the state of charge gets too low due to some system failure.

I’d be potentially away for 6 months. So, if something failed the day after I left, at what state of charge should I shut everything down to prevent the batteries from completely self-discharging.

Thanks.
AllPawDrive
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Still shopping

Re: Discover Lithium Battery Self-Discharge Curve

Post by AllPawDrive »

Found my own answer:

Self Discharge (25°C / 77°F) < 3% per month (Battery Off)