Can inverter be powered with 3-phase

Discussion about adding energy storage to grid-dependent inverters using OutBack Power technology
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS.

Re: Can inverter be powered with 3-phase

Post by JRHill »

This whole subject might be better with those who want to argue grounding practices. To me, maybe the OB stuff can use those legs of three phase to service the system. I don't know. I'd never do it. But with power coming in from outside and the inverter passing it through won't your single phase 240v devices love the incoming power? Not.

I'm not a sparctrician But I learned that ya don't use three phase unless you are hooking it to three phase, unless you are just pulling from one leg.
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

There may be a difference in the transformer output voltages when you're being supplied with "3-phase power".

What they're doing around here probably uses different transformers, with the understanding that everyone only gets 240VAC single phase, even though the main lines out along the highway are 3-phase.
sbrownian
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048 FM80 FNDC Mate3
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Had 1200 Ahr FLA Locomotive batts
Just replaced with
2 x 300 Ah ReLion Lithium packs
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

provo wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:13 pm
Don58 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:45 pm
There seem to me to be contradictions. Outback told me straight out that the way we had it, two legs of a three-phase source, will not work. Yet it is intended to run on household 240Vac, which if as described above is two legs of a three-phase source.
In my rural part of Calif, the neighbors and I have 2 of the 3 phases coming to the utility transformer on the pole. Say we have A and B. A few miles one way they have A and C, a few miles the other way they have B and C. The voltage on the 3 phases is whatever provides 240VAC across any 2 phases given the 120° shift and the step-down factor of the transformer. (I used to know the formula -- you can look it up.)

The 120° shift is transparent to the user. You end up with 240VAC 60Hz, and that's all that matters. The neutral comes from the transformer on the pole.
No, the 120 shift is NOT transparent to circuitry that phase locks to the 'hot' lines with a reference to neutral.

I will induce offsets in the circuitry if it is expecting 180 degrees phase shift, and that could effect the switching circuitry not turning off and on at the correct time.

One of the side effects of that is the production of heat.

According to the actual testing that Don did, he stated his inverter/charger got MUCH hotter when on the 120 vs the 180 stuff.

Pole top 7.2kv to 240 transformers 'recreate' the 180 angle between the hot leg(s) and the neutral, if you will.

(Actually, most pole tops go phase to neutral, anyway, as a 7.2kv transformer is cheaper than one wound with a primary for 12.47kv)

Three phase LOW voltage (480 / 240 /N) brings up the 120 issue.
Information, you get not; if incorrect question, you ask..
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

sbrownian wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:31 pm
No, the 120 shift is NOT transparent to circuitry that phase locks to the 'hot' lines with a reference to neutral.

I will induce offsets in the circuitry if it is expecting 180 degrees phase shift, and that could effect the switching circuitry not turning off and on at the correct time.
I stand corrected, thanks! I didn't consider the situation where someone was using two phases and the neutral that came with the 3-phase power. As you say, my pole-top xformer creates its own neutral.