Two Flexmax100 charge controllers installed but Mate3s keeps turning one to "Silent" mode before Absorb voltage reached

Discussion about the FM100 AFCI Charge Controller
mattyxp@yahoo.com
Forum Member
My RE system: Mate3s
VFX3648 x2 units master/slave setup w/ PSX-240 Transformer
Flexmax100 afci x 2 units
Flexnet DC
HUB10 port hub
32 REC360aa alpha solar panels with total wattage of 11,520w
20kw Perkins diesel backup generator

Two Flexmax100 charge controllers installed but Mate3s keeps turning one to "Silent" mode before Absorb voltage reached

Post by mattyxp@yahoo.com »

Hi,
My system is:
100% Off-Grid
Outback Mate3s
Flexnet DC
Dual Outback VFX3648 inverters with master/slave setup
Two Flexmax100 afci charge controllers with aux battery voltage sensor twisted pair wires install from battery bus bar to both FM100 charge controllers and the Flexnet DC
All plugged into a HUB10
32 REC360aa alpha solar panels with each charge controller handling 16 panels in 4 strings
All units calibrated to battery voltage at battery bank bus bar using professional Fluke meter

My problem is:
The second Flexmax100 afci charge controller keeps kicking into "Silent" mode after it is turned on within about 30 seconds...even though the battery voltage level is only at 52.9v-53.9v when absorb voltage is set to 56v. So one charge controller is charging full power in "Bulk" mode correctly and the second charge controller is in "Silent" mode doing no charging.
I switched the ports of both Flexmax100 afci charge controllers on the HUB10 and whichever charge controller is in the first position works correctly. Whichever charge controller is in the second (higher HUB10 port) position goes right into "Silent" mode and does not charge.
This tells me that both the Flexmax100 afci charge controllers are themselves fine and do work correctly. It's something external that is telling the second position (higher HUB10 port) charge controller to immediately go into "Silent" mode.

I have discovered that the "external" thing causing this issue is the Mate3s unit...I just can't figure out why. If I turn off the Mate3s unit from the system by unplugging it from the HUB10 (Mate Port 1) and the Mate3s unit is powered off, then the second charge controller correctly stays in "Bulk" charge mode per its internal programming settings. However, as soon as I plug the Mate3s back into the HUB10 and it powers back on, it turns the second charge controller to "Silent" mode within about 20-30 seconds.
I can also "fake out" the system/Mate3s by just unplugging the second FM100 charge controller from the HUB10 and then the Mate3s has no control of the second FM100 charge controller and all works correctly...but then I loose the ability to keep an eye on what exactly this second FM100 charge controller is doing, how much power it's producing, what charge mode it's in, etc., via OpticsRE which is not a viable long term solution...just a temporary bush fix.

I have tried telling the system to re-start bulk mode, etc all to no avail.

Please help...I just upgraded to the new solar panels and new Flexmax100 afci charge controllers from Flexmax80 charge controllers and I never had this problem before.
WHY is the Mate3s telling the second Flexmax100 afci charge controller to go into "Silent" mode way before the battery Absorb voltage charge setting of 56v has been reached?
WHAT can I do to fix this or is this a Mate3s bug within its internal programming?

Thank you anyone who can shed any light on this problem and/or provide any help/solution(s).
Matt :)
Last edited by mattyxp@yahoo.com on Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Curran
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Outback - Garage roof:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one FM80 (2007/2020 - replaced MX60)
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80 (2017)
- 2 grid-tied VFXR3524A-01's series stacked, replaced GVFX's (2020)
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah (2007)
- Hub10.3, Mate3s, FNDC, RTS. Tigo ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar - Barn roof: (2012)
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied

Outback Skybox - Barn roof: (2019)
- 14 Talesun 275W in series (DC array input to SB inverter/charger)
- 3 SimpliPhi 3.8 batteries, 48V, 225Ah total
- AC coupled input from 14 Talesun 275W, Enphase M215 microinverters

All self-designed and self-installed

Re: Two Flexmax100 charge controllers installed but Mate3s keeps turning one to "Silent" mode before Absorb voltage reac

Post by Mike Curran »

Shot in the dark but did you increase the max charge current limit when you upsized your CCs? I don't really think that's the issue, cuz if your 2 chargers were up against whatever limit that you have set, your Mate should only taper back on the charge current, not put one of them to sleep. Easy to check, though.

Can't think of anything else that would cause a change from when you had 2 FM80s, if no other settings got changed.

One further idea is to check to make sure float coordination is enabled. Again, not sure this would cause what you're seeing but worth a shot.

These two settings are detailed in this screenshot:
Screenshot_20210118-200738_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Edit: Another thought is that maybe as absorb current begins to taper off the second CC isn't needed to complete the absorb cycle.
https://smart.tigoenergy.com/p/pZXn7SZQyO45?date=2021-04-19
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Hctc107221
mattyxp@yahoo.com
Forum Member
Flexnet DC
HUB10 port hub

Re: Two Flexmax100 charge controllers installed but Mate3s keeps turning one to "Silent" mode before Absorb voltage reac

Hi Mike,
Thank you for taking a shot at this and helping with your reply and comments...I've also had Loanis Tuss from Outback Solar tech support helping with this problem and so far we are all stumped.

I have five Simpliphi Lithium 3.8kwh 48v batteries on my system. Per the Integration guide, the correct total dc current limit setting is 187.5ADC. So I have each Flexmax100 afci charge controller Current Limit set to 93ADC each for a total of 186ADC. During my daily bulk charging, the ADC is nowhere near 93ADC on either charge controller with max showing about 67ADC on each charge controller today.

Float Coordination is enabled. I have tried both ways and same problem either way.

This problem is occurring early in the day's Bulk charging cycle when battery voltage is around 52.9v-54.4v, well below and way before the Absorb charging cycle start threshold of 56v is reached. So the Absorb cycle is never reached with this problem and therefore shouldn't be a factor.

I got the system to keep both Charge Controllers in bulk mode yesterday after a bunch of fiddling with everything and turning the Mate3s off and back on...but then today, same problem happens again and has continued to happen each time I restart the system today. In my opinion, it's the Mate3s causing this problem given what I have described previously and above. Is it just a bad Mate3s or is it something wrong in the Mate3s logic or something else all together...I am scratching my head on this one.

In the meantime, I am faking out the system just be unplugging the second charge controller from the HUB10 and then it stays in Bulk mode correctly until the Absorb voltage of 56v is reached.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Again,
sbrownian
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048 FM80 FNDC Mate3
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Had 1200 Ahr FLA Locomotive batts
Just replaced with
2 x 300 Ah ReLion Lithium packs
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

Dang, sounds like we need a Wireshark for Outback data to see what the system is 'saying' to do..
Information, you get not; if incorrect question, you ask..
fcwlp
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed.

I install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems in my area and consult on solar system design/operation.

Post by fcwlp »

Are the CCs battery voltages calibrated? Did you install the voltage sense wires to your FM100?
Mike Curran
Forum Emperor

Post by Mike Curran »

fcwlp wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:44 am Are the CCs battery voltages calibrated? Did you install the voltage sense wires to your FM100?
Fcwlp - Good catch, I bet that's it!
Screenshot_20210120-134609_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
mattyxp@yahoo.com
Forum Member
Flexnet DC
HUB10 port hub

Hi fcwlp,

Yes and Yes...

I installed battery sense twisted pair shielded wires from the battery bus bar at the battery bank to each of the two FM100 charge controllers.

I also used my Fluke professional meter to make sure the battery bus bar at the battery bank matched the voltage both at the aux terminals of the battery sense wires in each FM100 charge controller which also matched what was being reported by each FM100 charge controller on OpticsRE and on the Mate3s. All dialed in perfect.

The problem has persisted with the battery sense wires installed from day 1...

Thank you for your assistance and happy to receive any more help anyone might have!
mattyxp@yahoo.com
Forum Member
Flexnet DC
HUB10 port hub

fcwlp wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:44 am Are the CCs battery voltages calibrated? Did you install the voltage sense wires to your FM100?
See my above fcwlp...thanks for your help!
fcwlp
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed.

I install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems in my area and consult on solar system design/operation.

Post by fcwlp »

I just re-read your original post.
mattyxp@yahoo.com wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:35 pm Two Flexmax100 afci charge controllers with aux battery temperature sensor wire install from battery bus bar to both FM100 charge controllers
Is the above for the BTS or voltage sense? No BTS with SimpliPhi batteries.
mattyxp@yahoo.com
Forum Member
Flexnet DC
HUB10 port hub

fcwlp wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:16 am I just re-read your original post.
mattyxp@yahoo.com wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:35 pm Two Flexmax100 afci charge controllers with aux battery temperature sensor wire install from battery bus bar to both FM100 charge controllers
Is the above for the BTS or voltage sense? No BTS with SimpliPhi batteries.
Hi fcwlp,

Sorry, I typed "temperature" when I meant to type "voltage". I installed the voltage sense wires from the battery bank bus bar to each FM100 and the Flexmax DC...all calibrated using a professional Fluke meter.

I also had to install the battery temperature sensor into one of the FM100's because, without it installed, my Mate3s throws around wild battery temp readings from "###" (which denotes no battery temp sensor installed) to 32 degrees f to 450 degrees f and back to "###". I believe my main issue may be being caused by the Mate3s believing there is a battery overtemp issue occurring and then the Mate3s turns off one FM100 charge controller because of this false overtemp reading. To trouble shoot this, I have installed the battery temp sensor into one of the FM100 charge controllers and the battery temp reading is now stable. To eliminate the stupidly non-disablable temp comp slope settings, I have had to jerry-rig a heating source to keep the battery temp sensor right at 77 degrees f / 25 degrees c.
I will see today if the system works correctly or not to determine if the wild/false battery temp readings of the Mate3s with no BTS installed is the cause of the issue or not.

Again, I can cheat the system by just unplugging one of the FM100's from the HUB10 and magically everything works perfect and the second FM100 that is disconnected from the HUB10 will not shut down to "Silent" mode.

On a side note, Outback really needs to modify the temp comp slope setting of the FM100 to allow for a "0" setting so that a temp sensor can be installed on the system but it would then have no effect / voltage modification for all of us users with lithium batteries. Outback really needs to get with it on this...everything is going lithium right now and lithium has so many advantages over lead acid / agm.

Thanks again for helping with my issue!
Last edited by mattyxp@yahoo.com on Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Curran
Forum Emperor

Post by Mike Curran »

On a side note, Outback really needs to modify the temp comp slope setting of the FM100 to allow for a "0" setting so that a temp sensor can be installed on the system but will then have no effect for all us users with lithium batteries
Fyi & FWIW, Outback has incorporated this feature in Skybox, so I have a battery temperature readout without any temperature compensation.
20210121_101411.jpg
I agree it's needed for their other products advertised as compatible with "advanced battery technologies".
mattyxp@yahoo.com
Forum Member
Flexnet DC
HUB10 port hub

Mike Curran wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:15 am
On a side note, Outback really needs to modify the temp comp slope setting of the FM100 to allow for a "0" setting so that a temp sensor can be installed on the system but will then have no effect for all us users with lithium batteries
Fyi & FWIW, Outback has incorporated this feature in Skybox, so I have a battery temperature readout without any temperature compensation.20210121_101411.jpgI agree it's needed for their other products advertised as compatible with "advanced battery technologies".
Hi Mike,
That is interesting that the Skybox team at Outback thought of this because Lithium batteries are here to stay but the Flexmax100 afci team did not think of this...really basic stuff! Anyway, Lones Tuss at Outback is inquiring with the FM100 team to see about adding a "0" option to the temp comp slope setting.
Thank you for bringing this up and I will let Lones Tuss know about it as well which may help get an update to fix this oversight sooner than later.
mattyxp@yahoo.com
Forum Member
Flexnet DC
HUB10 port hub

Solution:
I believe I have found my solution today...please note that these are only my observations and opinions which are what I did to bush fix my issue and are not the solution/opinion/advice of Outback Power...

With lithium batteries we are told to disconnect the Battery Temp Sensor (BTS) from the system which I had done since lithium batteries do not need temperature compensation of the voltage while charging in "Absorb" and "Float" modes.
However, with the BTS disconnected from the system, my Mate3s was getting ghost/random electrical signals that the Mate3s interpreted as real temperature readings from the batteries. These false/non-existent/wild/random/ghost temperature readings that the Mate3s thinks it is seeing (with the BTS disconnected) are ranging from 30 degrees F to 490 degrees F.
Seeing these false very high battery temperature readings, the Mate3s then goes and, via its internal "logic" (or lack thereof), shuts down one of the two FM100 charge controllers into "Silent" mode...when, in fact, there are no battery temperature readings or problems and both FM100 charge controllers should stay in "Bulk" mode until the "Absorb" mode voltage is reached.

On a side note, my random electrical signals the Mate3s is interpreting as battery temperature readings are probably coming from harmonic noise in the 3rd, 5th, and 7th from my Yaskawa 3-phase Variable Frequency Drive that controls/powers my deep water well pump. I did add on a Lineator Harmonic Filter from Mirus between the well pump VFD drive and the rest of the electrical system way back when but we're guessing a small amount of harmonic noise is still ringing through the entire electrical system and that is probably what the Mate3s is interpreting as these false battery temperature readings.

My Solution:
1) Plug the battery temperature sensor (BTS) back into one of the FM100 charge controllers and make sure the Mate3s is then reading a steady and proper temperature from the end of the BTS.
2) Then rig up a digital temperature controlled heating pad (Amazon has lizard heating pads like this for about $28USD) with the BTS placed on the heating pad with the heating pad set to 25 degrees C / 77 degrees F
...I'm not joking here, I really had to do this to fake out the Temperature Compensation logic of the FM100's so as not to overcharge/undercharge the lithium batteries which the Temp Comp Slope setting of the FM100's will want to do if the BTS temperature deviates from the 25 degrees C.
3) In OpticsRE, bring up Device Map
4) In Mate3s settings under Global Charge tab, leave Float Coordination =Enabled
5) In FM100 settings under Temp Comp tab, set for all FM100 charge controllers:
Battery Temp Comp Range =Limited
Limited: Lower Battery Voltage =your battery Float voltage setting
Limited: Upper Battery Voltage =your battery Absorb voltage setting
Temperature Comp Slope =2mV/C

That did it for me today and all working perfectly again. Outback is aware of this internal problem now regarding the ghost/random battery temperature readings when the BTS is disconnected from the system and is checking it out and working on a solution. The solution appears to simply be to allow an FM100 Temperature Comp Slope setting of =0 to turn off temperature compensation for those of us with lithium batteries. But until Outback comes out with a firmware update to remedy/fix this issue, the digital temperature controlled heating pad will have to suffice.

Outback Power Engineers...Please remedy/fix this issue asap for all of us lithium battery users that are seeing one of our FM100 charge controllers turn off to "Silent" mode in the middle of "Bulk" charging due to the Mate3s seeing random/ghost/not real temperature readings with the BTS disconnected from the system.

Have a great day!
fcwlp
Forum Czar

Post by fcwlp »

Matt, good job.
mattyxp@yahoo.com wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:35 pm Battery Temp Comp Range =Limited
Did you consider setting your Lower and Upper Battery Voltages greater than what the lithium battery HBCO is? That way you could get rid of the temp controlled pad.
mattyxp@yahoo.com
Forum Member
Flexnet DC
HUB10 port hub

fcwlp wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:04 am Matt, good job.
mattyxp@yahoo.com wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:35 pm Battery Temp Comp Range =Limited
Did you consider setting your Lower and Upper Battery Voltages greater than what the lithium battery HBCO is? That way you could get rid of the temp controlled pad.
Hi fcwlp,

I tried a bunch of different settings for the lower and upper temp comp battery voltage settings on the FM100's. Setting them both to 56v (Absorb setting) did not allow the Float charge to lower down to its setting of 54v so that doesn't work. Setting them higher just lets the temp comp run up the battery Absorb charge voltage way too high and then won't let the Float charge come down to its correct voltage setting.

Outback Power tech support doesn't know of a way to do these settings in order to somehow stop the temp comp from kicking in and messing things up other than keeping the battery temp sensor right at 77 degrees F / 25 degrees C

I really hope Outback Power engineers make an asap beta firmware update available to remedy/fix my issue...it is an extremely easy solution...we'll see. In the meantime, the lizard heating pad from Amazon will have to suffice...definitely pathetic but also kinda comical at the same time!

sbrownian
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048 FM80 FNDC Mate3
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Had 1200 Ahr FLA Locomotive batts
Just replaced with
2 x 300 Ah ReLion Lithium packs
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

Somehow, there are two threads with IDENTICAL naming going on here...

Perhaps they should be combined somehow?

"Two Flexmax100 charge controllers installed but Mate3s keeps turning one to "Silent" mode before Absorb voltage reached"
Information, you get not; if incorrect question, you ask..
fcwlp
Forum Czar

Post by fcwlp »

mattyxp@yahoo.com wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:30 am I tried a bunch of different settings for the lower and upper temp comp battery voltage settings on the FM100's. Setting them both to 56v (Absorb setting) did not allow the Float charge to lower down to its setting of 54v so that doesn't work. Setting them higher just lets the temp comp run up the battery Absorb charge voltage way too high and then won't let the Float charge come down to its correct voltage setting.
I always use wide for lead-acid. Based on your testing the limited works differently than I thought it did.