Help with installing two device

Discussion about the FM100 AFCI Charge Controller
badr15
Forum Member
My RE system: 24 panels 6 panels connected in serie(VOC 267 V) On 4 matrices 7.2 kW
Solar panels 24 panels installed on one base on sandy ground in the desert
must pv35-12kw inverter and ac charge
FLEXmax 100 AFCI charge controller
Outback FLEXnet DC monitor with 1 shunt for inverter
Outback MATE3s system controller
Outback Hub
battery 150 amp Circuit Breaker
battery hoppecke model: (8hpzs840) 2V (24pics) lead acid @ 48 volts 840AH
Running OpticsRE since March 2020
Location:Desert camp 70 miles north of riyadh saudi arabia @ elevation 250 ft

Help with installing two device

Post by badr15 »

I have a device OutBack Power FLEXmax 100 (FM100-300VDC) and solar panels (9000 watts) and I bought another device OutBack Power FLEXmax 100 (FM100-300VDC) , so how can the correct installation method be so that two devices work together without problems? Please help me with the settings for (Mate3s)

Do the charging settings in the two devices must be the same ?
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Help with installing two device

Post by raysun »

The FM100 manual shows an example of dual charge controller wiring on page 23. (The diagram includes Rapid Shutdown, which, it appears, can be ignored if not in use.)

Each FM100 is wired to its own solar array, and wired in parallel to the battery positive bus, battery negative, and Ground. Each controller needs its own PV input disconnect, and controller output disconnect circuit breakers.

I don't know if there's any additional wiring to have the two controllers communicate temperature compensation, or other control data. Plugging both into the Hub, of course, is necessary.

The two controllers should be configured to operate "in unison" by calibrating them to read identical battery voltage, and programmed with identical charging profiles.

With two charge controllers, check that their maximum combined output current doesn't exceed the battery's maximum charging current. If they do, limiting the output current will be necessary.

The Mate has advanced charger control functions on the Global Charge menu that can help to manage charging.

Auto Charge Termination Control works with the FNDC Battery Charge data (Charged Voltage, Charged Time, and Charged Return Amps) to accurately stop charging when the battery is full.

Global Charger Control can be used to set the maximum output current from all chargers (Outback Charge Controllers and Inverter chargers) to a safe value for the battery.

Float Coordination will set all charge controllers to Float when any of them first reach Float.
fcwlp
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed.

I install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems in my area and consult on solar system design/operation.

Post by fcwlp »

A couple of additional points from the FM100 Owner's Manual:
- At the bottom of p.13, you need to remove the GFDI fuse from the second and any additional FM100s.
- At the bottom of p.17, it recommends plugging the RTS into the FM100 and it will communicate with other devices thru the Hub & Mate3s. It does not say which FM100, I would use the first one that you installed.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

I was hoping you'd fill in the gaps. 😀