Skybox Stopped using batteries in Self Consumption?

True Hybrid Energy System
49chevyman@gmail.com
Forum Member
My RE system: Skybox, 5920W solar, 26kWh LiFePO Batteries

Skybox Stopped using batteries in Self Consumption?

Post by 49chevyman@gmail.com »

Skybox was working great after dropping my maximum battery SOC to 90% as per Outback support suggestion. Then I had a rainy day, with less than 1kWh of solar. The batteries dropped to minimum SOC, then discharged all the way down to the LBCO voltage. Over the next two sunny days, the batteries recharged, but the system is not automatically using the batteries at night to support my critical loads. They are just staying full. I can switch the grid breaker off to force it to use the batteries, but do not want to have to do that. Any ideas on what I should try to make it start behaving properly again? I can supply trends from Optics if that helps.

Thanks,
Kevin
Brian_B
Forum Member
My RE system: Skybox
3.25kW Canadian Solar
40kWh Samsung SDI
Predator 8.25kW Gas Backup

Re: Skybox Stopped using batteries in Self Consumption?

Post by Brian_B »

No real clues on the root cause here, but have you tried rebooting the unit? Sometimes that helps when strange issues pop up. Remove all power sources to it, let it cycle off and stay off for a bit, then restore power sources for it to come back up.

It will drop power to your loads while you have all the power removed, until the unit gets booted back up.
49chevyman@gmail.com
Forum Member

I will try that now and see how it goes. No worries about the loads dropping as I have a bypass switch installed so grid can feed the critical load panel when the Skybox needs to be shut down.
gasolarenergy
Forum Member
My RE system: Skybox inverter, Kilovault HAB 7.5kw, 14 Seraphim 370 watt panels ground mount PV in 2 strings for a total of 5.18kv

Post by gasolarenergy »

Mine does this as well from time to time and I can drop grid power to get it to start using batteries, then switch grid back on, or I can reboot. If it's not too inconvenient at the time, I reboot.
Dennis Gass
GA Solar Energy LLC
www.gasolarenergy.com
706-623-0009
49chevyman@gmail.com
Forum Member

The reboot worked, thanks guys! I had high hopes that the Skybox would be more reliable than a Windows computer and not need rebooting all the time.

I did try just dropping the grid input. It started using the batteries, but when I put grid power back on, it did not continue using batteries later that night.