Networking queston

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Cisco Ken
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Outback Power Panel with two VFX3648 Inverters, X240, MX60, Surrette batteries in a 48 volt configuration, Generac Ecogen 6KW generator.

Networking queston

Post by Cisco Ken »

The Optics Re site requires the MAC address of the Mate to operate. How does the site see the MAC address. In an IP packet the site should only see the IP address and the MAC address of the output ethernet port of the router. The internal MAC addresses of devices inside the network should be hidden. Does the Mate send the MAC address to the Optics RE site some other way?
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Re: Networking queston

Post by David LeBow »

The Mate3 and Mate3S controllers (but not the older Mate and Mate2) have firmware which, when configured, know where to find OpticsRE. OpticsRE never knows where to "find" the Mate3.

The Mate3 then sends its own MAC address in all communications with OpticsRE and OpticsRE uses that as the unique identifier for the controller.
David LeBow
Sr. Director, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Post by Greg T Fordan »

To find out the IP address that your MATE3 or MATE3s has generated, click the Port button, on the screen that will show up, the first line is the IP address. The permanent MAC address is also in this screen.
To get that, configure your system to be enabled for OpticsRE --> Lock/Settings/System/OpticsRe/Enabled
IP.JPG
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies
Cisco Ken
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Outback Power Panel with two VFX3648 Inverters, X240, MX60, Surrette batteries in a 48 volt configuration, Generac Ecogen 6KW generator.

Post by Cisco Ken »

Thanks for the information about the MAC address. I thought it was something like that.
Harriett
Forum Member

Post by Harriett »

Cisco Ken wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:00 pm The Optics Re site requires the MAC address of the Mate to operate. How does the site see the MAC address. In an IP packet the site should only see theFMWhatsApp IP address and the MAC address of the output ethernet port of the router. The internal MAC addresses of devices inside the network should be hidden. Does the Mate send the MAC address to the Optics RE site some other way?
In general it is not possible for a web site that you access to learn your MAC address. However there are special cases where the server could learn your MAC address: IPv6 supports assigning addresses in a way which embed the MAC address in the IP address.