OpticsRe going offline for days

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

WTFOver
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: VFX3524, 2)FM80-150VDC, Mate3S, 20 Valence Lithium Batteries, 18 250watt panels, 18 160watt panels. Off grid since 1984.

OpticsRe going offline for days

Post by WTFOver »

OpticsRE going offline for days till I go to my off grid setup and pull the LAN cable from the Mate3s to the Powerhub 10.3. and plug back in, then I'm good for a day. I am via satellite and all my security cameras, remote desktop etc work fine. In the past the OpticsRE has worked great but in the last 2 months it goes offline out of the blue. I use remote plug switches and can power the router extender that the LAN is plugged into down then power up again but OpticsRE stays offline. I have the Mate3s set to reboot every 8 hours but it doesn't come back when offline.
WTFOver
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: VFX3524, 2)FM80-150VDC, Mate3S, 20 Valence Lithium Batteries, 18 250watt panels, 18 160watt panels. Off grid since 1984.

Re: OpticsRe going offline for days

Post by WTFOver »

I just noticed on my event history that it went online/offline about 8 times between 7pm yesterday to 10pm yesterday then stayed offline.
The Electron
Forum Guru

Post by The Electron »

This is a known, ongoing systemic problem for (at least) some satellite internet based users. You are not alone! There have been a lot of help-desk inquiries, trying different things, and even different firmware rollbacks(as far back as 1.2.1) to try to get the Ethernet controller in the Mate3's to 'stay connected'- so far no dice... same symptoms here, also interspersed with all the bugs/phantom 'changes' as well as far as viewing/changing some of the parameters/settings in the Mate and/or the Radians (GSA's) goes when using Optics... Might be triggered by intermittent internet 'outage' often associated with satellite internet connections, but sadly the programmed Ethernet reboot interval oft won't shake the controller out of it's ...shall we say deep sleep...
snakelyone
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: mate3s 1.6.4

Post by snakelyone »

Obviously this is still a problem (March 2021), as I just updated my firmware and now I'm faced with the dreaded disconnect (I'm on satellite internet). How to I set up the regular mate reboot? Is there any chance of this ever being resolved? I was using a stable verison (1.2.4) and I'm so bummed I upgraded as now I'm back where I used to be. Any suggestions very very welcome. thank you
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Post by David LeBow »

The knowledge base may be of some help.

In general: https://opticsre.uservoice.com/knowledgebase

In particular: https://opticsre.uservoice.com/knowledg ... is-offline

The auto-reboot feature can be found in the Device map, select the Mate3S and click the Connectivity tab.

Looking at your OpticsRE site, I see that the auto-reboot is already set to one hour. Whatever's going on at the site, it looks like a Mate3S manual reboot will be required (instructions in the links above).

You're using firmware 1.2.1 in your Mate3S. Version 1.4.6 is available here: https://outbackpower.com/resources-mobi ... re-updates

While it won't fix every connection issue, it's better at it than the 1.2.1 you're currently using.

Watching internal message boards, I know that the satellite connectivity issues are high on people's list.
David LeBow
Sr. Director, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
jbriant
Forum Member
My RE system: Off Grid 24V
12kw PV (42 panels total)
Bergey XL1 wind turbine
Flex power 2 System
Kohler 12RES backup generato
Solar One 24v battery bank SO-6-85-27/24 1375ah
Six FlexMax charge controllers.

Re: OpticsRe going offline for days(well not days in my case. I reset as soon as it goes off line and I notice it).

Post by jbriant »

Hi, I am in the same boat, satellite internet, frequent "gateway is Offline" I am able to go power reset by disconnecting the cable at the hub. There is an autoreset button in the mate3s sofware that works when the gateway is online but not when the gateway
is offline. Is there a way to make it work when the gateway is offline, maybe a new software button that do the same thing as unplugging the cable at the hub.

Thanks for this valuable discussion tool for us OpticsRE and Outback users.
Brian and family somewhere in Vermont