Starlink and OpticsRE

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Escape Artist
Forum Member
My RE system: Outback FM80, dual Outback FX2024 inverters, 5kW PV, Bergey 1kW wind turbine, Mate v1

Starlink and OpticsRE

Post by Escape Artist »

Hello all,

We've been off grid about 20 years and just now finally got decent broadband via Starlink. I'm considering updating my older Outback system to a newer inverter and Mate 3 so I can use OpticsRE, as I've been impressed by the monitoring capabilities for clients for whom I've done recent Outback installs.

Question to the group. Has anyone else used OpticsRE with Starlink?

(Starlink currently does not allow port forwarding or DDNS assignments, so we've lost the ability to use some of our WAN webcam apps and have had to institute workarounds. Thus my question about OpticsRE.)

James in Maine
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Starlink and OpticsRE

Post by raysun »

There's been a few posts discussing Starling a bit, but none that I recall from an installed user.

Optics is strictly "phone home" via standard protocols (https on TCP, I believe), so doesn't need any "reverse" protocols (server to client.)

The closest analog world be folks using other satellite services like Hughes (with mixed results), but that's so different from Starling it would be hard to draw any parallels.

Several folks on this forum will be keenly interested, should you take the plunge.
sodamo
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Post by sodamo »

Very interested in Starlink and hope it arrives sooner than later. I’ve signed up, paid deposit. From what I have read I’ll simply plug my Unifi network into Starlink instead of my MOFI 4500 and it will work.
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Escape Artist
Forum Member
My RE system: Outback FM80, dual Outback FX2024 inverters, 5kW PV, Bergey 1kW wind turbine, Mate v1

Post by Escape Artist »

Starlink is well designed. We were able to forego the Starlink router and plug in our existing router (with mesh network) into the Ethernet port on the dish power supply brick. Had to rebuild our network (Google pucks) to get the Starlink speeds but that was fairly simply once I figured out our restrictions were due to existing router settings that had been stored based upon our much-slower satellite service.

If OpticsRE is indeed a simple data upload service, should work but will definitely post here if we upgrade and test it.

If anyone out there wants to donate or cheaply sell me a Mate3s and/or a newer 3524 inverter to do the test, I'm all in!
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS. X240 with big Bertha way off in the shop. Off grid.

Post by JRHill »

I hear ya. My neighbor and I are both on Hughes and both of us are awaiting our Starlink kits. I just got my last Hughes bill: $117.41 for the turtle speeds and metering. But the Gen5 is much better than DishNet or WildBlue from before. Still a long away from what people call broadband.