Mini Grid PSA

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability
JRKsolar
Forum Member
My RE system: Outback GS8048A
2) Kilovault HAB 7.5
Outback Flexmax 100 AFCI
12) Mission Solar 375W
Tigo TS4-A2F

Mini Grid PSA

Post by JRKsolar »

i've been struggling with Mini Grid not switching to the grid when it reaches the Connect to Grid voltage. It stopped working at some point. Turns out if you set the inverter's absorb time to zero, which you didn't used to be able to do, it won't connect as it thinks the charge cycle is complete. I'm not sure how it got set to zero, but once I went back to 0.1 everything works. Hopefully this can save someone else a bunch of troubleshooting.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Mini Grid PSA

Post by raysun »

Setting the chargers' (inverter, FlexMax charge controller) Absorb Time to 0H causes the charge cycle to skip Bulk and Absorb, proceeding directly to Float.

That feature has been in the OB system for as long as I have been using the equipment (5+ years at least.)
JRKsolar
Forum Member
My RE system: Outback GS8048A
2) Kilovault HAB 7.5
Outback Flexmax 100 AFCI
12) Mission Solar 375W
Tigo TS4-A2F

Post by JRKsolar »

Huh, I would've sworn it wasn't possible to go under 0.1hr, but all the docs I have agree with you. Maybe in my mind I turned "time = 0 means no charging" into "you can't go under 0.1". My bad. Anyway, maybe this will help someone else who's trying to figure out why Mini Grid isn't connecting to the grid as they expect.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

JRKsolar wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:28 am Huh, I would've sworn it wasn't possible to go under 0.1hr, but all the docs I have agree with you. Maybe in my mind I turned "time = 0 means no charging" into "you can't go under 0.1". My bad. Anyway, maybe this will help someone else who's trying to figure out why Mini Grid isn't connecting to the grid as they expect.
Absolutely. The sudden change in function between a non-zero Absorb Time setting and zero Absorb Time could easily cause a good deal of confusion.

As an Off Grid user, the Grid Interactive effects of this setting were not even on my radar. Thanks! I learned something today.