AC Input suddenly not working from generator (ac input light blinking yellow and inverter clicking)

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability
sentrathis96
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Outback Radian 8048GS Inverter

AC Input suddenly not working from generator (ac input light blinking yellow and inverter clicking)

Post by sentrathis96 »

I have a Radian GS8048, I had my generator connected to the gen input (via the 50 amp 240v outlet on my 9kw generator) and it was working fine (the transfer switch would engage and would charge the batteries as expected).

Yesterday I moved my equipment about 50 feet away to a separate building, the inverter is working fine, the generator is connected with L1 and L2 from the generator to the gen in ports on the generator (as it was before). When I turn the generator on, the AC input voltage is a little sporadic and usually settles around 230v, when I check the leads going into the unit from the generator with my multimeter I get a consistent 241v reading.

On the MATE3 when I select ac input "USE" from "DROP" you can hear a loud relay click in the inverter (transfer switch engaging I think?) but shortly after you hear it click again and the AC input is never actually transferred. This will continue to happen until I switch back to AC Input drop

On the AC Input section on the MATE3 when I select the disconnect option (I think this is to show what the reason for the last ac disconnect was?) the only option that has a Y by it is "low gen input VAC".

This was working prior to me moving it, I really hope I'm missing something obvious here and that the community can help! I live off-grid so this is pretty crucial to get working - I attempted to contact tech support but their recording said that their system is down and they are unable to process my call so I'm really hoping I can get the guidance I need here!
EA6LE-ONE
Forum Guru
My RE system: System 1:
MATE3s, 3 x Radian GS8048A,
4 x FLEXmax 100, HUB10,
2 x EnergyCell 48V 2700RE,
1 x FLEXnet DC, 4 x FLEXware ICS Plus,
54 x PANASONIC VBHN325SA17 325W

System 2:
MATE3s, Radian GS8048A,
2 x FLEXmax 100, HUB10
1 x EnergyCell 48V 2700RE,
1 x FLEXnet DC, 2 x FLEXware ICS
21 x PANASONIC VBHN325SA17 325W

Re: AC Input suddenly not working from generator (ac input light blinking yellow and inverter clicking)

Post by EA6LE-ONE »

What gouge wire are you using between the generator and inverter? should be at least gouge 6 for 50amps.
Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Re: AC Input suddenly not working from generator (ac input light blinking yellow and inverter clicking)

Post by Greg T Fordan »

sentrathis96 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:42 am xxx Yesterday I moved my equipment about 50 feet away to a separate building, the inverter is working fine, the generator is connected with L1 and L2 from the generator to the gen in ports on the generator (as it was before). When I turn the generator on, the AC input voltage is a little sporadic and usually settles around 230v, when I check the leads going into the unit from the generator with my multimeter I get a consistent 241v reading.
You only mentioned L1 and L2 connections from the generator. Did you also connect the neutral N?
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies
sbrownian
Forum Guru
My RE system: GS8048 FM80 FNDC Mate3
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Had 1200 Ahr FLA Locomotive batts
Just replaced with
2 x 300 Ah ReLion Lithium packs
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

Greg T Fordan wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:31 pm
sentrathis96 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:42 am xxx Yesterday I moved my equipment about 50 feet away to a separate building, the inverter is working fine, the generator is connected with L1 and L2 from the generator to the gen in ports on the generator (as it was before). When I turn the generator on, the AC input voltage is a little sporadic and usually settles around 230v, when I check the leads going into the unit from the generator with my multimeter I get a consistent 241v reading.
You only mentioned L1 and L2 connections from the generator. Did you also connect the neutral N?
... and maintain the neutral / grounding connections? (Bonding, etc.)
sentrathis96
Forum Junior Member

Post by sentrathis96 »

The receptacle housing is bonded to the common ground, neutral is not wired from the generator since the inverter takes 240v

I didn't have the neutral wired prior to me moving the equipment and everything worked as expected
EA6LE-ONE
Forum Guru
My RE system: System 1:
MATE3s, 3 x Radian GS8048A,
4 x FLEXmax 100, HUB10,
2 x EnergyCell 48V 2700RE,
1 x FLEXnet DC, 4 x FLEXware ICS Plus,
54 x PANASONIC VBHN325SA17 325W

System 2:
MATE3s, Radian GS8048A,
2 x FLEXmax 100, HUB10
1 x EnergyCell 48V 2700RE,
1 x FLEXnet DC, 2 x FLEXware ICS
21 x PANASONIC VBHN325SA17 325W

Post by EA6LE-ONE »

sentrathis96 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:02 pm
The receptacle housing is bonded to the common ground, neutral is not wired from the generator since the inverter takes 240v

I didn't have the neutral wired prior to me moving the equipment and everything worked as expected
that is not right. you can have only loads that are are 240V connected to the generator then. the null is needed for loads that are 120V and the radian is passing power for 120V loads as well.

maybe you have the null and grounding bonded in the panel and the generator has a bond as well and the ground from generator was connected to the panel.

I suspect that when you moved the generator you connected to a different ground bar. and that is why is not working. if you run a grounding wire to the panel will work again but you will have 2 ground to null bonds. you need to rewire the generator and remove the ground bonding from generator. have a qualified electrician to take a look at generator and rewire it for you.
Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Post by Greg T Fordan »

Generator input for GS8048A Radian will NOT work with just the L1 and L2 input wires. You need that third wire N in order for the inverter to accept it. As you see below, the Gen Lower Voltage Limit and Gen Upper Voltage Limit is based on half the 240V input. If you measure L1 to N or L2 to N, the voltage should be from 108VAC to 140VAC
11421.JPG
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies
sentrathis96
Forum Junior Member

Post by sentrathis96 »

Greg T Fordan wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:00 pm Generator input for GS8048A Radian will NOT work with just the L1 and L2 input wires. You need that third wire N in order for the inverter to accept it. As you see below, the Gen Lower Voltage Limit and Gen Upper Voltage Limit is based on half the 240V input. If you measure L1 to N or L2 to N, the voltage should be from 108VAC to 140VAC
11421.JPG
That makes sense, thank you so much for posting Greg! I will re-wire my generator to the inverter and give it a shot. I'll post back with my results