Mate 3 Cannot Recover from Ethernet Outage

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric
Honda EU3000is generator

Re: Mate 3 Cannot Recover from Ethernet Outage

Post by provo »

pioneerMan wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:44 pm
Can someone chime in, who posted earlier, if the major issues have been resolved?
Well I didn't chime in before, and I've only had a Mate3s since mid-2018, but I've had NO problems with it. I do have a generally robust internet connection, which goes down maybe twice a year for a few hours. When that happens the Mate3s has always come back fully after internet is restored, maybe with the help of a power reset (unplug and reconnect the HUB connection).

I do use a non-Outback ethernet cable to my ethernet-to-wifi adapter, since others have had problems with the OB cables.

Edit -- one little detail, I often have problems loading new firmware -- it may be the SD cards at fault, or it may be something twitchy about the SD card reader in my Mate3s.
basrijn
Forum Expert
My RE system: MATE3s, FLEXNET DC, FlexMax 80, FXR3048A, 4x Enersys SBS 170F, Honda EU 1500/Wacker G25

Post by basrijn »

Hi,

And I should have clarified (I had not read the post that was linked). My issue was specifically with the local network connection disappearing. This happened over a number of different network switches, cables etc. A reboot of the unit always resolves it. No other device on the same switch has the same issues.

If the connection is OK locally, it's also fine connection to the cloud component (over satellite)

Bas
sbrownian
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048 FM80 FNDC Mate3
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Had 1200 Ahr FLA Locomotive batts
Just replaced with
2 x 300 Ah ReLion Lithium packs
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

There is a reboot timer in the mate. The system I mess with has it set to four hours. Creates log entries every time it reboots, but so far, a hard "unplug it from the hub" hasn't been required since.
Information, you get not; if incorrect question, you ask..
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS.

Post by JRHill »

pioneerMan wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:44 pm I was alerted to this thread from a 2017 Mate3s review, provided by Bill Gordon, that I read here:

https://www.altestore.com/store/outback ... ews/21569/

I have been thinking of buying the new Mate3s, since I have the original Mate, but this thread has caused concern.
So you have the original Mate? Not the Mate3?
pioneerMan
Forum Virtuoso
My RE system: 12 volt system
26 lead acid batteries, 6V, each rated at 210 amp hours
12 solar panels (Mitsubishi 125 Watt)
Outback VFX2812 inverter and two FLEXmax 60 inverters
Trimetric 2030A battery monitor
Mate 3d
Dual fuel 4500 watt AC generator

Post by pioneerMan »

Correct. I have the original, oval, white colored Mate.
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS.

Post by JRHill »

pioneerMan wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:29 pmCorrect. I have the original, oval, white colored Mate.
I recall there were some firmware updates released for the Mate3s that should've resolved the issue sited in the link. That review was from 2017 and two others from 2018. The two more recent reviewers were happy with the Mate3s.
Aguila
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Radian,2fm80

Post by Aguila »

I am a solar installer in Costa Rica. The system running optics re and mate3s .It is 7kw solar panels radian inverter and 2 fm80 controllers.
The only time I had to have mate3s unpluged from inverter to have it reset . Becsuse of internet falure becuse microwave. Link fail at hotel. When internet comes back. The mate3s somtimes doses not reconnect. But this happens not that often. Usually system reconects by itself.The adapter connected to mate is tp link. And the sytem is set to autmomatic dhpc. This is a hotel installation and I monitor an control system. 3 times a day through internet. The employees at hotel reset mate if it fails to reconect.When I send them watsup message. I could install a relay controled remotely by internet. To reset mate if it becomes an issue. But for now the employees been reseting it. When it has to be reset.
sbrownian
Forum Czar
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Just replaced with
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

Try setting the auto reboot timer to 4 hours..
If that does not work, try a shorter time.
Might want to finish updating your equipment profile..

Just curious, are you around San Jose, by any chance?
Aguila
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Radian,2fm80

Post by Aguila »

I just set up new site. With mate3s . And connected to internet on second day it showed patial connection on opticsre site but showed conneted on mate3s so I rebooted mate. Then on optics re site it showed online. So I set mate for auto reboot every 12 hours. And it has not gone ofline for past 2 days. Thanks for advice it worked .I will set auto reboot on other site when I go there.
sbrownian
Forum Czar
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Just replaced with
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

Very good!

Might finish up populating your equipment list.

We're San Jose bound next month, (Rohrmoser area for a few weeks, dental tourism,) and I'm really wishing I'd taken Spanish instead of German in High School and college...

Although our High School German teacher did have a Spanish accent...

Does that count?😋

Pura Vida!
Steve