Forum Member
My RE system: Mate3s
3 GVFX3648
4 FM60
10kw array
440 ah battery

Direct connection between Mate3s and router/gateway

Post by Allen »

In a previous topic, the mate was unable to access Opticsre. The connection between the mate and the router was via wifi from a repeater. Direct connection with cat 6 cable fixed that. WHY? I've tested the repeater wifi link and found it to be acceptable; I was able to reach all web sites and servers that I tried (even obpre.net). The troubleshooting document indicates that if I can reach that site the mate should be able to access the Opticsre server. But apparently this is not the case. My 1st Mate3s which I got a bit over a year ago worked fine over the repeater link (it was replaced because of the display problem). Since then replacement mate(s) have NOT been able to access Opticsre over the repeater link. Does anyone know why this is and if there is a workaround? The mate and my router are not very close together so it is not convenient to run ethernet cable.
pss
Forum Czar
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Re: Direct connection between Mate3s and router/gateway

Post by pss »

Couple of questions first:
Repeater or wifi access point?
Make and model please.
DHCP server on router or assigned IP address.
Is address reserved for mate with correct mac address?.
If your hardware has a wireless connection to your router, what network frequency, channel, speed and encryption being used.
Allen
Forum Member
3 GVFX3648
4 FM60
10kw array
440 ah battery

Post by Allen »

TPlink RE200
Repeater
Static IP assigned on mate3s
Correct MAC address
Wifi connection: no encryption, 2.4 GhZ, clear channel (my router. Is the only AP in the area,we are rural), no interference, several gbps through put at least.

As noted, with the long cat 6 cable, no problem. But with the repeater, attempt by mate to connect to opticsre shuts down ip traffic to/from mate(except for pings). When I first installed this unit it did connect, then stopped after a while. My 1st mate3s obtained a year ago spring, worked for over a year with this configuration. I tested the link between the repeater and the internet and its no different than the rest of my network.
pss
Forum Czar
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Post by pss »

I have set one of these up. If I remember correctly, it has a different network name for the wireless than that of router, but can use DHCP of router and support assigned IP address.

This is my suggestion:
Sometimes not all devices will support traffic in all protocols even if backwards compatible.
Since you are going with cat 6 from Mate 3 into the RE-200, then wireless from that to router, I would first select a fixed channel using 2.4 GHz frequency. Then select wireless N or G protocol, not AC. Also, change ip address assigned to mate to clear buffer. Make certain dns is correct like using Google public dns servers.
Please report back on progress.
Allen
Forum Member
3 GVFX3648
4 FM60
10kw array
440 ah battery

Post by Allen »

My router is set as the access point. I am using the 3 non-overlapping bands, 1,6,11 on the 2.4 Ghz. Are you suggesting using the tplink as an AP? Not sure how to have my router act as both an AP and a client.
pss
Forum Czar

Post by pss »

It is my suggestion that your router be connected to your internet gateway device. The router should function as router, not access point. The router should have DHCP active so mate could use an address from router. You can then reserve mate IP address assigned by DHCP server, or assign an IP address outside the range of the DHCP server.
Set up the tp link as an access point to the router. Use cat 6 from Mate 3 to tp link port.

Make certain it all works if you can by plugging in another device first like Roku box, laptop etc into the cat 6 before the mate 3 to make certain internet is reached okay. Then plug in mate 3. This should work.
Allen
Forum Member
3 GVFX3648
4 FM60
10kw array
440 ah battery

Post by Allen »

The router is also acting as a router providing IP addresses and internet access to a variety of devices. It is directly connected to the gateway device. Note also, using DHCP and changing the IP address did not fix the access to Opticsre.
pss
Forum Czar

Post by pss »

Okay. Try this: Router is set up to provide DHCP service and an IP address. Wireless of router is 2.4 GHz wireless N or G only. The TP link is in access point mode and passes through the IP addresses from the router. The TP link is also set as 2.4 GHz and wireless N or G only. Now, plug the cat 6 cable into the TP link on one end and on the other a laptop. Next, ping the following IP address: 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS server). You should be able to ping this with no packet loss and a time of well under 50 ms. From the laptop device, determine the IP address that was assigned to it by the DHCP server. Then from another device on your network, ping that IP address. If it is blocked, turn off firewall on the laptop. If not reachable check router settings and tp link access point settings. You need to determine that you can see "out" without any problems and you can be seen from inside your network.

If all of that is successful, the issue come down to the Mate 3 settings and configuration or from your public IP address and internet provider access to your network devices. If you have something else on your network like an Ecobee or Ring that works fine when you are not at home, this would help confirm you should be reachable.
Also, you can do a port scan on your IP address assigned to the Mate 3 as well as your gateway ip address and public IP address.

This entire issue becomes a careful process of eliminating all areas where the packets could be being blocked.
Allen
Forum Member
3 GVFX3648
4 FM60
10kw array
440 ah battery

Post by Allen »

after messing around with the mate hooking up my computer to it and attempting wifi sharing to try to capture some packets to see what might be blocked, it suddenly started working again when I hooked it back up to the repeater. Don't ask! I have no clue about what I did to get this thing working again other than simply beating it into submission! :lol:
pss
Forum Czar

Post by pss »

That's good news. Carefully make note of all the IP addresses the mate 3 is reporting it's using for internet and intranet in case it goes out again
sbrownian
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048 FM80 FNDC Mate3 4 port HUB
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Off grid.
Originally installed with 1200 AH of FLA Locomotive batts.
Replaced after 9 years of service with 2 x 300 AH ReLion Lithium packs.
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

If you have an Android device, I use 'Fing' to go out and sniff for devices on the local network.

You also might do a port scan / check on the Mate and the router / intermediate devices to make sure that they can pass all the port #s in use. (Kind of a remote possibility, but it's one I would check.)

When you 'sniff' with Wireshark, do you have a device acting as a network tap, or ? (An old 10/100 dumb 1/2 duplex >HUB< will also work in a pinch.)

BTW, some of the higher end switches have a port / vlan mirror function for network protocol analysis..
Information, you get not; if incorrect question, you ask..