26 lead acid batteries, 6V, each rated at 210 amp hours
12 solar panels (Mitsubishi 125 Watt)
Outback VFX2812 inverter and two FLEXmax 60 inverters
Trimetric 2030A battery monitor
Mate 3d
Dual fuel 4500 watt AC generator

Different time remaining for the EQ charge

Post by pioneerMan »

When I first started the EQ charge using the Mate, the screens for both charge controllers said MPPT EQ. Then I left the battery shed, since I setup the charge to go for 2 hours.

When I came back, the charge controllers no longer said MPPT, they just said EQ and then I assume the amount of time remaining.

eq1.jpeg
eq2.jpeg
The amount of time remaining on Mate3s screen was a different amount, 23 minutes. If the EQ was started from the Mate, can someone help me understand why I get three different numbers for the amount of time left? Which one is accurate?

Thank you.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Different time remaining for the EQ charge

Post by raysun »

Is EQ running on all three chargers, 2 charge controllers, and inverter charger?

The Mate's countdown timer is showing the cumulative time left for the battery to be held at EQ voltage. The FM charge controllers show the cumulative time left for each of them to hold the battery at EQ voltage - a voltage value they apparently have not reached for the same amount of time as, say, the inverter charger.
Last edited by raysun on Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

I have a hard time equalizing with charge controller and inverter/charger trying to share the charging. Sometimes it sort of works, but because you're holding a constant voltage, something (usually the inverter/charger) ends up taking most or all of the burden.

Now I don't even try -- I just turn the charge controller off entirely and use the charger by itself. In your case, you might want to EQ one bank of batteries at a time....
pss
Forum Czar
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Post by pss »

My advice is to set the inverter's charger to your proper equalization settings and make certain you have allowed enough amperage. Then get up early in the morning and start your equalization procedure. This will effectively cut off the charge controllers until the equalization is completed, they then will come back on line automatically and resume producing PV. Doing this early in the morning limits loss of PV harvest. I generally run a 3 hour from 7 am till 10 am.
pioneerMan
Forum Guru
My RE system: 12 volt system
26 lead acid batteries, 6V, each rated at 210 amp hours
12 solar panels (Mitsubishi 125 Watt)
Outback VFX2812 inverter and two FLEXmax 60 inverters
Trimetric 2030A battery monitor
Mate 3d
Dual fuel 4500 watt AC generator

Post by pioneerMan »

raysun wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:47 pm Is EQ running on all three chargers, 2 charge controllers, and inverter charger?
I assumed once I got the Mate3s up and running, that I could control everything from that one interface. So when I initiated the EQ charge the other day from the Mate, I didn't realize I had to also go into the inverter and charge controllers and initiate an EQ charge there as well. If this is really how it's supposed to be, then this is not a very user-friendly system.
pss
Forum Czar
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Post by pss »

It's really quite simple. Have your batteries close to 100% charged, have your inverter's charger on, go to the mate and use the button to turn on an equalization and it will run the prescribed time and voltage. Then your chargers will come back on line. Very simple. Chargers not even needed.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

So when I initiated the EQ charge the other day from the Mate, I didn't realize I had to also go into the inverter and charge controllers and initiate an EQ charge there as well.
If properly set up the Start EQ command on the Mate3s will signal each charger to start an EQ cycle, the parameters of which are programmed into the respective individual chargers.

I don't understand how one can "go into the inverter" to start an EQ charge cycle. I've always thought it needed to be started from the Mate.

The FlexMax can start an EQ from their command menus, as they are designed for completely stand-alone operation. However, if they are communicating with the Mate, they will take their commands from it.