Forum Whiz
My RE system: Outback Radian GS-8048A inverter
2 FLEXmax-100-AFCI charge controller
2 Gyll 51.2V LiFePo4 100AH batteries
Mate3s
24 ZShine 390W panels

Wireless to ethernet bridge

Post by rickd »

What's a good wireless to ethernet bridge for the Mate3s that's not also an extender? I've using a borrowed one right now, but it's an extender and I don't want anything someone can connect to.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Wireless to ethernet bridge

Post by raysun »

I used an earlier version of this Trendnet unit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRENDnet-Wirel ... 3299096454

It was a lot less expensive than this N adapter. Most of these "game adapters" are now USB.

The extender being used is capable of encryption and password security, is it not? It should be easy to set it up such that unauthorized access is not possible. Of course, if the whole WiFi network is unsecured, all bets are off.

These days, I use a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostations for point-to-point connectivity across the 100' from my WiFi router and my power shed. https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Riiai-T ... a_1_2_sspa

They are a little "tweaky" to set up, but rock solid in service.
sbrownian
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048 FM80 FNDC Mate3
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Had 1200 Ahr FLA Locomotive batts
Just replaced with
2 x 300 Ah ReLion Lithium packs
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

Might look into a power line adapter kit as well..
Information, you get not; if incorrect question, you ask..
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

sbrownian wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:57 am Might look into a power line adapter kit as well..
Sez the power line guy. I sense a clear bias here.

😆

Seriously, this can be a good option if there is nothing interfering with the signal on the line.
sbrownian
Forum Czar
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Just replaced with
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

Amazingly, it is the answer I came up with to fix several WiFi connection problems.

The site I work on uses PLC to get 'internet' down to the gen shack located about 150' away from the main cabin. (And on out to a spot I mention later...)

The router is inside of 24" thick log walls, with low-e coated windows, so not much 2.4 gig Rf gets out.

I used one out of a set of three 500mb/s TP Link powerline / AP + ethernet devices to get a 2.4 gig signal down to a place where the owner likes to set up some comfortable chairs and watch the river while he works.

The internal link speeds run anywhere from 75 to 150mb depending on which leg of of the system the donor is on compared to the remote. (500mb full tilt, but I've never seen much over 200 reliably.)

The other two service some WiFi only external cameras, and camera / doorbells.
(No, I didn't design it, I just figured out how to make it work.)

Again, that 24" of log makes for a wonderful microwave absorber.

Took a bit of fiddling with MAC filtering tables to force the cameras to associate with the strongest AP signal, (WiFi is too stupid to actually find the strongest signal on its own,) but it seems to work fairly well now.
pss
Forum Czar
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Post by pss »

Check out Unify products. I have 2 of their outdoor units installed over 3 years ago. After setup, have never touched them. Range between them can be a few miles like for an RV park or campground. Many models and very reliable.
sbrownian
Forum Czar
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Just replaced with
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

We've put in some Ubitquiti Nano-Beams as temporary replacements for fiber links during construction. Cheap, about $100 each, and testing shows 200 - 300 mb/s for links under a mile, and they will go up to 5km (line of sight.) Easy to program with a blue tooth app they have, VLAN capable, along with routing functions, mesh, point to multi point, etc.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

Before any other broadband connection was available to me out here in the sticks (or rather lava fields) a neighbor let me "piggyback" on the Internet link at the satellite tracking station at Kalae - the southernmost spot in the U.S. I'm at 2700' and the station is about 25kM away, as the ʻalalā flies. We used Ubiquiti Nanostations and parabolic antennas. Worked great, except for the storms that frequently passed through the area filling the space between with megatons of water. The 2.5gHz units were marginally better than the 5gHz for punching through, as was the occasional "tweak" to raise the ERP well above legal limits. The benefits of living in Ka'u - its literally the Old West.