No Data Displayed on Mate3

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power
sahern
Forum Member

No Data Displayed on Mate3

Post by sahern »

Does this look like a Mate3 or Hub10 failure? No data is displayed but the system is working fine. I just have to go out to my power shed to look at the charge controller to check state of charge and when to run my generator, which really sucks when there's 12" of snow on the ground. I'm in the wilds of western Montana. If it's the Hub10, can I remove it for repairs and have the system still work?
Thanks for any suggestions.

System:
2-FX3648
Hub10
Mate3
Flexmax 80
24-230w panels
437.jpg
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric
Honda EU3000is generator

Re: No Data Displayed on Mate3

Post by provo »

Have you tried rebooting the Mate by unplugging the cable connecting it to the Hub, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging it back in? If it's easier, you can also do the unplugging and replugging of the cable at the Hub end.
sahern
Forum Member

Post by sahern »

Yep, the very first thing I tried :grin:
provo
Forum Czar
(4 strings, total 1920W)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

sahern wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:13 pm Yep, the very first thing I tried :grin:
Ah well, we're pushing the limits of my knowledge :-) .... Do you have OpticsRE running? Does it still work? Do you know if your Mate firmware is up to date? You could try using the "bootloader" update method with the latest release on a fresh SD card.
sahern
Forum Member

Post by sahern »

Not familiar with OpticsRE and I've never updated the firmware since installing the system in 2011. Suggestions? And thanks for the replies.
provo
Forum Czar
(4 strings, total 1920W)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

sahern wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:03 pm Not familiar with OpticsRE and I've never updated the firmware since installing the system in 2011. Suggestions? And thanks for the replies.
A 10-year old Mate3 might just be at end-of-life :sad: .... Here's a link to upgrading the firmware, but I don't know if that's the problem:

https://www.outbackpower.com/resources- ... re-updates
sahern
Forum Member

Post by sahern »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
sbrownian
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048 FM80 FNDC Mate3
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Had 1200 Ahr FLA Locomotive batts
Just replaced with
2 x 300 Ah ReLion Lithium packs
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

The system I mess with has a Mate 3 with version 003.019.001 and it's on Optics.

The earlier versions didn't have the "phone home" code built into them, if I understand correctly.
Information, you get not; if incorrect question, you ask..
aarman4
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: OFF-GRID in SouthWest Manitoba

Outback FLEXpower FXR-3648
-FM80 charge controller
-VFXR3648 Inverter
-Mate3s

3450W Solar Array
-15 * 230W Solarfun panels

5120 W/Hr Battery Bank
-16 * CALB 100Ah CA LiFePO4 batteries

Post by aarman4 »

Hello, I know this is an older thread, but I just went through an identical issue with my Flexpower one that has a Mate3s as the controller.

My screen had been glitchy for a year, every once in a while showing a screen almost exactly the same as the Mate3 that the original poster shows. I was unable to access the lock menu because it just brought up garbly things. Several days ago, the screen went from the wonderful info screen and changed into the locked up "no info screen", my guess is permanently.

To solve, I shut off my breakers on the lower side of the inverter so that the inverter and charge controller were off. I then pulled outward with a pair of pliers on the side tab of the plastic panel that is on the bottom of the "hub" (rectangular thing with all of the lights and says 'hub' in the corner). It has 6 or 7 ethernet cables hooked into it under the cover, and on mine, the far right one is plugged in to a port labelled "Mate #1".....I unplugged it, and left it for about 5 minutes while I decided to clean the inverter fan filter.

About 5 seconds after disconnecting it, I heard an audible 'click' from within the Mate3s. I am assuming it is a relay of some sort, and am guessing that is all I needed to wait for before plugging back in, but I left mine for 5 minutes nonetheless.

I had a fresh firmware downloaded onto the SD card, and when I plugged in the Mate3s, I was thrilled to have my normal screen working again. I installed the SD card and went into the lock menu and updated the firmware, and then also loaded my saved settings from the SD card to the Mate3s, and then double and triple checked them, as I use LiFePO4 batteries with no battery balancing manager, so the charge controller settings must be perfect to protect my batteries.

Everything appears to be working like new right now, I just wanted to post this in case somebody else has the exact same problem, even though it will likely be me reading this in the future to fix this same problem again!

Cheers and good luck!
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

There is an alternate firmware loader method if ever stuck on an unintelligible screen.

•Unplug the Mate from the Hub (to power it off).
•Insert an SD card with the firmware properly written to it.
•While pressing the UP arrow key, plug the Mate back in to power it up.
•Continue pressing the UP arrow key until the screen indicates "loading firmware" (if it can).
sahern
Forum Member

Post by sahern »

I'm currently waiting on a replacement Hub, tech support says that it is the problem and can't be repaired :( but will give these suggestions a try before it gets here. Thanks for the info.