WattPlot returns!

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power
intellact
Forum Czar

WattPlot returns!

Post by intellact »

Hello OutBack users!

Where do the years go...? :shock:

Okay, WattPlot is not exactly back to where it was, but a LOT of work went into software that was never released, and it deserves to be out there and used a bit. :smile:

So, I'm putting out the most recent (i.e. almost 2 years ago) Alpha version of the new WattPlot 6.0 tool called ACKcess, for anyone to download and run, with no activation required. (I.e. this version is free.)

It's kind of like OpticsRE, except that it does way more and it runs locally, so no internet is required. (You can find some feature lists and screen shots here. (For instance, imagine programming your own MATE3 or AXS Port with multiple-condition rules, using unlimited parameters.) :cool:

At the moment it is unsupported and buggy, so use at your own risk, but the errors (at worst) will just kill the program, not your system. (Yes, you can send me stuff - but don't necessarily expect a response. :roll: I'm still volunteering with the Canadian Red Cross, dealing with a little bugger called SARS-CoV-2.)

It doesn't have an install program yet, so I would install WattPlot Monitor 5.0, and then grab this EXE, download it into c:\Program Files (x86)\WattPlot, and run it from there.

One of these days, something more will happen with this. :roll:

Not dead yet................ :razz:
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: WattPlot returns!

Post by raysun »

Hello Andrew.

Its marvelous to hear from you!

Glad to hear Wattplot isn't dead.

(Though as au current as it is snarky, no Monty Python and the Holy Grail scene inserted here.)

Cheers!
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS.

Post by JRHill »

Very good news. I am looking forward to seeing what is next up with Wattplot!
intellact
Forum Czar

Post by intellact »

Hi all:

I received an email from a long-time WattPlot Monitor user who said that the long-standing 'last release' of WattPlot Monitor (5.1.5.0) was giving them consistent problems with their European-version Radian set-up.

This is not acceptable behaviour from a 'final' version, so I spent a long time working with them to track down the problem. We final nailed it, and I have put out a new release of WattPlot Monitor - the first in two years.

If you have been experiencing similar problems (or gave up 2 years ago), it might be time to try again. :wink:
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot
WyattSmith101
Forum Member
My RE system: Mate3
2 x GVFX3048E
2 x FX80 48V
24 x 12v200aH batteries (Lead Acid)
6kW PV panels

Post by WyattSmith101 »

It looks good but seems to be less functional than Monitor. You can’t even do simple things like change the AC input state. :sad:
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

WyattSmith101 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 pm It looks good but seems to be less functional than Monitor. You can’t even do simple things like change the AC input state. :sad:
Change AC input state on what?

You have no equipment listed in your profile.
WyattSmith101
Forum Member
2 x GVFX3048E
2 x FX80 48V
6kW PV panels

Post by WyattSmith101 »

Change AC input state from AC use to AC drop on a GVFx3084E inverter.

Any command I try to send to the MATE3 causes the program to crash because of an unhandled exception.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

WyattSmith101 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:50 pm Change AC input state from AC use to AC drop on a GVFx3084E inverter.

Any command I try to send to the MATE3 causes the program to crash because of an unhandled exception.
OK - "Any Command" is a bit broader than "AC input".

I wonder if it has to do with the connection method between the Wattplot application / PC and the Mate?

Early on, I used the USB accessory available for the Mate3, but it used a Windows driver that was a real "problem child". It eventually refused to load entirely under Windows 8/10, so I switched to the network connection.
WyattSmith101
Forum Member
2 x GVFX3048E
2 x FX80 48V
6kW PV panels

Post by WyattSmith101 »

Personally I would prefer it if Wattplot monitor could be completed. I’ve only been using it for 2 weeks and it is infinitely better than OpticsRE. However it still has many features that aren’t implemented.

Two examples: 1) if I set up any rule and it triggers perfectly then I change it to wait for the condition to be valid for 5 seconds it no longer triggers.
2) Any rule that is supposed to trigger another rule doesn’t work or doesn’t trigger the second rule. Also, when I come back to edit the rule again (or to edit any other rule) the second rule trigger is empty.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

I’ve only been using it for 2 weeks and it is infinitely better than OpticsRE.
I was never good at advanced math concepts, but infinity seems to be a smaller number than I was lead to believe. 😉

Wattplot has its advantages, most certainly, but serves entirely different purposes.

Since its inception (well before OpticsRE), Andrew has put a Herculean effort into the software suite. We were all saddened when he was forced to drop support to attend to other life demands, as we are heartened at his return to the forum in any capacity.

It would be entirely presumptuous of me to peer into the future of Wattplot, but I wouldn't hold my breath over significant changes to the code.
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS.

Post by JRHill »

raysun wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:28 am
I was never good at advanced math concepts, but infinity seems to be a smaller number than I was lead to believe. 😉

Wattplot has its advantages, most certainly, but serves entirely different purposes.

Since its inception (well before OpticsRE), Andrew has put a Herclean effort into the software suite. We were all saddened when he was forced to drop support to attend to other life demands, as we are heartened at his return to the forum in any capacity.

It would be entirely presumptuous of me to peer into the future of Wattplot, but I wouldn't hold my breath over significant changes to the code.
I would agree. I really like WattPlot but my issue was more of a personal problem. I lost all history twice. In the world of the off gridder on satellite I don't have the luxury of a streaming cloud backup. So with laziness in place and no recent backup everything disappeared at an unrecoverable hardware failure. With the identical model 2nd laptop it happened again. The 'ol Thinkpad T60's were really good at making the hard drive impossible to access separate from its original chassis. We don't need remote access from everywhere but we do need cloud services for all but the most critical data.

WattPlot has tons of stuff I never used but I like the layout and flexibility. At the same time, OpticRE does everything I need and I have never lost data unless the system was down, modems off, etc., and then there is no meaningful data anyway. With OpticsRE, whether the connection is live or not the data flow is so insignificant there is no impact to our quota. [Same with a new installation of WeatherLink to their site! Thread drift warning! It should be part of OpticsRE.]

I really like WattPlot. Thanks for all of your work, Andrew.

Last thought: WattPlot to Google Drive?
sbrownian
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048 FM80 FNDC Mate3
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Had 1200 Ahr FLA Locomotive batts
Just replaced with
2 x 300 Ah ReLion Lithium packs
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

What about an SD card in the Mate?
Are you logging to that as well?

An 8 gig card can hold literally YEARS of data..
Information, you get not; if incorrect question, you ask..
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

sbrownian wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:49 am What about an SD card in the Mate?
Are you logging to that as well?

An 8 gig card can hold literally YEARS of data..
Yeah, and that's another place WattPlot shines - reading the SD card. I did try to read the SD files and concatenate them into one file. It was a bit rough. There was a reason my employer didn't want their hardware back when I retired. Those old T60s were working machines but they both died for different reasons 9 mos apart. It was frustrating. So mostly I dedicated myself to cloud apps after that.
sbrownian
Forum Czar
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Just replaced with
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

Ah, the good 'ol Stinkpad strikes again...
Funny though, they are actually pretty tough over all... Got one at work running DOS 6.22 for some OLD equipment.

I think we can breather easier now, though.

One of the guys managed to get a DOS emulator working under Win10 that actually will handle the I/O correctly and we are able to use that to work with the equipment, and that gear is being replaced, one unit at a time.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

Got one at work running DOS 6.22 for some OLD equipment.
LOL!

So is the UPS for that unit run by a coal-fired steam boiler?
sbrownian
Forum Czar
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Just replaced with
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

raysun wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:07 pm
Got one at work running DOS 6.22 for some OLD equipment.
LOL!

So is the UPS for that unit run by a coal-fired steam boiler?
Ground up fish...
WyattSmith101
Forum Member
2 x GVFX3048E
2 x FX80 48V
6kW PV panels

Post by WyattSmith101 »

Since its inception (well before OpticsRE), Andrew has put a Herculean effort into the software suite. We were all saddened when he was forced to drop support to attend to other life demands, as we are heartened at his return to the forum in any capacity.

I have found that OpticsRE lags so badly. I have Wattplot and OpticsRE running on the same computer and the information displayed on OpticsRE is often totally unrelated to what the system is doing now. Also the actual figures it displays are usually inaccurate, especially the load. I have a monitor for the AC load supplied by the electricity utility and OpticsRE is off by at least 0.2kW at the low end and more as the load increases. Wattplot figures are pretty much identical to the monitor.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

WyattSmith101 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:26 pm

I have found that OpticsRE lags so badly. I have Wattplot and OpticsRE running on the same computer and the information displayed on OpticsRE is often totally unrelated to what the system is doing now. Also the actual figures it displays are usually inaccurate, especially the load. I have a monitor for the AC load supplied by the electricity utility and OpticsRE is off by at least 0.2kW at the low end and more as the load increases. Wattplot figures are pretty much identical to the monitor.
Whatever floats your boat.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

I don't get it How can you pull from the Mate3x for both Optics and Wattplot?
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

JRHill wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:36 am I don't get it How can you pull from the Mate3x for both Optics and Wattplot?
Wattplot is capable of reading the Modbus/Sunspec stream. Optics gets a 30 second snapshot of the same data.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

raysun wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:45 am
JRHill wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:36 am I don't get it How can you pull from the Mate3x for both Optics and Wattplot?
Wattplot is capable of reading the Modbus/Sunspec stream. Optics gets a 30 second snapshot of the same data.
No, no thanks.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

JRHill wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:52 am
raysun wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:45 am
No, no thanks.
It works OK. I run both without any co-interferance issues. Early on, I watched every tick of Wattplot, but as time when on, it was less important. My system is quite stable, and doesn't need any complex compound commands to keep it on the straight and narrow. Output power is an exercise in chasing one's tail as the OB gear measures VA instead of Watts, and the calculations to compare "apples with oranges" is just too tedious to be worthwhile.

What Optics displays is current enough for most purposes. If I need to watch it tick-by-tick, I read from the Mate's internal web server.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

raysun wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:25 amIf I need to watch it tick-by-tick, I read from the Mate's internal web server.
And there you have it. I still have it up and down but that's network my problem.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

JRHill wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:42 am
raysun wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:25 amIf I need to watch it tick-by-tick, I read from the Mate's internal web server.
And there you have it. I still have it up and down but that's network my problem.
The TCP/Modbus link is twitchy on my LAN. I wonder if the Mate isn't as robust as, say, the AXS port in that respect. If I'm going to work with a Wattplot session, I habitually restart it.
sbrownian
Forum Czar
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Just replaced with
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

Not sure if it's worth the time or not, but a Wireshark capture should show who is dropping the connection...