upgrade Mate 3 to Mate 3s

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power
bigwooo
Forum Expert
My RE system: Off-grid, 11 kw solar, parallel Midnight Solar E-panels with parallel Outback FXR3048 inverters, Mate 3, Three FM80 charge controllers, 516 amps @48volts Concorde AGM batteries, 6500 watt Honda backup generator.

upgrade Mate 3 to Mate 3s

Post by bigwooo »

I currently have a Mate 3 and will be installing an Mate 3S. I can't find any information on what programming is necessary when installing a new Mate into an existing system. I have parallel FXR 3048A inverters and 3 FM 80's. I'm assuming that when I re-boot the system with the Mate 3S it will recognize the setpoints already programmed into the Inverters and FM 80's, and that all I will have to is confirm the settings then reprogram the system settings in the Mate 3? Or......do I need to start from scratch and reprogram everything?

Thanks!
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS. X240 with big Bertha way off in the shop. Off grid.

Re: upgrade Mate 3 to Mate 3s

Post by JRHill »

You shouldn't have to restart your system. Remove the Mate3 and plug in the 3s with the fresh SD card. Many settings will be updated in the 3s but you might want to use the set-up wizard to add anything missing and needed. The wizard may not cover everything.

Hint: if you use OpticsRE, go to the Device Map and click on each device. At the bottom of each tab you will see Print. Print the tab to a PDF for all your devices. It will save a lot of headaches if you can't recall a missing setting.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

The Mate3s should power up, interrogate the equipment, and "read in" their programming. Mate-specific programming will need to be duplicated.

The system is pretty good at the conversion, but I went through each parameter anyway just to make sure nothing looked "out of whack".

IME, I don't recommend the Wizard, other than on a brand-new system. It will overwrite values one may not wish to have changed.

Same with backup/restore a Mate profile. The 3s has parameters not found in the 3. It can lead to some indeterminate values.

I found the swap from 3 to 3s to be pleasantly free of pain.
bigwooo
Forum Expert
My RE system: Off-grid, 11 kw solar, parallel Midnight Solar E-panels with parallel Outback FXR3048 inverters, Mate 3, Three FM80 charge controllers, 516 amps @48volts Concorde AGM batteries, 6500 watt Honda backup generator.

Post by bigwooo »

Once again thank you. Unfortunately, at least so far, my internet signal doesn't reach my solar room, so no Optics RE for printing out the settings. That's one of my future projects. Since I have to power down to install the new Simpliphi batteries (when they get here), I'll install the mate 3S then. I made a list of my current parameters for comparison after I fire it back up.

One bit of advice for anyone wanting to add Phi batteries with a mate 3. I made some calls to tech support numbers to see if the mate 3 was compatible with the new simpliphi batteries and was told it would work. I thought I could save some $$ by holding onto the Mate 3. Unfortunately for me, my inverters (FXR3048A) are running older firmware (001-016-015). In this version the max battery cutout voltage is 48v. The Simpliphi batteries need to have the cut out at 50 volts. The new firmware version (001-006-063) allows a higher cut out voltage which the Phi batteries need.

The mate 3 cannot be used to upgrade the inverters to the newer version. Only a Mate 3S can. So...I guess if you have FXR inverter(s) that already have the newer version (063) the Mate 3 will work, but if not, you need a mate 3S to update the inverters.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
6 SimpliPhi 3.8-48 (48v @ 75AH. 450AH total)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

Outback states FXR inverters require the Mate3s. You've described one reason for it.