My RE system: Off Grid System:
Flexware 1000 system with
4 VFX3648s, X-240, 2 Flexmax 80s, FN-DC, HUB10 and a Mate3
controlling 30 Sharp 240w panels and
charging 48V HUP Solar 1 SO-6-85-33 batteries
12kw Isuzu/Mecc Alte diesel generator

Gateway power down/up causing generator to shut down

Post by cgarai »

My Mate 3 is throwing lots of the Gateway Power Down/Up message pairs. It was set up to reset every 8 hours, but I'm seeing the messages happening as close as 10 minutes apart. I wouldn't have notice this except that over the last couple weeks the AGS would start the generator and then after 15 or so minutes it would shut off. When that happened I would just manual start and then switch back to Auto and all would be good (except for the nagging note to self about figuring out why.)

I'm now realizing that if the AGS has started the generator and the Power Down/Up happens, the system detects a faulty AC voltage and/or frequency and shuts the generator off. The 4 inverters typically show different values of freq or voltage which I'm thinking means that they are not real measurements.

Last night I disabled the Auto Reboot after reading a thread about the Gateway up/down nonsense. The AGS started the generator several times over night then shut down, each time after a Gateway Power Up/Down. It would only run a few minutes before shutting down. As I write this I just watched the Mate3 reset light show while charging on Manual mode and the generator stayed on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Gateway power down/up causing generator to shut down

Post by raysun »

I'm not an AGS user so no help there, but its obviously controlled to a good degree by the Mate.

The frequent gateway power down/ power up sounds like a "reboot" caused by some sort of system instability - either external to the Mate (communication error, etc.), or internal to the unit (failing hardware, corrupt firmware.)

The easiest "fixes" to try would be to:

Load (or reload) the latest firmware in the Mate3.

Replace the communication cables for the Mate3 - Hub connection. Also, Mate3 - Router ethernet connection. Checking the RJ45 socket "finger connectors) for corrosion, debris, or damage, and addressing anything found may help.
bluespur
Forum Virtuoso
My RE system: VFX3024x2
Flexmax60x2
3000W total solar, 135w panel array and 220w panel array
Mate3
12xHawker Perfect Plus 8PZS120 FLA batteries
Own built generator Kubota D600 engine, 7.5Kw gen head

Post by bluespur »

My experience is that if there is an AGS run in progress, and the gateway is rebooted, the AGS run stops. I have always assumed this is because when the mate stops, the signal to the device that is doing the AGS start also stops.
Cheers
Garth
cgarai
Forum Virtuoso
My RE system: Off Grid System:
Flexware 1000 system with
4 VFX3648s, X-240, 2 Flexmax 80s, FN-DC, HUB10 and a Mate3
controlling 30 Sharp 240w panels and
charging 48V HUP Solar 1 SO-6-85-33 batteries
12kw Isuzu/Mecc Alte diesel generator

Post by cgarai »

The logs are showing that the Mate resets many times a day. Over the past few days it has been resetting every 10 - 20 minutes. I was just trying to look at one of the graph screens and the keypad froze. After a minute or so it flashed and then started the circular lights and reboot screens.

I have cleaned the terminals at the Hub and the Mate and tested the cable (it's good) and it is still resetting. I'm fairly certain that it is the Mate because I didn't see the screen go dead as if the Hub or the connection was faulty. That is unless a sag in the Hub supply voltage could cause it.

Is there any thing else I should do to be certain that the Mate is the issue? I have my old Mate 2. I haven't plugged it in because I'm concerned about getting the settings right.

Thanks,
Chris