MATE3s won't update firmware

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power
Megunticook
Forum Guru
My RE system: 6.4 kW solar array (21 QCell 305 panels in strings of 3)
GS8048A FLEXpower Radian (Radian 8048A, 2 FlexMax 80 cc's, Mate 3s, FlexNet DC, Hub)
8x6v Rolls-Surette 550 FLA batteries, 428AH

MATE3s won't update firmware

Post by Megunticook »

I have a MATE3s currently on firmware version 1.4.2. I downloaded version 1.4.5 but am striking out completely as far as installing it.

Following the instructions provided by Outback on the firmware page carefully. I've upgraded the firmware probably 3-4 times since buying the system, never had this issue.

Basically I have all the firmware files on the SD card, I insert the card into the MATE3s, and when I go to update the firmware instead of displaying what the new version of firmware is it says instead "Invalid MATE3 update file"

I've gone through this process 5 times, each time reformatting the SD card, downloading the firmware again, extracting the files onto the card, and attempting the upgrade.

Guessed maybe I couldn't skip from version 1.4.2 to 1.4.5 so tried 1.4.3 but got the same message about "invalid MATE3 update file"

Any ideas what might be going on here? I'm kind of stuck at this point...thanks for any advice.

Has anyone else had issues upgrading the firmware?
https://sunnypower.org
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric
Honda EU3000is generator

Re: MATE3s won't update firmware

Post by provo »

I'm on 1.4.4, which isn't even available now (jumps from .3 to .5).
1.4.4 has been fine.
Maybe 1.4.5 is buggy. It's dated November, I wonder how many folks here are using it already.

Also, have you tried a different SD card?
Megunticook
Forum Guru
GS8048A FLEXpower Radian (Radian 8048A, 2 FlexMax 80 cc's, Mate 3s, FlexNet DC, Hub)

Post by Megunticook »

I just ordered a new 8GB SD card (mine's 32). It's always worked, though, so not sure that's the issue. And I'm able to save my system profile to the card, for example, so it seems to be working.

But the MATE3s is an odd beast with the capacity to be very fussy at times. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone since everything's working OK, but I like to keep firmware current when possible.
Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Post by Greg T Fordan »

Check your update files. It is supposed to be MATE3s update files, not MATE3.
I recommend delete the previous files and install all the fresh files in the root directory.
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies
Megunticook
Forum Guru

Post by Megunticook »

Greg T Fordan wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:04 pm Check your update files. It is supposed to be MATE3s update files, not MATE3.
I recommend delete the previous files and install all the fresh files in the root directory.
I've done this several times--re-downloaded the files each time. Tried with two different firmware versions, too.

Guessing that "MATE3" in the message given by the MATE3s is just a typo.
Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Post by Greg T Fordan »

Ensure that on your root directory, you have the following files:
1. WEBFILES (folder)
2. M3s.bin
3. M3sEth.bin
4. MATE3s 001.004.005 Read Me
5. screens
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies
Megunticook
Forum Guru

Post by Megunticook »

Greg T Fordan wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:20 pm Ensure that on your root directory, you have the following files:
1. WEBFILES (folder)
2. M3s.bin
3. M3sEth.bin
4. MATE3s 001.004.005 Read Me
5. screens
Yes, those are the files on my SD card. For some reason the MATE3s thinks they're not right or it's missing something.

I also tried with the 1.4.3 firmware version.
Megunticook
Forum Guru

Post by Megunticook »

My new SD card arrived today so I formatted the card (FAT32), downloaded a fresh copy of the latest Firmware, loaded it on the card, and attempted to update. It went through the process, the lights flashed, but then I got an unsettling message like "cannot copy files." After that it locked up...I couldn't enter any of the screens. So I restarted the MATE3s. After the restart I checked the FW version--still on the old one.

After several unsuccessful attempts I was finally able to make it work--but I had to use the old SD card. Go figure.

Then I tried to save the system config. on the new card to see if it would work. MATE3s said it couldn't read the card. Then I switched to the old card. Same thing. Tried both cards again several times and neither would work.

Noticed also that the new card wouldn't "eject" normally by pushing the card in and letting it "pop" partway out of the slot. I have to grab it and pull it straight out from the fully seated position.

Could my MATE be having problems with the card reader? Something is definitely not right. Or am I missing something?

Better check my warranty--the MATE3s I have now is a warranty replacement for the original one that had issues. Pretty sure it shipped in January 2018 (original was September 2017).
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

I don't know if my problems with the Mate3s are related to your problems, but SD card issues were causing me grief as well.

The original 8GB SD card died a good while ago so I replaced it with a 16GB card I had laying around when updating the firmware, which did so successfully. I never really noticed, but the Mate never wrote RPY files or log files to the SD card. I bought a new SD card - 32GB to do another update, and the Mate wouldn't read it when using the UPDATE FIRMWARE menu item. It would load the update if using the bootloader (reboot while holding the UP arrow.) However, after the update, the navigation buttons would not return the display to the main status screen, after entering the configuration menus via the LOCK key, a reboot was required. I didn't do much with that issue until I got my Flexpower Two panel, and switched Mates to continue using my registered unit. Same problem with navigation. With no other solution working, I ejected the SD card, and lo-and-behold, the navigation went back to normal. Put the card back in, and navigation goes a kilter. I bought some 8GB SD cards for the latest firmware upgrade and they work fine for update, navigation and log writing. Apparently my Mate3s needs the 15+ year old edition 8GB Class 4 SD cards to function. I'm going to buy a pile of them to give to my Outback-using friends as Christmas presents.
Megunticook
Forum Guru

Post by Megunticook »

It does seem like something wonky is happening with the card reading device.

Looks like the new 8GB card I got last week is a class 10. Doesn't say anything in any of the MATE3s documentation about what class of card you need to use, but I suppose that's possible.

What's odd is my 32GB card had always worked in it--until now. Doesn't make sense, unless the card reader has somehow deteriorated.

What do you make of the MATE3s not being able to eject the new card? It looks identical to the other card, which ejects just fine.

Well at least I have the firmware updated for now. But would like to resolve this so I can export configuration settings for backup, log files, etc.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

Megunticook wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:56 pm It does seem like something wonky is happening with the card reading device.

Looks like the new 8GB card I got last week is a class 10. Doesn't say anything in any of the MATE3s documentation about what class of card you need to use, but I suppose that's possible.

What's odd is my 32GB card had always worked in it--until now. Doesn't make sense, unless the card reader has somehow deteriorated.

What do you make of the MATE3s not being able to eject the new card? It looks identical to the other card, which ejects just fine.

Well at least I have the firmware updated for now. But would like to resolve this so I can export configuration settings for backup, log files, etc.
I've had so many iterations of cards that worked and that didn't, I'm not a reliable resource for what's guaranteed to work, just what's the latest thing to work for me.

I'd think all SD cards *should* have identical physical properties. Could there be some goo on the shell, or debris in the reader?
Megunticook
Forum Guru

Post by Megunticook »

raysun wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:19 pmCould there be some goo on the shell, or debris in the reader?
Nothing on the disk--possible somethings in the slot, but then why would the older disk eject just fine?

I'll investigate further but I'm wondering if the card reader is somehow going bad. Hate to do another warranty replacement but if I can't update FW or export data it's kind of a significant issue.

Very happy with my system but the MATE3s has definitely always been the weak link.
Megunticook
Forum Guru

Post by Megunticook »

So I tried exporting my settings profile again using the old SD card...and it worked!

Looks like this is going to be one of those fun "intermittent" problems. Ugh.

All's well for now anyway, firmware is current and settings profile is backed up. We'll see what happens at the next firmware update.