Solar powered well: Chlorine shock?

A place to post images and descriptions of your OutBack Power System

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

FabrinRodriguez
Forum Junior Member

Solar powered well: Chlorine shock?

Post by FabrinRodriguez »

Yes, I know this is off any topic for the purpose of this site. But there are many of us encountering the same maintenance issues and I want to tap the collective wisdom if OK with site Moderators:

I haven't ever shocked the system but I think its time after five years. The well is 195' with the pump at 165', static level at 140', 11 gpm max, 80 gallon p-tank. Water is excellent, very little in the way of particulates but I'm seeing grunge building up around the faucets faster. I'm curious about best practices, not just dumping a few gallons of Clorox down the cap on the column and trickling the faucets. Any one with professional advice and precautions from past experience?

TIA,
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Solar powered well: Chlorine shock?

Post by raysun »

What is the nature of the "grunge" at the faucets? Mineral buildup? Green organic matter (algae)?

Has the water been tested? pH? Total dissolved solids (TDS)? Mineral content? Microbes?

I'd be wary of "shocking" a well, though, it's not unheard of. A few gallons of Clorox would not be the best choice however, from a concentration or chemical composition perspective. Chlorine is a powerful sanitizer, but it kills good as well as bad. The biome in the well has reached a stasis, whatever it may be. Upsetting that in the well can lead to unintended consequences. The residual sodium from such an application is going to persist in the well for a while.

Depending on water mineral content, Calcium Chloride may be a better consideration; or dry bleach - Calcium Hypochlorite.

It sounds like the well feeds a pressure tank without any intermediate storage. Is this the case? Is there any filtering in line with the water feed? What type?

Though substantially more costly than a bucket of chemicals, a sand bed particulate filter is a widely accepted method for management of organic matter in potable water systems. The automatic back-flushing varieties are the best choice. Mineral filtering can take many forms, depending of the specific minerals. Activated Carbon is almost universally employed for its broad-spectrum adsorption of certain mineral and organic compounds.
Mike Curran
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Outback - Garage roof:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one FM80 (2007/2020 - replaced MX60)
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80 (2017)
- 2 grid-tied VFXR3524A-01's series stacked, replaced GVFX's (2020)
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah (2007)
- Hub10.3, Mate3s, FNDC, RTS. Tigo ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar - Barn roof: (2012)
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied

Outback Skybox - Barn roof: (2019)
- 14 Talesun 275W in series (DC array input to SB inverter/charger)
- 3 SimpliPhi 3.8 batteries, 48V, 225Ah total
- AC coupled input from 14 Talesun 275W, Enphase M215 microinverters

All self-designed and self-installed

Post by Mike Curran »

If you want to do this, here's the procedure I used the one time I've done it over the 40 years I've lived here. Only did it because my water softener failed and toilet tanks were crudded up with iron and related growth. Fairly simple.. https://drive.google.com/file/d/110R9g8 ... p=drivesdk
https://smart.tigoenergy.com/p/pZXn7SZQyO45?date=2021-04-19
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Hctc107221
FabrinRodriguez
Forum Junior Member

Post by FabrinRodriguez »

FabrinRodriguez wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:27 am Yes, I know this is off any topic for the purpose of this site. But there are many of us encountering the same maintenance issues and I want to tap the collective wisdom if OK with site Moderators:

I haven't ever shocked the system but I think its time after five years. The well is 195' with the pump at 165', static level at 140', 11 gpm max, 80 gallon p-tank. Water is excellent, omegle xender very little in the way of particulates but I'm seeing grunge building up around the faucets faster. I'm curious about best practices, not just dumping a few gallons of Clorox down the cap on the column and trickling the faucets. Any one with professional advice and precautions from past experience?

TIA,
thank you my issue has been solved