PSAC Buss Bars

Discussion about OutBacks "PS" enclosures

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

solarbri
Forum Whiz

PSAC Buss Bars

Post by solarbri »

So I'm hooking up our third building to our single Outback Power system here on our off grid farm and I'm running into a problem.
For the AC out loads, the buss bars only have three larger sized holes to accept large gauge wire and I need a forth hole.
Does Outback have another buss bar available for my two AC out legs that have 4 large holes?
Is this my easiest fix?
Any suggestions on where to find these?
GreenerPower
Forum Guru

Re: PSAC Buss Bars

Post by GreenerPower »

You can use a split bolt to attach another wire to your existing one or buy additional OB buss-bars and put them into an electrical enclosure for room to expand in the future.
GP
solarbri
Forum Whiz

Post by solarbri »

GreenerPower wrote:You can use a split bolt to attach another wire to your existing one or buy additional OB buss-bars and put them into an electrical enclosure for room to expand in the future.
GP
Really?!?
Using a split bolt to attach a small pigtail of say 8 or 10 gauge wire to the end of a 2 gauge home run to the barn, which will probably never see more than a 15-30 amp 110 Volt, is an acceptable and safe method ?
GreenerPower
Forum Guru

Post by GreenerPower »

First, I thought you need to use #1 or #2 guage wires since you need an extra large hole. For #8 or #10 guage wires, the other holes on the OB buss-bars are probably sufficient.
NEC allows to use split-bolt for splicing where conductors are too large to use wire nuts. See this article on the section of using split-bolt.
If you strip enough insulation on your existing large wire, you can bolt this inside the PSAC close to the buss-bar and don't have to worry about wrap it with sufficient insulation.
From your comments, are you trying to splice #8 or #10 to the other end of your #2 wire for shorter run (not the end connected to the PSAC) ? You can do this provided that this wire is protected by proper breaker and you insulate the splice as required.
GP
Be greener and may the force be with you
tallgirl
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 8 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH),

Post by tallgirl »

NO! Do not go using a split bolt to connect some other, smaller guage wiring to anything.

What you need is a subpanel with the appropriate sized wiring from the AC out bus to the subpanel input. THEN, and only then, do you add breakers to that subpanel for each of your connections, using the appropriate sized wiring AND circuit breakers.

As soon as you tap a conductor with a smaller sized conductor you must immediately reduce the permissible amperage on that conductor to the ampacity of the smallest conductor AND you must protect those conductors with a circuit breaker rated for that ampacity.
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.
GreenerPower
Forum Guru

Post by GreenerPower »

tallgirl wrote:NO! Do not go using a split bolt to connect some other, smaller guage wiring to anything.
....As soon as you tap a conductor with a smaller sized conductor you must immediately reduce the permissible amperage on that conductor to the ampacity of the smallest conductor AND you must protect those conductors with a circuit breaker rated for that ampacity.
If the splice is for serial run, yes, the upstream breaker should be sized protect the smallest wire. If the splice is for tap for branch circuit which is this case, the larger wire is protected by upstream breaker (OB 50A AC out breaker), the branch circuit needs to be protected by proper breaker 15A for #14 for example. NEC 312.8 really addresses taps inside a small switch box but allows tap for branch circuit to a breaker if space is adequate.
GP
Be greener and may the force be with you